Author Topic: Zion, Tony Hawk, and Nyjah in Ballers Trailer  (Read 4693 times)

homegrown83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -83
Zion, Tony Hawk, and Nyjah in Ballers Trailer
« on: August 04, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
https://youtu.be/wU3NMkEp-FU

Thought this was interesting.

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: Zion, Tony Hawk, and Nyjah in Ballers Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »
i have no fucking idea what that show is about

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »
With the Rock, and Marky Mark directing, no one cares what it's about. They'll consume, consume, consume.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
It's Entourage but with sports and somehow even more cocaine. 4 bros x bros
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »
Watched the two most recent episodes last night. Yeesh it is definitely very bro and about as by the numbers as you can get. The plot is they buy a new agency called Sports X that represents action sports. The next episode is about how the guy (Russell Brand) who runs the agency has spent over a million dollars making a skate video. While he sits on his ass in a fucking director's chair. They filmed those scenes at the Venice park.

I will probably watch it as I have no gigs right now and free HBO.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »
terrible

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 01:53:41 AM »
Watched the two most recent episodes last night. Yeesh it is definitely very bro and about as by the numbers as you can get. The plot is they buy a new agency called Sports X that represents action sports. The next episode is about how the guy (Russell Brand) who runs the agency has spent over a million dollars making a skate video. While he sits on his ass in a fucking director's chair. They filmed those scenes at the Venice park.

So, Russell Brand is playing a Richie Jackson Ty Evans hybrid??

This show was dumb, but I tolerated it somewhat bc it’s on when a lot of other TV isn’t and Denzel’s son is charismatic as fuck, but ending last season with the Rock saving the Raiders from moving from Oakland to this season trying cash in on extreme sports athletes as if anyone outside of Tony Hawk makes better money than the league minimum in any other professional sport...

It just annoys me the lack of effort to research skateboarding at all.  The photos of skating on the Skate Kitchen poster were awful and the teaser blurb for Minding the Gap made some dumb quip about whether growing up is as hard as landing a 180 kickflip. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 01:54:45 AM »
And whoever came up with that line about the palm trees being thirstier is still jacking himself off he’s that pleased with himself

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 02:10:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This show was dumb, but I tolerated it somewhat bc it’s on when a lot of other TV isn’t and Denzel’s son is charismatic as fuck, but ending last season with the Rock saving the Raiders from moving from Oakland to this season trying cash in on extreme sports athletes as if anyone outside of Tony Hawk makes better money than the league minimum in any other professional sport...

It just annoys me the lack of effort to research skateboarding at all.  The photos of skating on the Skate Kitchen poster were awful and the teaser blurb for Minding the Gap made some dumb quip about whether growing up is as hard as landing a 180 kickflip.
Money agent's make in sports is a bit complicated. Agent's commission on pro-sports salary is regulated by the players union. Where the huge money commissions come in is in endorsements which is less regulated. So, in theory if an extreme sport athlete got a national television commercial the agent could make 20% or so on that (although they would be making the same or close to on any other athlete doing it).

I have no idea what these guys who represents skaters are charging. I would think 15% to 20% on endorsement deals would be on the extreme side. Although, I could see agents only getting involved on the major deals.

I've thought I heard some of the surfers make some pretty big cash. Obviously, the only skateboarders who have significant national name recognition are Tony Hawk and Bam (which is primarily caused by jack ass). Well, and Jason Lee which has almsot nothing to do with skating.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 02:41:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Money agent's make in sports is a bit complicated. Agent's commission on pro-sports salary is regulated by the players union. Where the huge money commissions come in is in endorsements which is less regulated. So, in theory if an extreme sport athlete got a national television commercial the agent could make 20% or so on that (although they would be making the same or close to on any other athlete doing it).

I have no idea what these guys who represents skaters are charging. I would think 15% to 20% on endorsement deals would be on the extreme side. Although, I could see agents only getting involved on the major deals.

I've thought I heard some of the surfers make some pretty big cash. Obviously, the only skateboarders who have significant national name recognition are Tony Hawk and Bam (which is primarily caused by jack ass). Well, and Jason Lee which has almsot nothing to do with skating.

Good point, but my issue is (maybe their roles on the show have changed) the Rock isn’t even playing an agent.  He’s just a money manager. 

I haven’t watched the new season so I can confirm this theory, but I would guess their last season pissed off the NFL and they have to focus on extreme sports because there’s no league management to contend with

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 03:37:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Good point, but my issue is (maybe their roles on the show have changed) the Rock isn’t even playing an agent.  He’s just a money manager. 

I haven’t watched the new season so I can confirm this theory, but I would guess their last season pissed off the NFL and they have to focus on extreme sports because there’s no league management to contend with
So far it mostly focuses on them just acquiring a new entity and that character's endorsement deal with Coca-Cola. Hasn't really touched on them pissing off the NFL. And you are right, they are managers not agents, but I think who they're working for that brings them into extreme sports is an agency.

Its not a great show, but its fine mindless entertainment.

Thinking about this, I really wonder how much guys like Ryan Clements is taking in commission and on what deals? I'd assume energy drinks and shoe deals, but is he getting a cut of Zion's Real Decks.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 04:02:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
So far it mostly focuses on them just acquiring a new entity and that character's endorsement deal with Coca-Cola. Hasn't really touched on them pissing off the NFL. And you are right, they are managers not agents, but I think who they're working for that brings them into extreme sports is an agency.

Its not a great show, but its fine mindless entertainment.

Thinking about this, I really wonder how much guys like Ryan Clements is taking in commission and on what deals? I'd assume energy drinks and shoe deals, but is he getting a cut of Zion's Real Decks.

Hah I forgot about them pissing off the NFL in the show.  I meant gettin the league mad at them in real life and them not being able to use logos, etc. but that’s doesn’t sound like it’s the case.   

If anyone’s looking for a good, under the radar show recommendation, check out Get Shorty on Epix.  It’s adapts the story the way tv Fargo did to movie Fargo. 

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 04:13:46 AM »
Sounds about right to have these people represent us...

soul kitchen vs. ballers

grind vs street dreams

culture vs money

art vs athleticism

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 07:06:39 AM »
Imagine if the rock showed as that character to negotiate with Jim Thiebaud.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
It's funny that you can tell how bad of an actor Nyjah is from a 0.5 second clip.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 07:51:19 AM »
It's funny that you can tell how bad of an actor Nyjah is from a 0.5 second clip.
His dad Joe Jackson'd him into a skateboarder, not an actor. His dad only made him sleep in the chimney if he bailed a kickflip, not if he didn't emote a scene properly.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
P rod is fuming he didn't get a call for this... All that money spent on acting lessons for nine cast credits on imdb...

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »
They were pimping up Illegal Civ tonight, it was pretty cringe worthy.