Author Topic: hollow forged vs standard cast  (Read 872 times)

goodnews_cigjuice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
hollow forged vs standard cast
« on: July 30, 2022, 07:15:46 PM »
Ive been wanting to try some venture 5.8s. I currently ride 149 forged hollows but wanted to go back to venture for the pop and just to try something different after riding these indys into the ground. Is there a major difference between the forged plates and the standard cast ones? Lighter trucks would be nice but its not something that affects me that much. Is there a noticeable difference in weight? thanks yall

brownjenkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: hollow forged vs standard cast
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 08:48:35 PM »
The major difference and dealbreaker for me between forged ventures and cast ones is the mounting holes on the forged are drilled further down the baseplate so they extend the wheelbase

If that doesn't bother you and you're looking for a reduction in weight, then they will be noticeably lighter than the cast

My dream truck is actually 5.6 forged hollow ventures drilled in the cast position

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: hollow forged vs standard cast
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 06:52:17 AM »
Lighter and lower on the forged plates as they are 1 to 1.5 or so mm lower than the cast plates, on the main brands - Indy, Thunder and Venture - aren't they?  They are on Indy.

I know some people prefer a lower setup as well, so they will swap out certain parts to get the forged plates, regardless of the hangers they have.

@brownjenkin  Re extend wheelbase - I know I am the last one to talk as I like a very specific setup, with specific wheelbase, but when I was trying different trucks, I would get boards I knew had certain wheelbases to work with the trucks, eg Ace and Indy I would get longer wheelbase boards and then Thunder and Venture I got slightly shorter wheelbase boards, to try to even it out for what I was used to.  Turns out it didn't matter as I was more used to the turn of the specific trucks than anything else and can ride the different trucks on the same boards with more or less success.

I know others who have also tried that and found the sweet spot with different trucks on different boards though.  In theory it should work, but sometimes if you are used to a specific brand, shape and size, going with something different can mess with things more than you might like.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.