Author Topic: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"  (Read 118176 times)

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
Re: Jonah Hill's movie "Mid 90s"
« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »
Ya'll niggaz are being wack right now.

1. I don't know Jonah's past so I cant say if he's real or not. BUT, being a skater isnt a transferable skill to making a good movie, definitely required for filming and editing a skate video but not for writing and directing a movie.

2. Judging stuff without watching it is what soccer moms and Republicans do. Ripping apart the one guy who actually saw the movie is weird.

3. All the movies that are focused around skateboarding sucks, if its good then it was only a side thing like 'Back to the Future'. At worst Mid 90s will just add to a strong tradition.

4. All of Spike Jonze's movies are overrated.

Woah woah woah. You nailed everything except for #4, Being John Malkovich and Adaptation are masterpieces.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #211 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #212 on: September 12, 2018, 11:15:19 AM »
Hahahahahaha, touche. I still stand by my points though.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
I heard Larry Clark has a mean switch back T 😎

Larry Clark is the asymptote of pedophilia
KIDS is more of a movie about underage sex than skateboarding

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
Everything Larry Clark has ever done has been about underage sex. I would say youthful debauchery is the main theme that his work is about. That's not a judgement just an observation.

I watched Thrashin last night because my internet was down and it is still objectively terrible but also super fun. Worst case scenario, Mid-90s will be similar.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #215 on: September 12, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »
All this Jonah Hill is not a skater bullshit is wack. If you want a skater made movie about skating go watch street dreams or whatever that abortion of a film was that PRod starred in. or like stay gold or something.
Who said there needs to be a skater made movie? Skateboarding is too raw and subjective to translate to movies. We can't even agree on what parts/vids are good. I have no problem with him wanting to make a movie but when you are trying to capture an era with the pretense that you lived it is something else. I'm not doubting that he's been into skating or has watched a bunch of videos but that sounds like a fan, not a skater. It's easy to say "who cares" but like many others on here I have put a lot time, money, effort, broken bones(&surgeries) into skating and I take it personally when someone who obviously didn't wants to be the voice.

shitdick22

• Rep: 1

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2018, 03:19:44 PM »
  Actually pondered skate scene infiltrators (who aren't really skaters) today.   I ended up deciding that if they successfully do it, you have to respect them and write off the  actual skaters that let it happen.   (edit;i wasn't thinking about Jonah -more people I've fucked with personally. )
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #218 on: September 12, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #219 on: September 12, 2018, 04:24:34 PM »
You guys with your lips death gripping his cock outnumber the others 5 to 1. I'll admit he might have done a kickflip once in his life, though that sequence is suspect at best. He's still a corny try hard and I'll fist fight every single one of you over him not being able to crooked grind.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:26:28 PM by shit_for_brains »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #220 on: September 12, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »
I want to see Ethan Embry play Jonah skate. Both have stills of them kickflipping. Crooked grind death match, something, cmon!

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 11
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
Think Jonah has ever done a crooked grind?
I already answered this earlier in the thread. He used to bail on lazy grinds at The Courthouse. He said they were frontside crooked grinds.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Think Jonah has ever done a crooked grind?
[close]
I already answered this earlier in the thread. He used to bail on lazy grinds at The Courthouse. He said they were frontside crooked grinds.
but really he couldn't get his back truck onto a 50-50?
sounds about right but that at least puts him in the ballpark and playing ball.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »
Sequence is fake and why the fuck not use video a normal smartphone these shoot like 4k he's a poser Jenkem knows it they just gave him a slack at the end. (That they shouldn't of)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »
I wish Jonah wasn’t trying to hard to be the cool guy he never was on HS and using his fame to hangout with Fat Bill and those dorks and trying to make his own Kids.  If he used his talent to do something with the wknd guys that was fun and not some moody 2000s Sundance-bait “artistic statement”.   

