Author Topic: Slap's consensus on Krux trucks  (Read 12648 times)

nsskater1993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Slap's consensus on Krux trucks
« on: July 24, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »
I've tried Thunder, Indy, Venture, Ace, and Tensor. Krux are really cheap. Are Krux worth the money or will I absolutely hate them? The reviews I have checked out leave me confused as the feedback tends to be mixed. I don't think I'll be skating them much as I'm pretty set on Thunders, but I wanted to set up another deck for fun and these are on sale.

Thanks in advance..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Slap's consensus on Krux trucks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 01:44:54 PM »
I've tried Thunder, Indy, Venture, Ace, and Tensor. Krux are really cheap. Are Krux worth the money or will I absolutely hate them? The reviews I have checked out leave me confused as the feedback tends to be mixed. I don't think I'll be skating them much as I'm pretty set on Thunders, but I wanted to set up another deck for fun and these are on sale.

Thanks in advance..

Slap doesn't really like them, but then, Slap doesn't like everything depending on what week it is (except DLX, 90s setups and smallboard companies).

If you like/are set on thunders, you probably won't like/prefer Krux over them - they are a less turny Indy style ride. They grind amazballs tho, seriously. Great (debatable on this forum) bushings too.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:46:40 PM by Xen »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
I had some downlows before I started paying attention to my gear so I can't say how they are compared to Thunder, Indy, Ace etc. But I do remember skating them fine without any complaints, and the kingpin clearance was nice. Can't say how I'd feel about them now that I can actually notice the differences between  things.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
Got a free pair many years ago, they were unobjectionable, which is to say just fine.
I skate ventures out of habit.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
Traded a deck for a pair a while back.  They did seem to grind really well.  They were 8.25's.  My other trucks were Thunder 149's.  I would swap back and forth every month or so for a bit.  I kept going back to the Thunders but the Krux were alright.  They didn't seem to turn as well as the Thunder to me but they felt more stable than the Indys I had a while before.  I could never get the Indys dialed in to turn right.  I just got a pair of 8.38 Mini Logos for really cheap.  They seem to turn more like the Indys did but feel a bit more stable to me. 

TL:DR, they're different from Thunders, but you may like em.  If they're cheap and you want em, get em!  If you find that they aren't for you, sell em or trade em.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 02:52:28 PM »
Traded a deck for a pair a while back.  They did seem to grind really well.  They were 8.25's.  My other trucks were Thunder 149's.  I would swap back and forth every month or so for a bit.  I kept going back to the Thunders but the Krux were alright.  They didn't seem to turn as well as the Thunder to me but they felt more stable than the Indys I had a while before.  I could never get the Indys dialed in to turn right.  I just got a pair of 8.38 Mini Logos for really cheap.  They seem to turn more like the Indys did but feel a bit more stable to me. 

TL:DR, they're different from Thunders, but you may like em.  If they're cheap and you want em, get em!  If you find that they aren't for you, sell em or trade em.

mini logo trucks are pretty decent for cheep trucks.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 03:12:47 PM »
krux are very underrated.  they turn great, the mirror finish ones look and grind great.  slap just loves to hate on them because they look a little goofy and their marketing is corny as hell.  worthy alternative to the "big 3" along with Ace. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 03:48:56 PM »
don't bother
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
krux are very underrated.  they turn great, the mirror finish ones look and grind great.  slap just loves to hate on them because they look a little goofy and their marketing is corny as hell.  worthy alternative to the "big 3" along with Ace.

Hot dogs, jelly beans, fucking terrible, grills, animal prints, etc., etc.

However, I always thought the Silas Kampfires were on point:

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 05:06:39 PM »
Pine skates for them, ask him!

