Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118169 times)

Rockin Robbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
Maybe next time Johan. This looks so bad. What a waste of money. I could make a better movie and im half regular

Well you're right about one thing.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2018, 06:58:46 PM »
All you idiots on the first page claiming Jonah wasn't a skater...come on dude had that mini top 5 I remember seeing when it came out, you don't pick those parts if you don't skate. The movie looks ok, but props to him for dropping and probably losing a bunch of money to make something about his childhood past time. I was a fat kid growing up in the mid 90s and I didn't really fit in. I thought skateboarding was cool seeing it Back to the Future and when I finally got a real board in 1994 and started skating it changed my life, it took me 2 years to learn how to kickflip. Now almost 25 years later I can't imagine my life without it. If I had a profession that allowed me to express how much skateboarding meant to me to people inside and outside skateboarding it would really be hard to do, and I don't know if I would do it but I think its rad that he Jonah Hill is. All you dudes talking shit are just jaded haters that reek of jealously and envy of someone who's had success.

Also Gipper you still love to assume shit and virtue signal every chance you get. Let me ask you a question. You ever heard of improv? How do you know the Jonah Hill wrote that line and that the actor didn't add that word in himself, which is very likely. Or how do you know he wasn't quoting from a personal experience with a security guard from his youth? Is he supposed to change alter the quote? You've already been proven wrong once in this post so maybe its time you realize that just because you went to college and are now a school teacher that you know it all.

P.S. Slap wouldn't be the same without you Gip...but I have to give you shit for old times sake ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:01:54 PM by TMKF »

Seduction

• Rep: 5
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »
Exactly, A24 have put some of my favorite films in recent years. The VVitch, Killing of a Sacred Dear, It Comes at night, Green room.

Obviously the choice to film in 4:3 was inspired by 90’s skate videos

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
looks interesting

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2018, 10:42:30 PM »
Exactly, A24 have put some of my favorite films in recent years. The VVitch, Killing of a Sacred Dear, It Comes at night, Green room.

Obviously the choice to film in 4:3 was inspired by 90’s skate videos

Moonlight and Three Billboards are masterpieces. I trust A24 100%.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2018, 06:02:46 AM »
Expand Quote
All you idiots on the first page claiming Jonah wasn't a skater...come on dude had that mini top 5 I remember seeing when it came out, you don't pick those parts if you don't skate.
[close]

Exactly. Critical thinking y'all, it's not that difficult.

Also, I'm assuming most people talking about how the movie looks like it's going to be shit are casual movie goers who stick to superhero movies, star wars, etc., because if you know anything about A24, the company putting this out, you'd know 90% of their releases are incredible films. Easily the best American production/distro company in film right now.

lol. Jonah's top five are everybody's go-to five. He probably Googled "Best skate videos" for his answer. Not buying this shit get off the kids dick. Or don't, Fred Durst is realer than this kook and thats damn near impossible

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2018, 06:39:10 AM »
lol some of you guys seems to have a lot of rules in life.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2018, 07:02:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All you idiots on the first page claiming Jonah wasn't a skater...come on dude had that mini top 5 I remember seeing when it came out, you don't pick those parts if you don't skate.
[close]

Exactly. Critical thinking y'all, it's not that difficult.

Also, I'm assuming most people talking about how the movie looks like it's going to be shit are casual movie goers who stick to superhero movies, star wars, etc., because if you know anything about A24, the company putting this out, you'd know 90% of their releases are incredible films. Easily the best American production/distro company in film right now.
[close]

lol. Jonah's top five are everybody's go-to five. He probably Googled "Best skate videos" for his answer. Not buying this shit get off the kids dick. Or don't, Fred Durst is realer than this kook and thats damn near impossible

hahahahaha yeah you can tell by his answer that it clearly came from a google search. Also its on record he was a lurker at hot rod who watched skate videos and loitered there as well as the courthouse...that sounds like someone who would need to research his answer. Its insane to me that those who are clearly proven wrong continue spew the same bullshit.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
Take it easy on the psychotic hahahahaing do you think those are free?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
some of you guys are so passionate about Jonah Hill. ease up-- he's just bobby hill's cultured cousin. there is not much else too it.  At worst hes an enthusiastic poser with fluctuating weight-- who cares? who isn't?  also jonah if you
 want cred do a slap pals questions as promo for the movie.  ill host that shit in a heartbeat.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2018, 09:15:50 AM »
It’s funny cuz he’s fat

