Author Topic: So, Habitat did a collab with Bob's Burgers...  (Read 3837 times)

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
Re: So, Habitat did a collab with Bob's Burgers...
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »
Expand Quote
This shit allows Daryl Angel to still get paychecks while Fred Gall begs for money on the internet.
[close]

caption contest?

Gayle: "Don't hurt Mr Business!"
Daryl: "It's cool, I only beat the shit out of women."

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 02:12:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'd love to see some of you guys school pictures along the way. I'm sure your parents wanted to give up on you many times along the way based on your "phases". Hot Topic collabs with emo hair and white belts.

But I'm sure many of you were probably always cool.
[close]

i like your nurturing approach, but i'm wondering, for how long did you hold on to hope that world industries would eventually make it through its wet willy/flame boy phase?

i'm willing to overlook this phase from habitat just as i would if i were to have a child that wore an insane clown posse shirt, but if habitat starts going on a primitive-esque run of collabs, just as if that kid were to start rocking juggalo face paint, i may have to cut all ties.
[close]

Gnar'd. This is the type of stuff that unfortunately in this day and age, is necessary for some companies to pay the bills. I don't like it, but I also want Habitat to be around. This company means a ton to me and has since day 1. Pals Art Hellman and SFB can back that fact. I am willing to overlook a certain level of this shit but I also agree with Heckler's post above...it sucks sometimes to see this stuff from a once mighty company, but if it keeps the lights on and is able to pay dudes like Silas and keep Joe working on great shit, so be it. Habitat is working on a video. If this Bob's Burgers collab helps underwrite them to get that video to us, fucking perfect.

Brennan Conroy gave this interview to Jenkem in 2014 right around the time Habitat rose from the ashes of the Pac Vector debacle. But it's a timely read even now.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/07/08/habitat-skateboards-is-still-alive/

It sheds some light into why companies have to do collabs like this. At the time of this interview he mentions that everyone gave Joe Castucci shit for doing the cork longboards, but those cork longboards subsidized some other rad shit they were doing.
Those are all valid points and ones I'd accept had Habitat been doing... well, anything to make this collab worthwhile. Seriously, when the fuck was the last time Habitat did ANYTHING? I get they're "working on a video" but they barely have an Instagram presence anymore (seemingly the bare minimum for a brand to do), and I constantly associate almost all of their riders with other ventures and projects.

For comparison, AWS has been in a similar compromising position for much of Habitat's recent tenure, and they still managed to drop a promo and a few web parts.

Edit: for the record, I like Bob's Burgers and I think there's somewhat of a market for a collab like this, but I don't want to see Habitat doing it. They should be above this.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:04:33 PM by heckler »
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

cloudy

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »

Those are all valid points and ones I'd accept had Habitat been doing... well, anything to make this collab worthwhile. Seriously, when the fuck was the last time Habitat did ANYTHING? I get they're "working on a video" but they barely have an Instagram presence anymore (seemingly the bare minimum for a brand to do), and I constantly associate almost all of their riders with other ventures and projects.

or the pink floyd collab from 2016? or the twin peaks collab from 2017? i'm reminded of the story of 17-year-old steven ortiz of glendora, ca, who, starting with an old cell phone a friend gave him, used craigslist to trade up 14 times over two years to eventually end up with a porsche boxster. maybe what's going on here is that habitat is using the profits earned from one collab to jump up the collab ladder in order to acquire some IP that is sure to return the brand to its glory days. i'm telling you this big bang theory collab i pitched earlier is a sure-fire winner!

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »
I mean it's a funny show and has what seems to be a pretty big following, but I don't see Bob's Burgers merch all the time. Are non-skater types really gonna buy a BB board/shirt? Star Wars, DBZ, Rick and Morty, Simpsons, and collabs like that seem to have a target audience. This doesn't seem to have the same draw.

What the fuck do I know I haven't bought Habitat anything since Wenning was on.

Leaky McBurnside

• Rep: 10
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 03:08:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'd love to see some of you guys school pictures along the way. I'm sure your parents wanted to give up on you many times along the way based on your "phases". Hot Topic collabs with emo hair and white belts.

[close]

i like your nurturing approach, but i'm wondering, for how long did you hold on to hope that world industries would eventually make it through its wet willy/flame boy phase?

i'm willing to overlook this phase from habitat just as i would if i were to have a child that wore an insane clown posse shirt, but if habitat starts going on a primitive-esque run of collabs, just as if that kid were to start rocking juggalo face paint, i may have to cut all ties.
[close]

Gnar'd. This is the type of stuff that unfortunately in this day and age, is necessary for some companies to pay the bills. I don't like it, but I also want Habitat to be around. This company means a ton to me and has since day 1. Pals Art Hellman and SFB can back that fact. I am willing to overlook a certain level of this shit but I also agree with Heckler's post above...it sucks sometimes to see this stuff from a once mighty company, but if it keeps the lights on and is able to pay dudes like Silas and keep Joe working on great shit, so be it. Habitat is working on a video. If this Bob's Burgers collab helps underwrite them to get that video to us, fucking perfect.

Brennan Conroy gave this interview to Jenkem in 2014 right around the time Habitat rose from the ashes of the Pac Vector debacle. But it's a timely read even now.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/07/08/habitat-skateboards-is-still-alive/

It sheds some light into why companies have to do collabs like this. At the time of this interview he mentions that everyone gave Joe Castucci shit for doing the cork longboards, but those cork longboards subsidized some other rad shit they were doing.
[close]

For comparison, AWS has been in a similar compromising position for much of Habitat's recent tenure, and they still managed to drop a promo and a few web parts.

Lets not forget that the Twin Peaks loot helped get Habitat out of Official and back to OHIO. We shall see if the Bob's burgers fans are as passionate as the Twin Peaks and the Charley Harper fans. The fact that Castrucci has been able to hold the core nucleus of the Habitat team together is miracle in itself.

Juggalo420BlazeIt

• Rep: -10
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man don’t throw shade on juggalos fool.  We roll deep.  This thing isn’t just some phase for us, it’s a lifestyle.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »
Joe is in charge of Alien again.