Author Topic: Australia this september  (Read 6166 times)

nopes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
Australia this september
« on: August 05, 2018, 05:33:55 PM »
I am coming to australia next month. specifically ill be in the gold coast, sydney, and melbourne for about 2 weeks.

i was in sydney, melbourne, and canberra last year so i have a little bit of knowledge on getting around but im always looking for recommendations on  shops to check out and any DIY spot info. i mainly skate parks these days. last year i went to bondi, belconnen, fitzroy, and a bunch of random parks on the coast driving from sydney to melbourne.

so any general advice and recs are welcome.

also, if any pals want stuff from the states let me know and lets see if we can work out some bartering for local brands or something like that.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
Re: Australia this september
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:12:05 AM »
Are you more into skating transition or ledges? So many new parks around Melbourne. The best parks are a little bit out of the city but not too far.

Public has closed down unfortunately. Go speak to Pete at Goliath in Brunswick the dude has been working in the Australian skate industry for about 30 years and I think knows every park/shop in Aus.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 03:10:08 AM »
Are you more into skating transition or ledges? So many new parks around Melbourne. The best parks are a little bit out of the city but not too far.

Public has closed down unfortunately. Go speak to Pete at Goliath in Brunswick the dude has been working in the Australian skate industry for about 30 years and I think knows every park/shop in Aus.

thats a bummer, they had the sickest shop team (Calluym Paul, Jack Kirk, Bryce Golder to name a few), wonder if those dudes will go back to fast times?

Hemleys is a rad shop too, on brunswick street Fitzroy. don't get tricked into going into Zumiez (Fast Times) even though it is a sick shop and will have everything you need!

Prahran is a rad skatepark, its got a gnarly vert, and a perfect mini and street course!
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 03:12:26 AM »
shame, public was nice, owner seemed friendly. showed me where to get closest beer from melbourne museum

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:55:31 AM »

im a fat old guy so transition is best but im always down for low ledges and manny pads.

i forgot to mention id really like info on local brands that are going to be hard to get back home in the states. im thinking more like hoddle and less like butter and passport since i can get those here.

Snacks

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

im a fat old guy so transition is best but im always down for low ledges and manny pads.

i forgot to mention id really like info on local brands that are going to be hard to get back home in the states. im thinking more like hoddle and less like butter and passport since i can get those here.
Definitely try to pick up something from Private Joy in Melbourne

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 12:52:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

http://www.skateboard.com.au/v2/index.cfm?&action=search&new=1&glocal=Melbourne

Check this out for parks around Melbourne. Also Bluestone and Preston are pretty decent D.I.Y. spots. For brands, Daylight is hot shit (technically out of NZ) but also Diane, Office Hours, UNO, Come Sundown, and 4 are all local companies I doubt you can get in the US. 

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 03:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

http://www.skateboard.com.au/v2/index.cfm?&action=search&new=1&glocal=Melbourne

Check this out for parks around Melbourne. Also Bluestone and Preston are pretty decent D.I.Y. spots. For brands, Daylight is hot shit (technically out of NZ) but also Diane, Office Hours, UNO, Come Sundown, and 4 are all local companies I doubt you can get in the US.

you should try check out the uno DIY in preston? st georges road? its funnest thing DIY to skate, if its still there, i got to skate it about 3 years ago while i was in melbourne

never got to skate bluestone but that looks amazing too!
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 05:48:20 AM »
Bluestone is back up and running - not quite back to the glory days - but it's so fun still.
The new Sunshine park looks fucking fun too.   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 05:54:48 AM by AsianVegan »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
Try and find some Time boards while you're out here. Arguably one of the best brands/ teams to come out of Australia back in the day (with graphics by Wade to boot). Recently doing sort of a reboot/ reissue so do check them out:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmK6ABMFoOH/?hl=en&taken-by=timeskateboards
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:54:31 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thats a bummer, they had the sickest shop team (Calluym Paul, Jack Kirk, Bryce Golder to name a few), wonder if those dudes will go back to fast times?

Hemleys is a rad shop too, on brunswick street Fitzroy. don't get tricked into going into Zumiez (Fast Times) even though it is a sick shop and will have everything you need!

