Author Topic: Wheels "tighten" after a couple minutes of riding.  (Read 1801 times)

theOrangeYak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Wheels "tighten" after a couple minutes of riding.
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a rather new skater, I got my first board about a year ago but only used it for minimal transportation around campus for a few months, learned to (kind of) stationary ollie on it, and then i put it down for a while.  Now that I'm using it again, I'm encountering the same problem i did when I first bought the board.  When I feel the wheels, they move back and forth on the trucks (as my local skate shop told me was normal?)  however when I ride on it, after a minute or two the wheels tighten and stop moving back and forth.  If I pick the board up and spin the wheels that have tightened they slow down withing 20 seconds, while the loose ones continue spinning.  If i hit the outside of the wheel, they free up and move back and forth like normal.  My skate shop told me that the nuts are just too tight, however I've loosened them to be flush with the outside of the axle, or even a bit beyond it.  I've googled and searched for this issue and came up dry so I've turned to all of you!  Thanks a lot for any help.  I apologize for the length of this and also for any jargon or lingo that I may have messed up. Cheers.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
Re: Wheels "tighten" after a couple minutes of riding.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 06:23:44 AM »
What kind of trucks do you have?  It sounds like axle slip.  To verify it's axle slip, try this,  The next time it happens, bang the opposite wheel against the pavement and see if the stuck wheel starts spinning again.  For example, if your front left wheel is sticking, hit the front right one against the pavement (just tap the ground firmly like you're trying to use your board like a hammer to drive a nail into the pavement).  If the stuck wheel starts spinning again then your axle is slipping and you need new trucks.  Don't buy crappy trucks this time!
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »
What kind of trucks do you have?  It sounds like axle slip.  To verify it's axle slip, try this,  The next time it happens, bang the opposite wheel against the pavement and see if the stuck wheel starts spinning again.  For example, if your front left wheel is sticking, hit the front right one against the pavement (just tap the ground firmly like you're trying to use your board like a hammer to drive a nail into the pavement).  If the stuck wheel starts spinning again then your axle is slipping and you need new trucks.  Don't buy crappy trucks this time!
next time this happens, find a broomstick and put it up your fucking ass.
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »

That, or your bearings might be slipping out of your wheel cores. I had a bad set of tiny wheels that constantly pushed the bearings out. So I had to push them back all of the time.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »
bearing spacers can cure axle slip for cheap, idiots !
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:36:30 AM by the snake »

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 01:24:29 PM »
Weird my wheels nuts always loosen after a few sessions, most notably after setting up new trucks/wheels

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 11:54:27 PM »
If you aren't doing flip tricks, the axles shouldn't slip regardless. Your wheels should have only slightest, if any, side to side play. You generally want to to tighten the axle nuts until it barely slows the wheel down, then back it off a bit. Once you remove axle nuts, they need to be replaced since the nylock wears out.

What kind of setup do you have?