Get the strap

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »
What planet are all the OG's on, that mid-90s skaters would consider a fat kid who can't skate, who shows up a few times one summer a skater and not a poser? This is the mid-90's were talking about right? Not 2018? How is he a "skater from the 90's" and not a poser???

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
  Its not that he did or didn't skate its that he dosent skate.  It seems hes just settling his arse into skate culture and having a seat.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
All you idiots on the first page claiming Jonah wasn't a skater...come on dude had that mini top 5 I remember seeing when it came out, you don't pick those parts if you don't skate. The movie looks ok, but props to him for dropping and probably losing a bunch of money to make something about his childhood past time. I was a fat kid growing up in the mid 90s and I didn't really fit in. I thought skateboarding was cool seeing it Back to the Future and when I finally got a real board in 1994 and started skating it changed my life, it took me 2 years to learn how to kickflip. Now almost 25 years later I can't imagine my life without it. If I had a profession that allowed me to express how much skateboarding meant to me to people inside and outside skateboarding it would really be hard to do, and I don't know if I would do it but I think its rad that he Jonah Hill is. All you dudes talking shit are just jaded haters that reek of jealously and envy of someone who's had success.

Also Gipper you still love to assume shit and virtue signal every chance you get. Let me ask you a question. You ever heard of improv? How do you know the Jonah Hill wrote that line and that the actor didn't add that word in himself, which is very likely. Or how do you know he wasn't quoting from a personal experience with a security guard from his youth? Is he supposed to change alter the quote? You've already been proven wrong once in this post so maybe its time you realize that just because you went to college and are now a school teacher that you know it all.

P.S. Slap wouldn't be the same without you Gip...but I have to give you shit for old times sake ;)
A dude from the south used the Milo playbook and claims others are “virtue signalling” for not going along with lame racist bullshit...who would’ve thunk it? “How dare you say racism is bullshit?” And if I work in education to help reverse the effects of racism as a career, its not really signalling, its just me being morally consistent. I went out to fight nazis this past week, even with a broken hand. Dear, I don’t just say anti-racist things to look good, I live those values. Not all of us were raised with confederate values like “insult a person who calls out racism.” That is southern virtue signaling, it often goes by the term “dog whistle.”
And the crail couch shit was AFTER he started making his movie. Even if the guy did “skate,” (according to others on this thread what he did barely counts) the dude never gave a nod to skating or seemed to care about it until he figured out he could make a movie about it. Then suddenly its always been oh-so-important.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2018, 11:16:16 AM »
  Its not that he did or didn't skate its that he dosent skate.  It seems hes just settling his arse into skate culture and having a seat.
I follow you, but did he skate ?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
A dude from the south used the Milo playbook and claims others are “virtue signalling” for not going along with lame racist bullshit...who would’ve thunk it? “How dare you say racism is bullshit?” And if I work in education to help reverse the effects of racism as a career, its not really signalling, its just me being morally consistent. I went out to fight nazis this past week, even with a broken hand. Dear, I don’t just say anti-racist things to look good, I live those values. Not all of us were raised with confederate values like “insult a person who calls out racism.” That is southern virtue signaling, it often goes by the term “dog whistle.”
And the crail couch shit was AFTER he started making his movie. Even if the guy did “skate,” (according to others on this thread what he did barely counts) the dude never gave a nod to skating or seemed to care about it until he figured out he could make a movie about it. Then suddenly its always been oh-so-important.

Yeah but Gip you are also pretending that it's impossible that those "racist bullshit" jokes could be Jarrod Carmichael's.