Prahran is a rad skatepark, its got a gnarly vert, and a perfect mini and street course!

haha, i totally spent a bunch of money at fasttimes last year! i also went to hemleys and i think public

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 11:57:33 PM »
Www.skateboard.com.au is a good guide to skateparks in Australia

Riverside skatepark in the centre of Melbourne's city is a good spot if you're looking to meet up with other people. The State Library (think Passport vids) and Prahran skatepark have decent scenes too. There's endless (literally hundreds) skateparks in Melbourne lookup what tickles your fancy.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 05:05:18 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I started looking at that site and I had no idea how much stuff is in the Gold Coast.

I also can’t wait to skate that bowl at the burrito place in Melbourne.

Seriously, if anyone wants something from the states please let me know.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 09:43:39 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I started looking at that site and I had no idea how much stuff is in the Gold Coast.

I heard they filled it in? i could be wrong though

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I heard they filled it in? i could be wrong though

actually i think the whole place is closed

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

JoelyRighteous

• Rep: 6
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 07:45:17 PM »
Definitely check out Sydenham Green park when you’re in Sydney. It’s got lights til 11pm so good for an evening sesh.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »
can anyone recommend music venues / listings for sydney and melbourne? mainly interested in indie and punk.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »
can anyone recommend music venues / listings for sydney and melbourne? mainly interested in indie and punk.

Marrickville bowlo has legit punk shows, circles, people throwing elbows and whatnot. If you plan on swinging past Sydenham dm me, the bowl is super fun.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 01:24:20 AM »

Depends what style of music and the size of gigs you're after? There are shows on just about every night.

In Melbourne

Small: The Tote, Bendigo Hotel, Gasometer, John Curtain Hotel, Old Bar. All these joints are around the Fitzroy, Collingwood, Carlton inner city areas.

Bigger: Festival Hall, Margaret Court Arena, Croxton Hotel, the Corner Hotel, Palais

As far as listings, there's two local streetpress papers Beat and Impress. Not sure if they have websites. Maybe check their social media pages.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 04:35:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends what style of music and the size of gigs you're after? There are shows on just about every night.

In Melbourne

Small: The Tote, Bendigo Hotel, Gasometer, John Curtain Hotel, Old Bar All these joints are around the Fitzroy, Collingwood, Carlton inner city areas.

Bigger: Festival Hall, Margaret Court Arena, Croxton Hotel, the Corner Hotel, Palais

As far as listings, there's two local streetpress papers Beat and Impress. Not sure if they have websites. Maybe check their social media pages.

Definitely go to Cherry Bar if you're on a night out, its night near Flinders Street station (gold Rails DD destroyed) two of the nicest scariest bouncers, ones some older punk dude with face tattoos and the other is an overweight Lemmy, Fri/Sat nights are rock n roll, thursday is funk/soul, great times

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »
just poking around music sites and i think im at least going to try and see hockey dad my first night in sydney and then the clowns on my last night.

thanks everyone

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 01:18:33 AM »
just poking around music sites and i think im at least going to try and see hockey dad my first night in sydney and then the clowns on my last night.

thanks everyone

clowns are rad!

hopefully for your sake ORB or Amyl and the sniffers (or anyone out of flightless records) play a show while you're out there

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »
whats up with portside? can you just show up and skate it or do you need to be with someone?

leaving tomorrow and getting stoked.

5teve.0h

• Rep: 24
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
whats up with portside? can you just show up and skate it or do you need to be with someone?

leaving tomorrow and getting stoked.

The DIY at Portside is pretty chilled, you can show up on your own it'll be fine.
Might just have to weave through some scooter kids.

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 01:54:16 AM »
pm'd

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »
Word. Thanks guys. I missed my connection yesterday so I’m only getting to Sydney today and leave for the Gold Coast on Wednesday.

Gonna hit bondi today and Sydenham tonight.

Mona vale tomorrow

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »
Trecked out to manly vale today only to find it being painted by the park service!

JoelyRighteous

• Rep: 6
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 07:14:50 PM »

Landsdowne Hotel and Bald Faced Stag are both great live venues too.

5teve.0h

• Rep: 24
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 10:42:24 PM »
Trecked out to manly vale today only to find it being painted by the park service!

Mona Vale would have been the park to check out rather than Manly Vale, worth the trip if you are still in the area. Mona Vale has lights till about 10pm

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »
Mona vale was too difficult to get to in my short time. I wanted to skate the pool at manly vale.