Author Topic: Ace Trucks for Street Skating  (Read 7000 times)

StreetAce

Ace Trucks for Street Skating
« on: July 29, 2018, 12:09:41 AM »
Hey Guys,

I know there's been several threads on Ace trucks on here, and skateboardcity forums and all of that but I've got to know if there are others out there who just cant get over the size, look and feel of a 44. I picked up a pair when I was recovering from a fractured ankle and could only skate tranny. I've been a street skater for almost 10 years, and now that I'm getting my ankle mobility back I'm itching to start. Just curious if any of you have ventured out of the pools and bowls that we all know and love, and onto the streets, parks and flat ground to give these trucks a whirl. Specifics like the pinch on grinds, grinding on different surfaces and any other comments are much appreciated. Cheers fellas!

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Ace Trucks for Street Skating
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 02:15:18 AM »
Look up Eli P Williams

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 03:58:23 AM »
Look up Eli P Williams

DYSTOPIA INTENSIFIES

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 07:22:47 AM »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 08:44:40 AM »
Look at Zared.....

They are also a bit heavy.....id say they are definitely worth a try because of how they turn...super fun.

I'd also just stand on someone's board that has thunders....which are quite different just to see if that's better for you....

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »
Zered skates for Tensor.

I fuck with Ace trucks, but once they grind down, they bow out and your wheels will wear unevenly and cone out.

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
Good for shrinking wheelbase on longer decks. With conical bushings, the turn is pretty similar to thunders but with a deeper radius. The grind is pretty nice, just a tad bit softer of a feeling compared to Indy and thunder..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »
Hey Guys,

I know there's been several threads on Ace trucks on here, and skateboardcity forums and all of that but I've got to know if there are others out there who just cant get over the size, look and feel of a 44. I picked up a pair when I was recovering from a fractured ankle and could only skate tranny. I've been a street skater for almost 10 years, and now that I'm getting my ankle mobility back I'm itching to start. Just curious if any of you have ventured out of the pools and bowls that we all know and love, and onto the streets, parks and flat ground to give these trucks a whirl. Specifics like the pinch on grinds, grinding on different surfaces and any other comments are much appreciated. Cheers fellas!

Night and day.

Thunders will pinch better.

Ace will turn better.

Thunders are lighter.

Aces are heavy.

Thunder forged are 52.3 (+1mm for cast plates)

ACE Cast are 52mm

Thunders have worse wheelbite

ACE are very turny

Thunders are not as turny

ACE will also have wheebite

Thunders feel harder when grinding

ACE feel softer

Both come with shit pivot cups

Thunder have a long wb

ACE have a short WB

ACE are better in bowls, unless you are Chris Miller (or his son) or Cody Lockwood

Thunder are better in the streets unless you are...um....I got nothing to go up against the millers

Diocletian

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 06:34:50 AM »
I’ve been thinking of getting some lightweight version of Thunders with the cast plates just to try out a lighter truck for a change and see if it makes much of a difference. I’m pretty sure thunder with the cast plates are the 52.3mm height. The forged are 1mm lower.

If I’m addicted to Ace’s turn and don’t even use a top bushing I’m pretty sure I’ll be disappointed as heck with Thunder’s turn though. Am I right?

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
I’ve been thinking of getting some lightweight version of Thunders with the cast plates just to try out a lighter truck for a change and see if it makes much of a difference. I’m pretty sure thunder with the cast plates are the 52.3mm height. The forged are 1mm lower.

If I’m addicted to Ace’s turn and don’t even use a top bushing I’m pretty sure I’ll be disappointed as heck with Thunder’s turn though. Am I right?

You'll never be able to skate them as loose as Ace, but I think Thunder makes up for that by having such a rapid turn. I'm addicted to the twitchy Thunder turn and the way my board flips with them. Biggest gripe with them is either the baseplates are too short or the axle needs to be brought in some so the baseplate will make better contact with ledges.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 05:22:54 PM »
...Biggest gripe with them is either the baseplates are too short or the axle needs to be brought in some so the baseplate will make better contact with ledges.
Sooo there is surely a max wheel size to set up before having this unwanted friction from the side... anybody knows or measured??

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 05:39:59 PM »
Expand Quote
...Biggest gripe with them is either the baseplates are too short or the axle needs to be brought in some so the baseplate will make better contact with ledges.
[close]
Sooo there is surely a max wheel size to set up before having this unwanted friction from the side... anybody knows or measured??

I'm riding 52mm classics (probably 51s) and I still have to tilt to get the right angle (both on or off the board). I'd guess a 48 for perfectly locked in.

Doesn't seem to affect the pros at all tho...

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »
Eli Reed kills it pretty hard on Ace trucks. But I think most pros can kill it on almost any setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PATaCNma6pA