Author Topic: Fred Gall vs IRS  (Read 25162 times)

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2188
Re: Fred Gall vs IRS
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »
If he tapes, and posts him beating up Daryl I'll donate a good chunk of my lunch money

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2018, 08:50:45 PM »
It's a joke started by Jenkem just to see how quickly we can turn on one of our own. His(&all pro skaters) lifestyle was glorified in the 90s/early 00s when they're dropping content and jackass etc is front and center. Now that his switch back 5s aren't as long everybody is like "fuck em - I had to get a job so he should too". We all had to get jobs because we weren't good enough at skating and sure if we would have got a shoe check we would all stash away the 30-40% for taxes. Maybe he fucked up, got assets seized and now has garnished paychecks all while being the sole provider for his mom and uncle. life sucks and sometimes people get in shitty situations. If he ODs or his liver bursts tonight everybody would be on here celebrating his life and what a free spirit and the essence of skating etc. Just like you have plenty of skaters that have gone too soon through the years because of bad decisions/thier own fault. Fred is a legend because of how he did. If he did it some other way he would another geek nobody talks about.

Womp Womp

Here Come The Lame Jets

headtowall

• Rep: -14
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2018, 05:34:53 AM »
Joe Castrucci dropped $200. Back on Habitat confirmed

Radbloke

• Rep: 75
  • Quit jivin me, turkey.
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2018, 05:39:18 AM »
If he tapes, and posts him beating up Daryl I'll donate a good chunk of my lunch money

In fact, fuck it. I'll pay the entire remainder of whatever is owed if Frederick does the Fosters car park boogie with Daryl.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2018, 05:51:58 AM »
Is it possible to have him canonised, recognised as a charity for tax exemption, and skateboarding doing the proper thing with the Olympics and only sending one guy?
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

ChiefSQueff

• Rep: -263
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »
I donated 100 dollars because I love fred. Next month he will have to come up with another chunk of money and probably wont get it and end up in jail. The fact he was teammates with Drydek for years makes me think Fred just doesn't give a fuck. Im sure Drydek gave him tons of advice and helped him. Fred we love you but shit caught up

opinionated bastard

• Rep: -179
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
sounds like a you problem freddie

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »
wonder why he didnt sell some signed prints to make some cash, kinda like Kalis did recently. sw 50 down hubba woulda been nice.

That probably go over better than a go fund me.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2018, 02:03:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
what a fuckin child. I can't believe hie is celebrated by skater children and adults alike for his irresponsible and childish lifestyle.
donating to this go fund  me is just another way that he'll land on his feet and not learn any lesson from his mistake.
[close]

This is one of the craziest things about skateboarding. We celebrate and encourage the shit out of people who are completely blowing it at (creating a superficial and stale suburban) life, but after we get our entertainment out of them we say, "Well you should have been more responsible."

What an amazing catch-22. If the skaters were more "responsible" (read: neo-liberal business minded weasels) we'd collectively hate them (see Nyjah, Sheckler, P-Rod, Jagger Eaton, Dyrdek, etc.), but when they are "irresponsible" we love them until they need any help. Something about this seems really fucked up.
[close]

What are you talking about? I see constant praise for skateboarders that set themselves up for life outside of skateboarding. It's been eight years since Heath Kirchart retired, and people still marvel at the fact that he invested and set himself up to retire on his terms. And I challenge you to find a Mark Suciu interview where he isn't asked about higher education. I think there's a pretty big gap between being a functioning adult and being among the stratosphere of the pros you listed.

First, in relation to Mark Suciu's education and his image in skateboarding, the first interview that popped up on Google states, "Mark Suciu is not your typical pro. Despite having a board on Habitat and a signature shoe on adidas, Mark is continuing his education. In the summer of 2015, he moved to New York to focus on completing his undergrad degree; he’s currently in his final year" (http://theberrics.com/mark-suciu-inspired-by/). The interview starts off framing Mark as unique because he is going to college. I'm going to guess that Suciu is is basically in the same spot Rattray was in 10 years ago. He is celebrated for being an outlier in a subculture that promotes not thinking about the future. It reminds me of the episode of the Boondocks where Thugnificant congratulates Huey for reading. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvjCGgG26CI

Second, you'll always be able to find a few dudes who developed good exit plans (Heath) or just got insanely lucky post-fucking around (or had mommy and daddy's money to support them post-career so they look "responsible"), but I think it is hard to argue that being responsible is a solid selling point for most pros/ams. Think of the brands that most of us grew up wishing we could be on Baker, Anti-Hero, enjoi, etc. a significant part of what made those brands and the skaters awesome was the fact that they didn't give a fuck.  There are dudes from those companies that sobered up and reduced the craziness, but the partying, hijinks, and irresponsibility is what made them so marketable in the first place.

