Author Topic: Does skateboarding/skate shoes cause flat feet?  (Read 3673 times)

theskaterhere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Does skateboarding/skate shoes cause flat feet?
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
I know this is random...
Like myself, I've had flat feet and never really thought much about it. However, I understand this can cause issues for some people. Considering skate shoes are typically rather flat and unsupportive, does this cause foot structure changes over time? I no longer wear just skate shoes after 10 years, and switching to running style shoes has made a big difference for me.

What are your thoughts?

The Dope

• Rep: -6
Re: Does skateboarding/skate shoes cause flat feet?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 02:24:31 PM »
Skate shoes daily? I would say nah, the opposite... Just look at weight lifters who use converse all stars. The flatness is great for letting all those micro muscles, tendons, etc, in your foot get activated. Wearing them regularly would generally create a more active foot, more balance and stronger muscles.

As for actually jumping down shit with skate shoes on, if they have no cushion at all then obviously your feet are going to take a beating. You can combat that by wearing good shoes or insoles, maybe even do some exercises to keep your arches strong.

Flat feet are mostly genetics, from serious foot injuries causing weak arches or from being such a fat fuck that your feet flatten out under your own weight. I have high arches and cannot relate to anything flat footed but I hope this helps dawg

Like i have said before, if you're 360% serious, then go see a foot doctor and not the slap message boards lmaoo

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:42:48 PM »
Weight lifters use olympic weight lifting shoes with plastic super hard 1,5 inch heel (Nike Romaleos, AdiPower, etc.). You're thinking of power lifters, I think.

I was flat footed when I was a kid and it was pretty shitty. Grew out of it. However, skate shoes make my feet hurt a bit.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 12:49:53 AM »
I've had flat feet my entire life so couldn't tell ya. Must be nice to have arches.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

The Dope

• Rep: -6
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 08:19:53 AM »
I've had flat feet my entire life so couldn't tell ya. Must be nice to have arches.

Yeah my arches are higher than normal, only downside is that I used to walk on my toes instead of heel then toes.

Weight lifters use olympic weight lifting shoes with plastic super hard 1,5 inch heel (Nike Romaleos, AdiPower, etc.). You're thinking of power lifters, I think.

I was flat footed when I was a kid and it was pretty shitty. Grew out of it. However, skate shoes make my feet hurt a bit.

word, power lifters not weight lifters, my bad.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
flat is the way.  What that dude^ said about it building foot muscles.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Team Player

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 04:27:16 AM »
Flat/fallen arches can lead to over pronation which can also lead to knock knees. It can also leave you more susceptible to rolling your ankle. Look after your feet, I wish I had...

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 10:29:43 PM »
I've had flat feet my entire life. Never had any problems with them. Would be interesting to start trying to build up the muscles at this age.