Author Topic: The scummiest of all sell outs  (Read 24189 times)

JamesFardy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The scummiest of all sell outs
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2018, 06:48:13 AM »
not ONE mention of how small the quarter pipe is?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2018, 06:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Feel like it's still not as terrible as Red Bull & Monster, kids chug that shit and it will kill you.

Also the scummiest sponsorship I've seen was the US Navy sponsoring the X games this year. That shit was disgusting, advertising killing yourself to a bunch of teenagers who are obviously not risk averse (into skateboarding) and probably from the lower income bracket families, it's almost creepy how well that marketing probably works. Also, between the runs having people like Nyjah come on screen and say "If I didn't start skateboarding, I definitely would have joined to US Navy..."
[close]

I recall the US Army (or maybe it was the Marines?) having ads in Transworld for years as well

They've been sponsoring XGames since the beginning.

The local X Games Skatepark at the mall (circa 2000) had an Army recruitment center literally across the hall that had some kind of Laser Tag shit that you did from a mock up helicopter because war is really just like a fun game with no consequences.

fftc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2018, 08:53:56 AM »
because war is really just like a fun game with no consequences.

Gotta love that shit, but parents lap it up. Army in the town centre, here, let your son hold this machine gun.  ::) And don't get me started on the family entertainment that is air shows!

This thread amuses me slightly as I am one of those dumb bastards that both joined the Army and got into debt problems! All well in my past now, but I would definitely class the Armed Forces recruitment and energy drinks as the worst of the sponsorship axis of evil. It might be acceptable to look down on Amex sponsorship as selling out, but the whole fucking western world has sold out so not sure focusing on that will get anyone anywhere fast. Still, sometimes it's nice just to have a good whinge.

Pretty Serious

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2018, 09:12:37 AM »
What did Arto say to the skate nerds telling him he sold out?

Saari

Apparently you didn't hear his last words..
http://youtu.be/XA8PXbTb7OQ

stranded

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »
If you get a credit card, don’t get an AmEx. They charge merchants more, have higher interest rates and have high annual fees. AmEx is like that frat kid at a festival who keeps trying to sell you overpriced drugs you don’t want.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2018, 09:47:27 AM »
If you get a credit card, don’t get an AmEx. They charge merchants more, have higher interest rates and have high annual fees. AmEx is like that frat kid at a festival who keeps trying to sell you overpriced drugs you don’t want.
And when you finally break it the test kit, they turn out to be completely different.
I had an AmEx for 4 months, once. So many fees.

headtowall

• Rep: -14
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »
Amex is actually the best card to have, so many benefits that come with the annual fee, plus you have to be extra responsible because the balance is due each month (save for larger purchases you can split). I use mine like a debit card and pay off each month so I stack points, but for things like my honeymoon I was able to pay the 6500 over time where most cards interest rates are way higher. If you are financially responsible and not a dipshit its the best. *Cardholder Since 2010

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2018, 09:50:45 AM »
was arto ever anti corporation or something? is that why he is a sellout?

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »
In for a long fight here... The more and more mainstream skateboarding becomes, this monster will continue to grow.

If there is a dollar to be made, someone will be all over it. And considering most guys seem to make their cash from something other then actual skateboard companies... The lines become blurred, trying to figure out who to shit on.

Mountain Dew probably isn't a staple for anyone trying to avoid say- diabetes. Yet they been paying skaters for a damn decade and sponsoring events forever.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »
Amex is actually the best card to have, so many benefits that come with the annual fee, plus you have to be extra responsible because the balance is due each month (save for larger purchases you can split). I use mine like a debit card and pay off each month so I stack points, but for things like my honeymoon I was able to pay the 6500 over time where most cards interest rates are way higher. If you are financially responsible and not a dipshit its the best. *Cardholder Since 2010

this is a bit misleading because there are different amex cards these days. its not like it was back in the day when there was only one version.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1219
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2018, 09:54:30 AM »
How do we even know this is a paid promotion?

Maybe he is doing what any normal person would: publicly thanking his credit card company for helping him purchase concrete.  Who amongst us hasn’t done that in our lives?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2018, 09:55:36 AM »
How do we even know this is a paid promotion?

Maybe he is doing what any normal person would: publicly thanking his credit card company for helping him purchase concrete.  Who amongst us hasn’t done that in our lives?

because it has #ad in the post

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
Arto is like any band you liked from 15+ years ago

they may technically still be active, but you only care about Sorry and Really Sorry
Damn that's so true, and relatable to so many skaters.

Edit: I like his part in the Mindfield video.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
I don’t know where the idea that I have all this credit card debt is coming from. I don’t have any at all. Caring about larger social issues doesn’t automatically mean you are directly being hurt by them, it just means you care about others, and aren’t a trashy pile of shit.
Those coming at me for being a teacher- yeah, I didn’t sell out to corporate America like you and Arto did. Yeah, I committed my life to serving others. I lose out on certain material benefits, but have the right to call anybody I fucking want who is willing to harm others to get rich a sell out piece of shit. Deal with it. If it makes you uncomfortable fix your own fucking life. Don’t be mad at me because you can’t live an honest life.