I agree Dyrdek, Eaton, Sheckler, Lutzka, etc. are extremes, but I don't think being Mr. Responsible is going to help the decks fly off the shelves. Finally, if you want we could actually solve this shit scientifically (rather than relying on anecdotal evidence). One way might be to look at which skaters are most celebrated and hated on Slap in the past month (#of positive comments vs # negative comments) and then measure how "future oriented" or "present oriented" each skater was based on their recent interviews (and maybe video parts). We would need to think up a way to measure "thinking about the future" and "living in a never ending present," but I would bet that the skaters who overtly think about the future get shit on far more often than those who fuck around in the present.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:51:57 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

ChiefSQueff

« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
100 bucks says he spends all this gofundme money on booze and coke. He ain't paying the IRS. Jokes on us

midevilco

« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »
wonder why he didnt sell some signed prints to make some cash, kinda like Kalis did recently. sw 50 down hubba woulda been nice.

Good idea for next round.

chilllyboy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »
He made it y'all. Looks like uncle freddy's gonna be allright.

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
He made it y'all. Looks like uncle freddy's gonna be allright.

Fred Gall.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 529
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2018, 04:46:55 PM »

Thats Blabacs deal. I don't make a cent from those.

Bummer Fred didn't keep up on his taxes. Shit is no joke. Maybe i should have done a gofundme when Philly extorted me for hella money...

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2018, 06:45:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bummer Fred didn't keep up on his taxes. Shit is no joke. Maybe i should have done a gofundme when Philly extorted me for hella money...
But, it's Philly. Always will be. Love it, hate it, but always Love it

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2018, 01:21:00 AM »
Joe Castrucci dropped $200. Back on Habitat confirmed

BobbyPshew

• Rep: -61
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2018, 03:13:08 AM »
That's exactly what I imagined Freddy's handwriting to look like.
Ron Don's Playpen-Home Of The $2 Lap Dance

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
à

Wasnt aware of that arrangement or if that’s the norm. However, youd think maybe the photog would cut Freddy some slack given the situation and allow him to have a run of some print to get him out of the jam?
I always found it odd that the photog gets all the credit for the photo, and the skate gets “nothing” – hell get exposure and maybe an incentive from his sponsors or something, but without the skater, theres no photo, so Id figure / assume it be shared so to speak.

Skate politics.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
à

Wasnt aware of that arrangement or if that’s the norm. However, youd think maybe the photog would cut Freddy some slack given the situation and allow him to have a run of some print to get him out of the jam?
I always found it odd that the photog gets all the credit for the photo, and the skate gets “nothing” – hell get exposure and maybe an incentive from his sponsors or something, but without the skater, theres no photo, so Id figure / assume it be shared so to speak.

Skate politics.

Not really.  If you commission an artist to paint a portrait of you, you are by NO MEANS a "shared owner" for that piece of work.  You'd still have to buy it from the artist.  Same deal. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

feedmeseymour

« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2018, 11:46:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
à

Skate politics.
[close]

Not really.  If you commission an artist to paint a portrait of you, you are by NO MEANS a "shared owner" for that piece of work.  You'd still have to buy it from the artist.  Same deal.

https://youtu.be/b7lbshD_ess?t=10s

morningcommute

« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
à

Skate politics.
[close]

[close]

https://youtu.be/b7lbshD_ess?t=10s

Beautiful youtube usage.

MASTiF

« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2018, 01:31:26 PM »

It's not too late to become a pro golfer

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
I would consider donating $1.67 for every second of new Fred Gall footage.

-No B-roll. Only style and hams.
-Street footage only.
-Must be filmed exclusively in I-Paths
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:58:26 PM by streetsoup »

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2018, 07:32:51 AM »

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2018, 07:41:55 AM »
So he's in Berlin and expects other people to foot his bills...

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
You really expect him to NOT hang out in berlin and drink with Olsen? The guy isn't dying. I'm sure there's tons of people that are still willing to pay his tabs.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
yeah kinda a crazy idea, but when im broke, i dont go on vacation.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3313
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2018, 09:12:09 AM »
This reminds me of several people I know here in LA. They're HIV positive and living on full disability and in section 8 housing. They won't work because it would overwhelm their immune system. Every other IG photo is of them on some 15 day cruise or snowboarding somewhere fabulous.
I'm not saying Fred Gall is HIV positive, but I am saying that you idiots giving to his gofundme are purchasing him a ticket to Berlin to hang with the legendary Olson and have a beer in lieu of paying down his IRS debt.

ChiefSQueff

« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2018, 09:13:35 AM »
Fuck Fred. Dude spent his money on a ticket to berlin and fucked us

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
This reminds me of several people I know here in LA. They're HIV positive and living on full disability and in section 8 housing. They won't work because it would overwhelm their immune system. Every other IG photo is of them on some 15 day cruise or snowboarding somewhere fabulous.
I'm not saying Fred Gall is HIV positive, but I am saying that you idiots giving to his gofundme are purchasing him a ticket to Berlin to hang with the legendary Olson and have a beer in lieu of paying down his IRS debt.

Hahaaa and he's got his own custom beer releasing soon... Fred living the dream out here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmCQe4mlq_j/?taken-by=freddygall