Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118179 times)

Knox Harrington

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »
Semantics. I never went there, just remember their 411 industry section, and heard Alex Olson talk about getting fired from there after one day. Anyway, since you know it so well, do you remember seeing Jonah there? Can anybody on this board claim to have seen him there, or at the courthouse, or any other famous spot he loves to claim? Please, set me straight. Tell me about the rad sessions and how good of a kickflip Jonah had and how he definitely actually definitely really skated.
1. I saw him at The Courthouse a lot in the summer and fall of 97. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about him outside of that period.
2. He was too fat to skate well. He could probably ollie, but not well enough to do it off the stairs or up the ledges. I doubt he could kickflip. I do remember him attempting a perversion of what he called a "frontside crooked grind" that involved him bailing while sort of flicking the board up on the ledge into the position of a reversed smith grind, if that makes sense.

I didn't add up that this person was Jonah Hill until a couple years ago. I want to say that mentally he's a skater even if his body barely allowed it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:50:24 PM by Knox Harrington »

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2018, 05:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Semantics. I never went there, just remember their 411 industry section, and heard Alex Olson talk about getting fired from there after one day. Anyway, since you know it so well, do you remember seeing Jonah there? Can anybody on this board claim to have seen him there, or at the courthouse, or any other famous spot he loves to claim? Please, set me straight. Tell me about the rad sessions and how good of a kickflip Jonah had and how he definitely actually definitely really skated.
[close]
1. I saw him at The Courthouse a lot in the summer and fall of 97. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing about him outside of that period.
2. He was too fat to skate well. He could probably ollie, but not well enough to do it off the stairs or up the ledges. I doubt he could kickflip. I do remember him attempting a perversion of what he called a "frontside crooked grind" that involved him bailing while sort of flicking the board up on the ledge into the position of a reversed smith grind, if that makes sense.

I didn't add up that this person was Jonah Hill until a couple years ago. I want to say that mentally he's a skater even if his body barely allowed it.

Mentally I am in a very physically intimate relationship with Syd from Legion, even though my body, distance, and a probable restraining order do not allow it.

Knox Harrington

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2018, 05:56:08 PM »

Mentally I am in a very physically intimate relationship with Syd from Legion, even though my body, distance, and a probable restraining order do not allow it.
Jonah could outskate Larry Clark though.

weregoingunion

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2018, 06:28:25 PM »
That being said i feel pretty neutral about the whole thing, im sure it will be a Kids 2 and thats ok.

wasn’t wassup rockers supposed to be a kids 2?
i thought having a character named “spermball” was pretty funny.

r.i.p. bubblegum tate
LOAF FOREVER <3

shark tits

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2018, 06:40:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Jonah could outskate Larry Clark though.
you're thinking of vinny raffa.
larry clark could kickflip. he might've gone over the banks wall one time as well.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2018, 06:44:24 PM »
Unless the kid becomes the filmer and quits skating by 10th grade I am calling cultural appropriation

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2018, 07:23:39 PM »
This movie looks like its way more about skating than Kids was. In Kids they just happened to skate. If this sucks it'll probably be because it focused too much on skating.
Seemingly true,plus I don't think any of these kids will be getting laid or devirginizing girls like Telly

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

uh-huh

• Rep: -6
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2018, 08:42:14 PM »
Expand Quote
This movie looks like its way more about skating than Kids was. In Kids they just happened to skate. If this sucks it'll probably be because it focused too much on skating.
[close]
Seemingly true,plus I don't think any of these kids will be getting laid or devirginizing girls like Telly

"mmmmm...buddascotch"

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2018, 08:58:57 PM »
Wait, Jonah Hill isn't the dude with glasses on WKND? Fuck.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »
Bottom right: Jonah the Jew

Alright, that’s legitimate. I’ll pull back on the conspiracy.

And to whoever asked about macho taildrop...that one was a doozy. I just remember it being really weird, but with little redemption aside from McCrank’s shit.