If I made a skate vid with skits about Hollywood tryhards and Jonah Hill was riffing some good jokes about being a fat jew you're damn right they're making the cut. Would that make me a racist black dude?

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »
he's was a rich fat kid that hung out at the skate shop/spot...I'm sure he bought tons of gear/vids and bought snacks for the skaters. spike threw him a bone with the crail couch and labor got some pub with non-skaters($$).

shark tits

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
i can remember a few poseur hanger ons in the late 90s/early 00s. one kid at the shop got dropped on his collarbone and it broke, horseplaying w/ the clerk. that kid has a tiny brand that's prolly 20 yrs old and he hangs out w/ smolik and skates pools.
there was another kid, a suburban wigger rich kid who hung out at the indoor park. he paid which financed other older guys not paying so thank you for that. he told tall tales then and apparently he's still a liar.
so i guess those kids can go either way but if you are rougher on them it's for their own good.

Scott C

• Rep: -2
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »
Jonah killed it in Super Bad and lots of other movies, I'm excited to see this when it comes out.

I feel like Nak's going to blow the fuck up in mainstream culture once this drops. There's something special about that guy.

midevilco

« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good to see you are spending your summer break LARPING.

Dermbot

« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »
Jonah Hill was a shop grom and employee at Labor skate shop in NY before he became an actor. Hes a suuuuper gnarly skate nerd and is part of why supreme has such a huge demographic by using his platform and connections to get it blown up. He can tell you everything that happened in every video or mag from video days to pretty sweet. SUPER GNARLY skate nerd. 

UserFame

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -159
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2018, 04:11:13 PM »
This looks really COOL!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
the biggest surprise to me so far is what a ripper the main little kid is. he did a good job acting like he couldn't skate in the trailer but I searched some clips and he's sick. he's also got a legit acting career going so that was a really fortuitous casting move.

also congrats on ronron for going out to "fight nazis with a broken hand". +1 resistance dude.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »
the trailer makes it seem like it hits all the coming-of-age movie cliches

stranded

« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
I feel like Nak's going to blow the fuck up in mainstream culture once this drops. There's something special about that guy.
No, and his rap sucks.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
He should make a movie about desperately wanting to be a part of something that's more his area of expertise

Being a dude who thinks he's gonna be good at banging chicks = "Superbad"

Being a dude who wants to party like a rock star = "Get Him to the Greek"

Being a dude who wants to make Mr. Skin and smoke weed = "Knocked Up"

Being a dude who is a nerd = "Accepted"

Being not as cool as Brad Pitt = "Moneyball"

Being not as cool as Leo and probably as cool as he is in real life = "Wolf of Wall Street"

shark tits

« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2018, 06:43:26 PM »
Expand Quote
He should make a movie about desperately wanting to be a part of something that's more his area of expertise
[close]

Being a dude who thinks he's gonna be good at banging chicks = "Superbad"

Being a dude who wants to party like a rock star = "Get Him to the Greek"

Being a dude who wants to make Mr. Skin and smoke weed = "Knocked Up"

Being a dude who is a nerd = "Accepted"

Being not as cool as Brad Pitt = "Moneyball"

Being not as cool as Leo and probably as cool as he is in real life = "Wolf of Wall Street"
man, that's his go to, huh?
how would you describe his role in 'forgetting sarah marshall'?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2018, 07:25:54 PM »
https://youtu.be/1EwALOOFucA
he likes Steve Olson in Rolling Thunder, dude gets a pass from me

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

shark tits

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2018, 07:42:57 PM »
Expand Quote
he likes Steve Olson in Rolling Thunder, dude gets a pass from me
it's funny because that was one of my favorite parts too but i'm 41 and he's 34. what is his timeline for watching that on cassette? i'm not calling him a liar but i wonder if some of his favorite parts aren't revisited on youtube? i did get into skating late and skate videos even later.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2018, 08:37:10 PM »
I wonder how much Adidas paid him to say “you got this” in Away Days.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:15:48 PM by Mr. Fink »