Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118121 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1269
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2018, 10:32:13 PM »
"Being a dude who" is pretty much what an actor does no?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

stranded

« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2018, 03:57:11 AM »
Being not as cool as Leo and probably as cool as he is in real life = "Wolf of Wall Street"
Him smoking crack at the bus stop was the best thing he ever did.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
he likes Steve Olson in Rolling Thunder, dude gets a pass from me
[close]
it's funny because that was one of my favorite parts too but i'm 41 and he's 34. what is his timeline for watching that on cassette? i'm not calling him a liar but i wonder if some of his favorite parts aren't revisited on youtube? i did get into skating late and skate videos even later.

I'm 35 and I remember watching that video on repeat non-stop.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
I feel like Nak's going to blow the fuck up in mainstream culture once this drops. There's something special about that guy.
[close]
No, and his rap sucks.
AO skated to his track in the 917 vid...for whatever thats worth. but if i remember right, it was pretty bad.

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 11
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »
Olan Prenatt (blond locks) is really good at skating too.

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2018, 02:09:34 PM »
Jonah killed it in Super Bad and lots of other movies, I'm excited to see this when it comes out.

I feel like Nak's going to blow the fuck up in mainstream culture once this drops. There's something special about that guy.

Nak has the "IT" factor.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He should make a movie about desperately wanting to be a part of something that's more his area of expertise
[close]

Being a dude who thinks he's gonna be good at banging chicks = "Superbad"

Being a dude who wants to party like a rock star = "Get Him to the Greek"

Being a dude who wants to make Mr. Skin and smoke weed = "Knocked Up"

Being a dude who is a nerd = "Accepted"

Being not as cool as Brad Pitt = "Moneyball"

Being not as cool as Leo and probably as cool as he is in real life = "Wolf of Wall Street"
[close]
man, that's his go to, huh?
how would you describe his role in 'forgetting sarah marshall'?

Being a dude who thinks he can do an English accent to an English person's face.

(For the record, I really do enjoy his work. He's just an easy mark.)

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »
Expand Quote
All you idiots on the first page claiming Jonah wasn't a skater...come on dude had that mini top 5 I remember seeing when it came out, you don't pick those parts if you don't skate. The movie looks ok, but props to him for dropping and probably losing a bunch of money to make something about his childhood past time. I was a fat kid growing up in the mid 90s and I didn't really fit in. I thought skateboarding was cool seeing it Back to the Future and when I finally got a real board in 1994 and started skating it changed my life, it took me 2 years to learn how to kickflip. Now almost 25 years later I can't imagine my life without it. If I had a profession that allowed me to express how much skateboarding meant to me to people inside and outside skateboarding it would really be hard to do, and I don't know if I would do it but I think its rad that he Jonah Hill is. All you dudes talking shit are just jaded haters that reek of jealously and envy of someone who's had success.

Also Gipper you still love to assume shit and virtue signal every chance you get. Let me ask you a question. You ever heard of improv? How do you know the Jonah Hill wrote that line and that the actor didn't add that word in himself, which is very likely. Or how do you know he wasn't quoting from a personal experience with a security guard from his youth? Is he supposed to change alter the quote? You've already been proven wrong once in this post so maybe its time you realize that just because you went to college and are now a school teacher that you know it all.

P.S. Slap wouldn't be the same without you Gip...but I have to give you shit for old times sake ;)
[close]
A dude from the south used the Milo playbook and claims others are “virtue signalling” for not going along with lame racist bullshit...who would’ve thunk it? “How dare you say racism is bullshit?” And if I work in education to help reverse the effects of racism as a career, its not really signalling, its just me being morally consistent. I went out to fight nazis this past week, even with a broken hand. Dear, I don’t just say anti-racist things to look good, I live those values. Not all of us were raised with confederate values like “insult a person who calls out racism.” That is southern virtue signaling, it often goes by the term “dog whistle.”
And the crail couch shit was AFTER he started making his movie. Even if the guy did “skate,” (according to others on this thread what he did barely counts) the dude never gave a nod to skating or seemed to care about it until he figured out he could make a movie about it. Then suddenly its always been oh-so-important.

I'm disappointed in myself for even responding to this mindlessness. You've actually gotten dumber over the past couple years which I suppose is par for the course of the entire leftist movement. It sickens me that you actually teach children anything considering you're such an ideologue who  strays away from any objective thinking and labels anyone who disagrees with you a racist and a nazi. Those are serious charges and you're contributing to the watering down of those terms and in a way even legitimizing the actual tiny percentage of them that do exist.

Secondarily are you claiming that I was raised with confederate values? Dude I grew up just outside of Washington DC in northern Virginia. The neighborhood I grew up in was and still is predominantly black and hispanic. My father grew up even closer to Washington DC and my mom is from the Jersey shore. Hardly confederate values, but again your false assumptions are spouted while attempting to discredit me. I was raised to respect everyone, and the golden rule, and to work toward my desires. Truth be told I was and still am a person of liberal values but when I was growing up even more so into he leftist ideology. I was a full on democrat, I mean who wouldn't be growing up in the Bush era. It wasn't until I was in my mid 20's when I started to actually challenge my views when some of them changed and where I started to lean toward libertarianism, or classical liberalism. I just can't sign onto this hysteria as I don't see a world of nazi's and racists on every corner.

