Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118184 times)

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« on: July 24, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »

shark tits

Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
i'm agnostic but asides kids, every movie w/ skating in it has flat out sucked from paranoid park to grind to gleaming the cube to thrashin'.
jonah should've made the little kid of him fat at least.
is that homage to kids when they 360 flip onto the white dude's big toe?
watch where i'm skatin mon.

micky682

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »
Movies doesn’t look bad at all, but Jonah Hill isn’t a skateboarder.

Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:28:10 AM »

By who's standard?
For Your Health

mick1shrdn

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:31:13 AM »
This a prequel to Street Dreams?

jpmulls

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:37:38 AM »
Stevie's older brother is played by Lucas Hedges who somehow gets in well respected films like manchester by the sea, ladybird, three billboards, moonrise kingdom, and grand budapest hotel. I'll probably see this no matter what but that kid's agent knows a good script when he/she sees one which makes me more excited this.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:40:47 AM »
lolz at the Strobeck pan at the end.

jawano

• Rep: -16
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
This looks like it may actually be well-made, well-acted, cool and non-corny.

I'm reserving judgment and my hopes aren't high because of all the other "skate" movies that suck dick, but hey who knows?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
hope its as well done as the person who made the trailer thinks it is.  Ill go see it for sure. that said if they don't release a "collectors version" on a dyed (yellow, red, or blue) VHS cassette they are fucking blowing it.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 10:15:21 AM »
lol

shit_for_brains

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »
Whether or not he's a skateboarder aside, Jonah Hill is definitely a try-hard kook.

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
Between this and that skate kitchen movie we are in for a considerable amount of cringe.

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
I've seen that little kook at stoner. Yo, fuck this shit movie.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »
Trailer was whatever. The title is wack. Tearz is my shit though.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

By who's standard?
His own- he admits he doesn’t skate. He also seems to be making up or at least exaggerating his skating experience. I swear before this movie came out nobody ever mentioned Jonah Hill, now all these West LA pros keep claiming he used to be at the courthouse and hotrod and all that shit. Its weird to me though that nobody EVER mentioned he skated when movies like Superbad came out, nobody ever listed him as a movie star who skated in any of those “celebrities who skate/skated” threads despite him supposedly being such a regular at such famous spots.
He might have skated, but he did a FANTASTIC job of hiding that fact until it came time to profit from it- and that doesn’t feel right to me AT ALL. At minimum the dude is a culture vulture, and potentially he could be making it all up and using his hollywood clout to get fame-hungry LA pro skaters to go along with it, either way his love of skate culture is highly suspect.

Oh, and the only joke is about a black security guard getting mad about a biracial kid calling him The n-word...written and directed by dude who definitely shouldn’t be making jokes centered around calling black people that word....but its cool, because soon he’ll just claim he used to be black in the 90’s, right Jonah?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »
Hot Rod Skateshop
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »
He should make a movie about desperately wanting to be a part of something that's more his area of expertise

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »
Semantics. I never went there, just remember their 411 industry section, and heard Alex Olson talk about getting fired from there after one day. Anyway, since you know it so well, do you remember seeing Jonah there? Can anybody on this board claim to have seen him there, or at the courthouse, or any other famous spot he loves to claim? Please, set me straight. Tell me about the rad sessions and how good of a kickflip Jonah had and how he definitely actually definitely really skated.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 11:24:17 AM »
this doesn't look bad at all, considering Hollywood's history with skate movies.  Say what you want about Jonah Hill, but this is obviously his passion project and he was definitely skating in LA during that time, so I don't know why we feel the need to judge him so harshly for his interest in the subject matter.

between this and that new Skate Kitchen movie, this summer is going pretty hard on the "Kids" worship though.  (Skate Kitchen = Kids with girls; Mid 90's = Kids on the West Coast).  I guess it seems about that time with the 20 year nostalgia cycle though
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

badfomyhealth

• Rep: 7
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 11:25:46 AM »

Badformyhealth is a severe alcoholic, confirmed.

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
Semantics. I never went there, just remember their 411 industry section, and heard Alex Olson talk about getting fired from there after one day. Anyway, since you know it so well, do you remember seeing Jonah there? Can anybody on this board claim to have seen him there, or at the courthouse, or any other famous spot he loves to claim? Please, set me straight. Tell me about the rad sessions and how good of a kickflip Jonah had and how he definitely actually definitely really skated.

He was there. There were a group of kids that hung out there and watched videos and he was one of them. If memory serves he appeared on a Hot Rod shop board graphic along with a bunch of the other infamous loiterers.

i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
Good luck topping this masterpiece Jonah
https://youtu.be/P4PD0sYD9Jo

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
This is how I imagine Gip's classes in February:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gIBgRiGl04

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Aside from the 4:3 aspect ratio, I think this looks really good, i definitely don't think it's some culture vulture shit either. To the requests for clips of Hill skating back in the day...How many clips of yourself can you dig up from 97 or 98? I know I couldn't dig up a single one if I had to. While camcorders weren't exactly rare, the means to archive that shit properly totally was. Anyways, I think it looks pretty damn good and will totally be more true to skating and less of cash grab compared to Tony Hawk's old timers battle young punks over the skate park flick that is on its way

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
Why they have Nak in this? Acting? Based off of this trailer, I think it was a mistake to cast him.

In fact, all the Illegal Civ dudes...I know this is Mikey's movie as well, but you can't have homies as the main cast when they have 0 acting experience. Who knows, maybe they're pretty decent.

Nak better be wearing some old ass Adidas since this is a "90's" film.

she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

MOUNTAIN

• Rep: 211
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
Go make your own movie. And make it exactly like you want it, and let nothing go wrong, and it'll be perfect and you'll be so happy, and you'll get to watch it all you want, and listen to the songs that you chose and think about how perfect a job you did. Everyone else has failed, but you're going to nail it. Everyone will love you for it. You did a perfect job. Congrats
We used to skate on a sculpture by Henry Moore. Good times.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
i hate jonah hill and i hate this movie. i will still watch it at least when it makes it to cable.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
this jonah skated for sure.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
Go make your own movie. And make it exactly like you want it, and let nothing go wrong, and it'll be perfect and you'll be so happy, and you'll get to watch it all you want, and listen to the songs that you chose and think about how perfect a job you did. Everyone else has failed, but you're going to nail it. Everyone will love you for it. You did a perfect job. Congrats
If this isn’t Jonah Hill, I have no idea why you are so offended that skateboarders are skeptical of another skate movie. Also, I assume this isn’t Jonah Hill...
This is how I imagine Gip's classes in February:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gIBgRiGl04
This is how I imagine you: [this space intentionally left blank because who the fuck cares who you are? Nobody]

Expand Quote
[close]

He was there. There were a group of kids that hung out there and watched videos and he was one of them. If memory serves he appeared on a Hot Rod shop board graphic along with a bunch of the other infamous loiterers.

This response is intriguing (as opposed to the know-nothing kooks who got flustered and jumped to crying about me). Is that board graphic available to check out somewhere? I’m genuinely curious about thay for multiple reasons. Still don’t think skate movies really work, and don’t respect a person who quits h greatest thing ever making it, but I’ll pull back on the conspiracy if that board is found