Author Topic: the Economics of Skateboards  (Read 565 times)

tortfeasor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
the Economics of Skateboards
« on: July 31, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »
All the talk about raising board prices has made my brain spin. it seems to violate every rule of economics i ever learned.   I don't understand how every Popsicle deck from every brand in every size in every store charges pretty much the exact same amount (50-60)dollars regardless of location in the US.  Its like backwards price fixing.  I cant think of a single industry other than commodities where there is less price stratification across output. most certianly not in sporting good.  Even during massive rises and falls in demand end user price has stayed the same which makes it different than commodities prices.
 also how do independently owned brick and motor specialty stores still exist with regularity. Comics and Booze are the only two other "hobbies" that seem to be able to sustain.   

i asked planet money but they never responded so can some one smarter than me please explain how are skateboarding hardgoods are (seemingly) immune to economic trends?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:38:16 AM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

doomstation55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
Re: the Economics of Skateboards
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:49:19 AM »
I would LOVE a planet money episode about this, it really is mind boggling that it's lasted this long.

I would guess that back in the day skateboards were overpriced, then became market corrected (around 2003-2009), and now with the competition becoming more spread out and budget options still being available (shop decks, remive, etc.) it's remained stagnant. That's really all just speculation though.

As far as other "specialty stores" there are a few more I can think of. Bicycles and ski/snowboard shops are big ones and often times these can bleed over to include skateboards in them. Golf and tennis are pretty big too.