Author Topic: Age old debate... is it a nosegrind, or overcrook?  (Read 27879 times)

winecrab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Age old debate... is it a nosegrind, or overcrook?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »
You're right, It's not as tweaked as I remember.  But at the time people were calling that a salad. What would you call Matt Allen's ender? Do you think bs 5-0's, bs salad, and bs suski's are the same trick? Because by that logic, there's no such thing as crooked grinds. They're just tweaked nosegrinds.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:32:34 PM by winecrab »

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if its backside, its a MayGERSH grind
[close]

Fuck. Beat me to it. Gersh grind forever.
[close]
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

Dermbot

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2018, 03:34:08 PM »
You're right, It's not as tweaked as I remember.  But at the time people were calling that a salad. What would you call Matt Allen's ender?

There are salad grinds just like there are crooked grinds. He salad'd the shit out of it. (matt Allen) Gravette didnt do a salad grind. at all. it was 100% backside 5-0. Dane wasted all that time in his zero part for a Gravette ABD. How embarrassing...

Imagine if some video game called a lipslide an overboard. Thats what overcrook sounds like to us who have some sense.

Overcrook again is just a THPS term. Doesnt mean its right. It actually means you are wrong.

Nosegrind.

winecrab

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 03:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote
You're right, It's not as tweaked as I remember.  But at the time people were calling that a salad. What would you call Matt Allen's ender?
[close]

There are salad grinds just like there are crooked grinds. He salad'd the shit out of it. (matt Allen) Gravette didnt do a salad grind. at all. it was 100% backside 5-0. Dane wasted all that time in his zero part for a Gravette ABD. How embarrassing...

Imagine if some video game called a lipslide an overboard. Thats what overcrook sounds like to us who have some sense.

Overcrook again is just a THPS term. Doesnt mean its right. It actually means you are wrong.

Nosegrind.

How am I wrong? I never said it was called an overcook. I said I call them nosegrinds. Fs or bs. I just said that to me they're different tricks. I approach the rail/set up my feet differently.

Dermbot

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Nosegrind.
[close]

How am I wrong? I never said it was called an overcook. I said I call them nosegrinds. Fs or bs. I just said that to me they're different tricks. I approach the rail/set up my feet differently.

I didnt mean YOU are wrong. I meant ONE is wrong if they got their trick vocabulary from THPS instead of actual skate terms.

You good my GG

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 05:14:57 PM »
Expand Quote
apply the suski/5-0/salad logic
[close]

N/A

Nobody would ever accept a FS Suski. It would just be called a 5-0.

Its a nosegrind. It was always nosegrind. The term "overcrook" came out in THPS 1. But it was only nosegrind every day of life until the game dropped.

Frontside and backside

THPS didn't have overcrook, it just had nosegrind and crooked grind. You're thinking of THPS 2.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -40
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 05:24:10 PM »
FS overcrook doesnt exist. Its a FS nosegrind. BS nosegrinds dont exist (on rails). Its only BS overcrook and FS nosegrind (rails)

Logically, this literally does not make sense.

It's either one or the other. Either everything is a nosegrind and overcrooks dont exist, or overcrooks exist frontside and backside.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if its backside, its a MayGERSH grind
[close]

Fuck. Beat me to it. Gersh grind forever.
[close]
[close]

but...Gersh called them May grinds  :-[
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

himlor

• Rep: 18
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2018, 05:52:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I always thought calling it a nosegrind on a handrail felt weird. Yes I grew up on THPS and started around the time it came out. I always thought of nosegrind as balancing and can only think of one instance of that taking place down a handrail (21:34 here)

When I see skaters getting a "pinch" in it is more like an overcrook to me. For as much time as Malto spends on his front truck he rarely balances it. The opposite of this being Wenning or even CRob who absolutley know that a nosegrind is balanced.
[close]

Gersh Grind is real term for "bs over crook" and regular crooks are pointer grinds.

This is a nosegrind.
https://youtu.be/-zxzBqvdjrg

damn that is a straight nosegrind on a round bar. crazy. 
in the edit he says you should learn nose manuals then it shows him nosegrinding..

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2018, 08:06:08 PM »
if anyone can post a balanced nosegrind on a round rail i would consider calling it a overcrook

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »
Id call it an undercrook.....

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
FS overcrook doesnt exist. Its a FS nosegrind. BS nosegrinds dont exist (on rails). Its only BS overcrook and FS nosegrind (rails)

Just have to respectfully disagree mang. Backside nosegrinds on rails exist for sure. If it's balanced and not a crooked grind and not an overcrooks, it's a nosegrind.

But that's just backside. There's no such thing as a frontside overcrook, just like there's no such thing as a frontside indy.

You can't "overcrook" if you're approaching a rail or anything else frontside. If you're not doing a frontside crooks, you're doing a frontside nosegrind.