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »
Absolutely hated mine. Tried them out last year and they wouldn't turn worth a shit despite the praise I've heard about their bushings. Lately I've been skating polished venture hi's with indy super soft bushings and I've finally found my perfect truck.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »
I love Krux  8)

shark tits

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
"hollow like my downlows"
insane krux posse

MetaldudeX

• Rep: 0
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 06:47:37 PM »
I’ve been wanting to try krux. Been skating Indy’s and love them but Ive been getting axel slip. But I’ve heard they’re not the best transition truck and I’ve been skating more of that lately. Maybe I’ll take a chance on a sale price.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
krux, thunder, venture, there's lots of ok trucks.
try em, worst case ya don't get used to em and go back to whatever else. i think it's all hype for indy but there's like 4 or 5 good trucks and wheels are wheels and decks are [w/in reason] decks. always hated crailtap boards.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
I just set up a brand new cruiser board and I bought a pair of krux cause they were pretty cheap. It's my first time skating krux and I think they're pretty good. I can't really claim to have the same turning issues as everyone else, but then again it's not my primary set up.

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 09:51:34 PM »
I think they handle a lil weird. They feel normal when fully "turned" but riding straight feels a lil shaky or imbalanced

They do grind pretty well thought.
(Cool Trick GIF)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »
I absolutely fucking hated mine. Unstable and didn't turn. Couldn't get them to wheelbite with 54 mm wheels. Floppy lean instead of a turn. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I love stock Aces and used Indys before which are both lightyears ahead of Krux IMO.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 01:11:23 AM »
I absolutely fucking hated mine. Unstable and didn't turn. Couldn't get them to wheelbite with 54 mm wheels. Floppy lean instead of a turn. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I love stock Aces and used Indys before which are both lightyears ahead of Krux IMO.

haha how i felt having em on a cruiser
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

FluFlammer

• Rep: 1
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 03:09:55 AM »
i stopped riding krux after i had a kingpin snap from a flat ground ollie

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 06:14:57 AM »
I skate destructo...

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 07:07:55 AM »
I like them. There is definitely something to the fact that they don't turn as well, but a big part of it is just the amount of force required at the end of the turn. It leads to a major 'feeling' that they don't turn well, especially at slow speeds. If you are used to other trucks you will step off on your first sharp turn with Krux, which is weird, but then after that it's fine and at normal speeds the turn is just barely less than the other stuff. I wouldn't recommend them for a 2nd setup, but more for someone looking for a quality pair of mains that they are willing to get used to. Also if you like slow and carve-y then I would avoid them.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 08:16:00 AM »
I liked them before I knew what made good trucks. I remember liking the sound of the grind.

#alexander#

• Rep: 10
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 03:54:57 PM »
Absolutely hated mine. Tried them out last year and they wouldn't turn worth a shit despite the praise I've heard about their bushings. Lately I've been skating polished venture hi's with indy super soft bushings and I've finally found my perfect truck.

I've skated krux quite a bit, they are slightly unstable while going straight. I think it can help when landing sketchy, gives you some wiggle room. I don't think they deserve the hate though. Good trucks.

I'm now also riding venture hi with Indy super soft and I love it.

calvinsdream

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
Does anyone really need anything besides Thunder or Indy (or mayyyybe ACE)?

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
I for one, am indifferent.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »

I need (ok, ok want) a truck:

As light as a thunder ti, hollow weight minimum
Forged plate but slightly taller than a cast thunder but below the 55mm 'standard' probably 53/54 (looking at you Indy forged)
Doesn't extend the wheelbase like a thunder but also doesn't shrink it (as much as ace, theeve or Indy)
Baseplate that extends past the wheels
Sits right in the middle of thunder twitchy and Ace carvey but not slow like Indy...something neutral that can be stable on center and still carve

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 12:24:25 AM »
I had a set, loved em. They turned just like my Indys and grinded really nicely.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Forged plate but slightly taller than a cast thunder but below the 55mm 'standard' probably 53/54 (looking at you Indy forged)
Doesn't extend the wheelbase like a thunder but also doesn't shrink it (as much as ace, theeve or Indy)
Sits right in the middle of thunder twitchy and Ace carvey but not slow like Indy...something neutral that can be stable on center and still carve

I dunno why, but that truck your imagining seems impossible..

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Closest thing I can think of are the Tensor ATGs Mag Lights.