I'm still wondering what in this trailer was the "racist bullshit" you are not going along with. An African American security guard using a term that is widely used and accepted within that community and is not deemed racist whatsoever? Or the fact that a Jewish guy wrote the script you're assuming that he wrote that word into the script to somehow provoke racism and not that he was perhaps documenting a personal experience? Or as I pointed out simply improv by the actor and not written in the script at all? Is any of that possible in your eyes? Is everything and everyone racist? It's just ridiculous, those are serious charges as its a truly disgraceful act to be a real racist so you should really be sure about what you're saying before making those claims.

In my eyes you are being the bigot. Your ideology is completely intolerant of any diverse opinion or thought. Can't you see the hypocrisy you're engaged in? It would seem to me that your ideology is so weak and hollow that in order to make your arguments valid you have a discount the opposing view with a disgraceful term such as racist or nazi in an attempt to delegitimize them even if its unfounded and dishonest. It's kinda like one of your students getting a poor score on a test but saying that some of their classmates got even lower scores in an attempt to make themselves look and feel better. I'm not even sure they even score tests anymore though, it could be mean and hurtful to give someone a low score, oh unless they disagree with you of course.

Oh and you think this dude is trying to cash in on skateboarding? I bet he loses money making this film because it doesn't really look that good and its only going to be relatable to a small percentage of the population.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:46:16 AM by TMKF »

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2018, 03:19:43 PM »
I want a Hollywood movie about dudes in mesh hats forming bonds while pouring DIY 'crete

wheee!

shit_for_brains

« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »
I want one about spending the prime of your life behind a grocery store 30 miles from your house

super-basic

« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2018, 07:56:55 PM »
Hella milk crate ollies.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2018, 05:17:05 AM »
I want a Hollywood movie about dudes in mesh hats forming bonds while pouring DIY 'crete

Only if it were a romantic story about two people finding each others and themselves in the process of building the dream DIY of their dreams..

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2018, 05:17:15 AM »
brokeback concrete mountain
a homoerotic adventure of 7 dudes that want to build a vert wall

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 705
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2018, 05:38:34 AM »

hahahahaha
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 393
« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it's funny because that was one of my favorite parts too but i'm 41 and he's 34. what is his timeline for watching that on cassette? i'm not calling him a liar but i wonder if some of his favorite parts aren't revisited on youtube? i did get into skating late and skate videos even later.
[close]

Same,

His and Heath's, and I actually liked Berra back then.

There, I said it :(

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2018, 07:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Same,

Nothin' wrong with liking Berra back then, dude had good video parts, and no one knew what was to come later in life.

I also give him credit for the Steve Olson call out. I used to love his part in Tentacles of Destruction. I watched that video every single day for awhile.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
brokeback concrete mountain
a homoerotic adventure of 7 dudes that want to build a vert wall

You would have to pay Sean Gutierrez and Our Life for the rights to their story
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2018, 10:25:15 AM »
Jonah killed it in Super Bad and lots of other movies, I'm excited to see this when it comes out.

Kook

BullweyHuskey

« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2018, 05:20:13 AM »
slap forum aka old dudes that never made it in skateboarding but landed a hard trick ones so they hate on everything that isnt normal or comes from outside showing love to skateboarding because they are SKATEBOARDING. this forum has fallen off BIG time. this movie is going to be cool and fun to watch. i love jonah hill for doing this.

why doesnt skateboarding have a lot of cool movies about the culture when there are so many good movie makers in this forum that will make a movie that has a super fun story and no cringey parts?

Donald Rump

« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2018, 06:17:25 AM »
i'm agnostic but asides kids, every movie w/ skating in it has flat out sucked from paranoid park to grind to gleaming the cube to thrashin'.
jonah should've made the little kid of him fat at least.
is that homage to kids when they 360 flip onto the white dude's big toe?
watch where i'm skatin mon.

Had to remember my password to my shitbox account just to say nah man, Thrashin' is the shit

Best skate movie ever

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Same,

[close]

Nothin' wrong with liking Berra back then, dude had good video parts, and no one knew what was to come later in life.

I also give him credit for the Steve Olson call out. I used to love his part in Tentacles of Destruction. I watched that video every single day for awhile.
rollin thunder is a classic vid and honestly I don't think there's a bad part in there. Berra killed it in that vid as did Frankie Hill. Olson and Heath are the stars but Beagle's part is funky, Paul Sharpe will nollie anything in his path and even their am got the cover of transworld with that big arse 50-50

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2018, 06:20:54 PM »

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2018, 09:26:58 PM »

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2018, 04:09:14 AM »
trash. this looks awful. i hope jonah hill is raped the same way in one of his last films for such a sin.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »
I appreciate you bumping this thread from July with your articulate rebuke of this film
ableSkateMag.com

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1269
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
I appreciate you bumping this thread from July with your articulate rebuke of this film

that no one has seen yet
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2018, 01:06:07 PM »
cheers

