Author Topic: MINDING THE GAP - HULU DOCUMENTARY FILM 8/17  (Read 1186 times)

E

• Rep: -1
MINDING THE GAP - HULU DOCUMENTARY FILM 8/17
« on: August 02, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »
Just found this on the AV Club:

Skate videos sit at a weird intersection of music video, documentary, and sketch comedy, with a scrappy energy that can lead to some truly beautiful shots, to say nothing of the tricks. Bing Liu’s Minding The Gap leans heavy into the medium’s documentary aspects, following the director’s own friends—generally drifting, pained young men—as they cycle through jobs, family problems, and therapeutic skating sessions throughout Rockford, Illinois. A close-up shot of a skateboard with the words “this device cures heartache” seems to be the thesis statement.
Will it be worth your time? Only if you’re interested in seeing someone unabashedly attempt to create a high-art skate video. (Reviews from Sundance, to be fair, were very positive.)

Dong Juan

• Rep: -8
Re: MINDING THE GAP - HULU DOCUMENTARY FILM 8/17
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »
Looking forward to it.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 384
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
this actually sounds like a quality skateboard movie. sorry, jonah.

JB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 627
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »
Will it be worth your time? Only if you’re interested in seeing someone unabashedly attempt to create a high-art skate video.

gonna pass on this one. i already committed to watching the new supreme video when that comes out. i aint doing two high-art videos in one year.

Statebird

• Rep: 11
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »
bing (the director) rips and is a solid dude, this has been in the works for a long time, excited to finally see

fulloffact

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
10 minutes in and I gotta say, I never knew margaritas were considered gay.

AsianVegan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 05:22:44 AM »
Really want to see this, heard good things. Anyway to stream in outside the US? Cinema release is very select.

E

• Rep: -1
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »
Watched on Hulu over the weekend and thought it was really well done. Needed more skating though.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
I liked it a lot and he shot the skating that was specifically for it with some cool angles that were both palatable for mainstream and skate with out the ty Evans effect. It’s not really a skate movie though more of a coming of age/ domestic violence thing. Also Chicago skaters all dress like it’s 2010 still from the looks of it and I thought that was neat. Nice watch on a hungover Sunday.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
It's a good watch,the beginning intro stuff had me nostalgic on my little skate crew. Zach(I think) with the kid was a bummer for the most part. It wasn't too artsy,just a typical documentary edit too.