Now, ollie over to f/s crook is another term for b/s overcrook. It's the same thing. But I think that's stupid. It's like calling a b/s noseblunt slide an "ollie over to f/s noseslide." That, by the way, is what Darkstar did once in a Paul Trep ad. He did a nollie b/s noseblunt on a rail and they claimed it was a nollie over to f/s nose, which I thought was pretty fucking absurd. Even if it's not buried like a nosebunt, and the board's flat, don't complicate issues.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2018, 09:31:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

www.youtu.be/hb0ttzlc2N4

3:07

I've done straight fs and bs nosegrinds down rails before. Now I pinch/tweak them like an "overcrook". Same with 5-0's and salad grinds. I approach the rail like I do with fs blunts. I still call them nosegrinds though (fs or bs) even though to me, they're different tricks. David gravette's bs salad down el toro is different than Dane burman bs 5-0.
[close]

https://youtu.be/DlxiMf0c-MY

Gravette clearly does a 5-0.
I had no idea that Gravette bs 5-0'd El Toro, what video is this from??
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Nate.Dog

• Rep: -9
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 09:35:01 PM »
Look at Mark Suciu's instagram, specifically the two saved posts under his bio. There you will find the answers you seek.

winecrab

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2018, 12:38:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

www.youtu.be/hb0ttzlc2N4

3:07

I've done straight fs and bs nosegrinds down rails before. Now I pinch/tweak them like an "overcrook". Same with 5-0's and salad grinds. I approach the rail like I do with fs blunts. I still call them nosegrinds though (fs or bs) even though to me, they're different tricks. David gravette's bs salad down el toro is different than Dane burman bs 5-0.
[close]

https://youtu.be/DlxiMf0c-MY

Gravette clearly does a 5-0.
[close]
I had no idea that Gravette bs 5-0'd El Toro, what video is this from??

His first creature part in Born Dead.

Issy

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
Backside nosegrinds on rails exist for sure. If it's balanced and not a crooked grind and not an overcrooks, it's a nosegrind.

But that's just backside. There's no such thing as a frontside overcrook, just like there's no such thing as a frontside indy.

You can't "overcrook" if you're approaching a rail or anything else frontside. If you're not doing a frontside crooks, you're doing a frontside nosegrind.

Now, ollie over to f/s crook is another term for b/s overcrook. It's the same thing. But I think that's stupid. It's like calling a b/s noseblunt slide an "ollie over to f/s noseslide." That, by the way, is what Darkstar did once in a Paul Trep ad. He did a nollie b/s noseblunt on a rail and they claimed it was a nollie over to f/s nose, which I thought was pretty absurd. Even if it's not buried like a nosebunt, and the board's flat, don't complicate issues.

The Dope

• Rep: -6
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2018, 01:01:28 PM »
if you can pop over backside and pinch a rail like you're doing a front crook that is 100% different than a nose grind and disrespectful as fuck to the people who can do it properly. If you're doing a nose grind 180 on a ledge for 00000.2seconds then that's a nose grind..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onYax3p7A3o

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »
Over crooks but what do I know , I'm just a brain surgeon.

wu tang joe

• Rep: -1
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
If its more difficult its a new trick. Thus overcrooks on rails only work backside. Opposite for salads Suski grind or bs salad is a missed bs tail.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2018, 10:52:25 PM »
In sum, if you think a FS Overcrook is a FS Nosegrind, you're a fucking Flat Earther.

ForMeIt’sCrazyLike

• Rep: 2
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 09:14:02 AM »
It’s like what is the line between a big hill and a little mountain?

Shades of gray my negros.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »
if you can pop over backside and pinch a rail like you're doing a front crook that is 100% different than a nose grind and disrespectful as fuck to the people who can do it properly. If you're doing a nose grind 180 on a ledge for 00000.2seconds then that's a nose grind..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onYax3p7A3o
if he does the opposite and approaches fs and pinches a crook on the other side is that not a fs overcrook? If a reg footer ollied over and crooked the outside edge of Clipper that would just be a nosegrind?

Dermbot

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/Birsp9wnAHn/?taken-by=cjcollinsskate

Notice how his whole tail is hanging off the rail. His nose points more than 30 degrees to his left shoulder. You would never call this a front Suski. Ever. Its just a 5-0. same deal with nose grinds to overcrook. its just a 5-0 as it would just be a nosegrind. Crook is to salad as 5-0 is to nose grind. everything else was made up just for a video game. didnt apply to actual trick vocabulary.

A bs air is just a Bs air. its not a bs nosegrab with extra tweak points. its just a bs air. if you boardslide crooked, or do a 50-50 staggered or on your heels or if you are some sick lunatic, on your toes, its still just a 50-50.

Nosegrind. Frontside and backside.

Overcrook is the same as calling smiths "over feebles" just because some video game said so.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
That's a suski, cuz

If he dropped his nose he'd be in a smith. If you drop your nose on a 5-0, you're in a 50-50. These tricks aren't anything new.

Dermbot

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
That's a suski, cuz

If he dropped his nose he'd be in a smith. If you drop your nose on a 5-0, you're in a 50-50. These tricks aren't anything new.

Its a 5-0 my G.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »
That's a suski, cuz

That is most certainly a 5-0.  And smith means rail on

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 02:36:11 PM »
That's a suski, cuz

Wrongo.
Your first post as a slappal is an incorrect one, sir.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2018, 06:43:53 PM »
It's an uncomfortable truth for CJ, but if a suski grind is a real thing (and it certainly is), i can't see how that isn't one.. a 5-0 is balanced and straight. that's offset like 30* 

fuck me for wasting pal status on a god damn suski grind post

chirs

• Rep: 1
  • i have diarrhea every single day
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2018, 07:03:12 PM »
you guys havent noticed that theres no logic in the way 90% of skateboarding tricks are named? theres no such thing as a fs overcrook. it doesnt make sense, just accept it

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
Nosegrind = no pinch and no portion of the deck's nose touching (think nose manual while grinding); at least that's how it should be.

A straight on grind on the front truck, no pinch and with the nose touching is nothing other than sloppy (same goes for those tail/heel drag 5-0s).