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2018, 05:19:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All you idiots on the first page claiming Jonah wasn't a skater...come on dude had that mini top 5 I remember seeing when it came out, you don't pick those parts if you don't skate. The movie looks ok, but props to him for dropping and probably losing a bunch of money to make something about his childhood past time. I was a fat kid growing up in the mid 90s and I didn't really fit in. I thought skateboarding was cool seeing it Back to the Future and when I finally got a real board in 1994 and started skating it changed my life, it took me 2 years to learn how to kickflip. Now almost 25 years later I can't imagine my life without it. If I had a profession that allowed me to express how much skateboarding meant to me to people inside and outside skateboarding it would really be hard to do, and I don't know if I would do it but I think its rad that he Jonah Hill is. All you dudes talking shit are just jaded haters that reek of jealously and envy of someone who's had success.

Also Gipper you still love to assume shit and virtue signal every chance you get. Let me ask you a question. You ever heard of improv? How do you know the Jonah Hill wrote that line and that the actor didn't add that word in himself, which is very likely. Or how do you know he wasn't quoting from a personal experience with a security guard from his youth? Is he supposed to change alter the quote? You've already been proven wrong once in this post so maybe its time you realize that just because you went to college and are now a school teacher that you know it all.

P.S. Slap wouldn't be the same without you Gip...but I have to give you shit for old times sake ;)
[close]
A dude from the south used the Milo playbook and claims others are “virtue signalling” for not going along with lame racist bullshit...who would’ve thunk it? “How dare you say racism is bullshit?” And if I work in education to help reverse the effects of racism as a career, its not really signalling, its just me being morally consistent. I went out to fight nazis this past week, even with a broken hand. Dear, I don’t just say anti-racist things to look good, I live those values. Not all of us were raised with confederate values like “insult a person who calls out racism.” That is southern virtue signaling, it often goes by the term “dog whistle.”
And the crail couch shit was AFTER he started making his movie. Even if the guy did “skate,” (according to others on this thread what he did barely counts) the dude never gave a nod to skating or seemed to care about it until he figured out he could make a movie about it. Then suddenly its always been oh-so-important.
[close]

I'm disappointed in myself for even responding to this mindlessness. You've actually gotten dumber over the past couple years which I suppose is par for the course of the entire leftist movement. It sickens me that you actually teach children anything considering you're such an ideologue who  strays away from any objective thinking and labels anyone who disagrees with you a racist and a nazi. Those are serious charges and you're contributing to the watering down of those terms and in a way even legitimizing the actual tiny percentage of them that do exist.

Secondarily are you claiming that I was raised with confederate values? Dude I grew up just outside of Washington DC in northern Virginia. The neighborhood I grew up in was and still is predominantly black and hispanic. My father grew up even closer to Washington DC and my mom is from the Jersey shore. Hardly confederate values, but again your false assumptions are spouted while attempting to discredit me. I was raised to respect everyone, and the golden rule, and to work toward my desires. Truth be told I was and still am a person of liberal values but when I was growing up even more so into he leftist ideology. I was a full on democrat, I mean who wouldn't be growing up in the Bush era. It wasn't until I was in my mid 20's when I started to actually challenge my views when some of them changed and where I started to lean toward libertarianism, or classical liberalism. I just can't sign onto this hysteria as I don't see a world of nazi's and racists on every corner.

I'm still wondering what in this trailer was the "racist bullshit" you are not going along with. An African American security guard using a term that is widely used and accepted within that community and is not deemed racist whatsoever? Or the fact that a Jewish guy wrote the script you're assuming that he wrote that word into the script to somehow provoke racism and not that he was perhaps documenting a personal experience? Or as I pointed out simply improv by the actor and not written in the script at all? Is any of that possible in your eyes? Is everything and everyone racist? It's just ridiculous, those are serious charges as its a truly disgraceful act to be a real racist so you should really be sure about what you're saying before making those claims.

In my eyes you are being the bigot. Your ideology is completely intolerant of any diverse opinion or thought. Can't you see the hypocrisy you're engaged in? It would seem to me that your ideology is so weak and hollow that in order to make your arguments valid you have a discount the opposing view with a disgraceful term such as racist or nazi in an attempt to delegitimize them even if its unfounded and dishonest. It's kinda like one of your students getting a poor score on a test but saying that some of their classmates got even lower scores in an attempt to make themselves look and feel better. I'm not even sure they even score tests anymore though, it could be mean and hurtful to give someone a low score, oh unless they disagree with you of course.

Oh and you think this dude is trying to cash in on skateboarding? I bet he loses money making this film because it doesn't really look that good and its only going to be relatable to a small percentage of the population.

IF you were to ask me Gipper this guy ^ is acting as your friend. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2018, 06:31:56 PM »
For the record Jonah did talk about this movie on Howard Stern over a year ago and he seems legit to me. His weight fluctuates at a crazy rate though. Hoping he has a long life but he just looks like a guy who would OD.

ChiefSQueff

• Rep: -263
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
Has anyone actually seen this p o s movie? I'll rent it from my local library when it comes out. L A libraries are on point with their movie rentals. Who needs blockbuster

Freecory

Cory