Honestly my favorite skate movie of all time is still Thrashin’. It was corny as hell but its got that campy appeal and so many memorable stupid quotes....No YOU BE THERE!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

thot juice

• Rep: -54
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2018, 10:09:29 PM »

Kids was also about actual teenagers in newyork in the 90s if this sucks it’ll prolly be cus it’s bout a 9 yr old in hollywood

booty

• Rep: 21
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
That older brothers room was my ~dream~ room in the mid 90s but alas I was poor white trash from the South idolizing East Coast skateboarding. His CDs were organized alphabetically even.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
The little kid playing the lead fucking rips https://www.instagram.com/p/BlUBRrTn8tb/?hl=en&taken-by=sunnysuljic

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »
I thought jonah hill was garret hill's brother...fuuuuck

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

And to whoever asked about macho taildrop...that one was a doozy. I just remember it being really weird, but with little redemption aside from McCrank’s shit.

Honestly my favorite skate movie of all time is still Thrashin’. It was corny as hell but its got that campy appeal and so many memorable stupid quotes....No YOU BE THERE!

For what it's worth, the former employees at Hot Rod also reminded me that Jonah had actually spent the very first dollar at Hot Rod when it opened. He had signed his dollar bill 'Jonah the Jew' and it hung in the bathroom for years...
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

Tyson

• Rep: 1
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
Jonah Hill and Illegal Civ name a worse duo

shit_for_brains

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
Yeah well Greg Lutzka rode for Krooked and he's still a fuckin dork

bawtawd5

• Rep: 134
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2018, 12:43:47 PM »
Fuck that fedoras and 270s for life

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
ableSkateMag.com

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2018, 01:11:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For what it's worth, the former employees at Hot Rod also reminded me that Jonah had actually spent the very first dollar at Hot Rod when it opened. He had signed his dollar bill 'Jonah the Jew' and it hung in the bathroom for years...

I don't remember any of those people and I skated all those spots. I doubt anyone would remember me either. I lived near Hot Rod and didn't realize it was a skate shop for a while (most people back then bought their stuff from Daniel Castillo anyway).

Is this movie about modern kids obsessed with the mid-90s or is this supposed to be the actual mid-90s? I do not recall WLA Courthouse being so trashy (then again anything westside seemed clean to me). By the way they're dressed, maybe it should be re-named "Mid to late-90s".

Get the strap

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »
Are all the people hyped on this anticipating to be taken back in time like Stranger Things? Is this coming out in the theaters or online? It looks terrible.

shark tits

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
t-eddies 2018
getz him to the greek- johan the jew

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2018, 02:15:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have a feeling that board isn't as old as you all think. Thats what he looked like in 07 or whenever he started acting. Money makes people talk. Fuck Jonah and that movie looks fucking terrible. No kid in the mid-90s would look like that ic kid, and agree with whoever blasted Jonah for writing that joke

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
I am sure Ill see it sometime and with xtra butter no doubt

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2018, 02:29:53 PM »
i always hate every movie i see. i still like to watch them tho. this movie will be no exception.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
i always hate every movie i see. i still like to watch them tho. this movie will be no exception.

whenever i watch crazy blockbuster action movies I always lose interest right in the middle of the over the top, drawn out, explosion filled climax.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
As a kid I loved Gleaming The Cube and like Stevie Williams I thought you could jumpstart cars with a skate key. The Jonah Hill movie could be good. Awful idea: Labor could make a tee shirt of Jonah Hill wearing a Labor tee shirt in front of Labor.

kid casserole

• Rep: 6
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »
A movie about kids in LA who watched Kids religiously for a week and assumed these roles which did or didn't really exist depending on who you talked to from where.  We did it as high schoolers in Santa Barbara to a certain extent  for almost the whole summer after it came out.  How embarrassing...so glad I didn't have a platform like Youtube to immortalize some stuff i thought was cool.

cloudy

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
i wasn't even aware of the slap messageboards' existence at the time, but reading through this old superbad thread (http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=15562.0) is pretty interesting. was slap a more positive place back then, or were you all just really juiced on superbad? even jamie thomas was feeling it.

Expand Quote
im gonna wait till this comes out for on demand
[close]

stoops, best movie in ages.

Knox Harrington

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a feeling that board isn't as old as you all think. Thats what he looked like in 07 or whenever he started acting. Money makes people talk. Fuck Jonah and that movie looks fucking terrible. No kid in the mid-90s would look like that ic kid, and agree with whoever blasted Jonah for writing that joke
The center photo of that board is Cameron, who became owner of Hot Rod in the early to mid 2000s, so you probably have a point.