Arto, enjoy the 40 pieces of silver for your legacy, you fucking exploitative shitbag
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

headtowall

• Rep: -14
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this is a bit misleading because there are different amex cards these days. its not like it was back in the day when there was only one version.
That is true, i should have specified

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2018, 10:55:26 AM »
Agree with Gipper on this. Bad look for Arto. Even if only from the standpoint of what is good for Arto. This is a bad financial decision. Arto's greatest asset on this planet is that skateboarders love him. This makes skateboarders not love him.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2018, 11:02:17 AM »

Exactly. If you can be responsible and pay your bill off in full every month or the entirety before any interest is accrued, using a cc is a no brainer. Make your money work for you. I get more cash back from my cc than any sort of interest my normal savings account gets. I'm not wealthy by any means but I have an 800+ credit rating by carrying a minute amount of cc debt and paying on time. It pays to play the game just don't get lost in the sauce.

Here Come The Lame Jets

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2018, 11:04:37 AM »
I feel like Gip is trying to be a Gentler Jones.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2018, 11:20:25 AM »
I don’t know where the idea that I have all this credit card debt is coming from. I don’t have any at all. Caring about larger social issues doesn’t automatically mean you are directly being hurt by them, it just means you care about others, and aren’t a trashy pile of shit.
Those coming at me for being a teacher- yeah, I didn’t sell out to corporate America like you and Arto did. Yeah, I committed my life to serving others. I lose out on certain material benefits, but have the right to call anybody I fucking want who is willing to harm others to get rich a sell out piece of shit. Deal with it. If it makes you uncomfortable fix your own fucking life. Don’t be mad at me because you can’t live an honest life.

Arto, enjoy the 40 pieces of silver for your legacy, you fucking exploitative shitbag

Jesus Christ I would hate for you to be my kids teacher.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2018, 11:25:13 AM »
People can have morals and a good credit score. The point being made is not how many people can use credit to their benefit but who many can't. The world is run on debt and debt is slavery. You want to advertise slavery?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2018, 11:31:55 AM »
Amex is actually the best card to have, so many benefits...

Back to the article I posted on the last page:

Speaking of AmEx, anyone catch the Supreme Court case they just won?

www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/us/politics/supreme-court-american-express-fees.amp.html

I haven't read this particular article (so I am not sure if this point is covered), but because of this supreme court case, it could be argued that everyone is now subsidizing the higher fees AmEx charges merchants for all the benefits you receive. Since merchants can't suggest you use a certain card at the point of sale, they need to factor AmEx charges into the price of all of their products.

midevilco

« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
Agree with Gipper on this. Bad look for Arto. Even if only from the standpoint of what is good for Arto. This is a bad financial decision. Arto's greatest asset on this planet is that skateboarders love him. This makes skateboarders not love him.

"Skateboarders loving you" pays like shit, though.

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"Skateboarders loving you" pays like shit, though.

Totally. That's why he had a house in the Hollywood hills with a pool, and that's why is now suffering owning a house on the North Shore. Clearly it pays like shit and has not helped him in any way.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

shark tits

« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »
reagan might be stupid for eschewing higher paying jobs to serve poor people but like, at least he's not bitter about it.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -362
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
is this the first time that gip has offered up sympathy for idiots? the idiots being the people who rack up ridiculous credit card debt because a pro skateboarder from Finland told them to.

drunkenshredder

• Rep: -135
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
...glad that some skateboarders are sick of barely scraping by. I wish more would pay attention on how to further their lives instead of sitting back talking shit.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly. If you can be responsible and pay your bill off in full every month or the entirety before any interest is accrued, using a cc is a no brainer. Make your money work for you. I get more cash back from my cc than any sort of interest my normal savings account gets. I'm not wealthy by any means but I have an 800+ credit rating by carrying a minute amount of cc debt and paying on time. It pays to play the game just don't get lost in the sauce.

The point is getting a skateboarder in ads is not attempting to advertise to people who are fiscally responsible. Amex makes money off of people taking out too much debt and owing far more due to interest, and many skateboarders aren't educated in matters such as this to avoid such scenarios.

Mongoloid

« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Jesus Christ I would hate for you to be my kids teacher.

You mean you wouldn’t want him calling your kids nazis?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Amex is actually the best card to have, so many benefits...
[close]

Back to the article I posted on the last page:

Expand Quote
Speaking of AmEx, anyone catch the Supreme Court case they just won?

www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/us/politics/supreme-court-american-express-fees.amp.html
[close]

I haven't read this particular article (so I am not sure if this point is covered), but because of this supreme court case, it could be argued that everyone is now subsidizing the higher fees AmEx charges merchants for all the benefits you receive. Since merchants can't suggest you use a certain card at the point of sale, they need to factor AmEx charges into the price of all of their products.

I read this last night and it was pretty interesting. Usually I fall one side or the other on issues pretty cleanly but this kind of thing has me split and I can see why it made it all the way to SCOTUS. Ultimately, I suppose the market will determine how necessary accepting AmEx is. You won't ever see places like Nordstrom refuse a black card, but I could definitely see it with mom and pop shops, even higher end ones, and of course all of the shitty big boxes -- though I think some of those don't accept AmEx already.

Get the strap

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2018, 01:15:12 PM »
As much as how sick it is for Hawaii to have Arto Saari part of their tiny skate scene (pretty sure he lives there now), Hawaiian Arto is very cringy at times...So I think this Amex card promotion makes sense from his current cringyness and the backlash of the skate community is warranted and justified.