Author Topic: Ocean Howell Interview  (Read 1413 times)

fergus

• Rep: 4
Ocean Howell Interview
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:57:18 AM »

FULTON

• Rep: 0
Re: Ocean Howell Interview
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:27:34 AM »
Thank you for posting this — always like Oceans ideas 💡

alonelikeastone

• Rep: 63
  • It's a sad and beautiful world.
    • Wander
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »
Thanks for posting... I'll check it out later on...

here is an older thing with Ocean...

http://www.webdelsol.com/Topic/articles/04/howell.html

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:03:05 AM »
Relevant to my interest.
Thanks you.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
    • $w@rm
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 09:18:30 AM »
Excellent read. Kinda skimmed through the second half of the interview.

It did motivate me to reach out to the SF Public Library and ask them about reverting the main library back to what it used to be. It's a shot in the dark, but being able to skate that place after they close (without the skate stoppers) would definitely be rad. After they booted the skaters that place turned right back into a heroin / meth / piss and poop den.

huggs

• Rep: -2
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:14:55 AM »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »
I liked the post-symposium vibe.

gaseous clay

• Rep: 3
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
I'd be interested in reading his essay ‘Public Skateboard Parks are the Neo Liberal Playground’ but it costs $36.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • Stuffed Animal Serial Killer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
I'd be interested in reading his essay ‘Public Skateboard Parks are the Neo Liberal Playground’ but it costs $36.

Check your PMs
I like my women the same way I like my personified cups of coffee...black...strong...and proud.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
Got a copy of Free the other day and this interview was in it. Great read, interesting ideas and I wish there was more legitimate editorial like this in the skateboard world. Free has been doing an amazing job of that these days.

gaseous clay

• Rep: 3
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »
Quick summary of “Skatepark as Neoliberal Playground” by Ocean Howell

Ye Olden days
Public playgrounds were invented as a response to kids playing stickball, kick-the-can, etc. in the streets, as depicted in the photography of Eric Rii's "How the Other Half Lives". The goal of the city planners of the time was assimilation and the instillation of group identity and loyalty in order to create good citizens (and keep those little heathens from blocking the venues of commerce $$). The city was willing to use tax dollars to provide these spaces and assumed liability.

Playgrounds had “play leaders” and lots of rules and ideas often based on extremely crude understandings of childhood development.

There's a thing called the "Playground Association of America" (whoda thought?)

Modern Times
By excluding undesirable people from “public space” through anti-skate, anti-homeless architecture, combined with aggressive policing, skaters can be contained in skateparks, thus keeping them from clogging the arteries of capitalism.
City planners recognized that skateboarders tend to be individualistic and assume responsibility for themselves (in a sense that they rarely sue people when they get hurt). They can also be considered “entrepreneurial” in that they raise money and build their own facilities (DIYs). These are considered neoliberalist values that governments want to encourage (akin the removal of regulation and the privatization of public spaces). DIYs often displace other, even less desirable people, opening the way for gentrification, all without the government spending a dime.

In 2006 Jamie Thomas was named Ernst & Young’s entrepreneur of the year . . .

Sounds cooler if you say " I'm not scratching your bench - I'm activating this space".