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2018, 08:08:23 PM »
A24 is gonna be super bummed out when they realize they lost the support of all the crybabies who wait for their size to pop up in the pile of clearance sneakers.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
i always thought it was a little suspect he'd claim Chico Brenes as his favorite skater as someone who got into skating in LA at the turn of the millenium.  It's not like FTC vids were floating around.  Always reeked of trying to claim some "core" guy as his favorite to give him cred.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
« Reply #227 on: September 12, 2018, 08:25:38 PM »
i always thought it was a little suspect he'd claim Chico Brenes as his favorite skater as someone who got into skating in LA at the turn of the millenium.  It's not like FTC vids were floating around.  Always reeked of trying to claim some "core" guy as his favorite to give him cred.

i get where you're coming from on this but (and this is not a slight on chico at all) he always had the kind of accessible style of skating that people who knew they'd never get that good could aspire to. even now he's so amazing but he's just doing the kind of flatground stuff that seems learnable.

(edit)
i'm not sticking up for jonah here. just sticking up for skaters that knew they'd never chomp rails and looked up to people that liked his style of skating. it makes sense on that level cause i am fat and not good too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 08:28:16 PM by Buck Russell »

verylowimpact

• Rep: -169
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:33:28 PM by verylowimpact »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2018, 01:55:42 AM »
I remember when I was psyched as a kid when I found a celeb was down with skating.
Now apparently they have to have the right favorite skater, wear the right shirts, wear the right sneakers or hang with the cool dudes. But not the 'too cool dudes'.

Jonah, Jonah, Jonah...

*shaking my head*

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #230 on: September 13, 2018, 05:36:47 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMwdv9MbAVA&t=185s

I'll watch for sure.

Nakel's outfit = Questionable. Maybe an homage to skateboarding?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:39:05 AM by PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER »

Knox Harrington

« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2018, 05:54:30 AM »
He was into skateboarding in 1997. That's Mouse days.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2018, 06:55:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Ya'll niggaz are being wack right now.

1. I don't know Jonah's past so I cant say if he's real or not. BUT, being a skater isnt a transferable skill to making a good movie, definitely required for filming and editing a skate video but not for writing and directing a movie.

2. Judging stuff without watching it is what soccer moms and Republicans do. Ripping apart the one guy who actually saw the movie is weird.

3. All the movies that are focused around skateboarding sucks, if its good then it was only a side thing like 'Back to the Future'. At worst Mid 90s will just add to a strong tradition.

4. All of Spike Jonze's movies are overrated.
[close]

Woah woah woah. You nailed everything except for #4, Being John Malkovich and Adaptation are masterpieces.

No intention to knock on Spike's directing but I think these are more masterpieces, in my opinion, due to Charlie Kaufman's writing.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »
He was born in december 1983, he don't know shit about mid 90's, he was 11yo in 1995, he's more a millennial in skateboarding era lol

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #234 on: September 13, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »
He was born in december 1983, he don't know shit about mid 90's, he was 11yo in 1995, he's more a millennial in skateboarding era lol
  Considering his movie is about a little kid in the mid 90's, it would make perfect sense.  Even skaters around the same age were probably watching vhs tapes of skateboarding from the 90's during the early millennium (ie. People probably only owned videos that were made in the 90s and new videos were still filmed during the late 90s). 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:48:22 AM by EmilioBestevez »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: September 13, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  Considering his movie is about a little kid in the mid 90's, it would make perfect sense.  Even skaters around the same age were probably watching vhs tapes of skateboarding from the 90's during the early millennium (ie. People probably only owned videos that were made in the 90s and new videos were still filmed during the late 90s).
nah it's not a movie about a kid who's watching 90's skate videos, I nailed it .
/thread 8)

E

« Reply #236 on: September 13, 2018, 08:07:21 AM »

Or he was 12 years old and those are formative years my guy...

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2018, 08:36:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
nah it's not a movie about a kid who's watching 90's skate videos, I nailed it .
/thread 8)

Well despite the title, the movie isn't even about the 90's, so you went to nail it and you hit yourself in the thumb.  Remember that movie Scorcese made about mid 1800's New York?  What a poser he was.
/thread
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:40:18 AM by EmilioBestevez »

thebacker

« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2018, 08:38:57 AM »
How can you make a movie about 1990 when its 2018!!!1

grrrr jonah! dO U eVeN tImE tRaVeL?!

the snake

• SLAP Pal