Author Topic: Where Should I Move  (Read 2447 times)

Spaghetti Croc69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Where Should I Move
« on: August 09, 2018, 10:07:03 AM »
W'sup? Ill be graduating in Dec with an electrical engineering degree and need to get the fuck out of Wyoming.

Primary things Im looking for include:
- To get away from the wind
- Very mild or no winter at all
- Cheap living
- A good skate scene
- Mountains close by

So far Im kinda leaning towards Albuquerque. Living is fairly cheap, theres spots and a scene, the weather is decent year round, and mountains are close. Ive also thought about San Diego (expensive), Phoenix (cheap but hawttt), Denver (Kinda love hate. close to family, solid fucking scene but expensive and littered with wooks lmao) and NYC because skateboarding in NYC is the fucking best.

Just looking for opinions and suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Where Should I Move
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »

jomeara1

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:21:24 AM »
If you’re looking for a place with a mild winter or no winter at all I would not go to NYC. Sounds like Cali might be up your alley, but I’m not that familiar with the west coast.

Just don’t ever move to NJ. Too expensive.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
Oregon or Wash
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Pigeon

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »
Go wherever you get a job. It might not be the place you want to settle, but it will push you in the right direction. You’ll gain a bit of experience and be able to afford living in a good city. The Bay and Detroit are going to be your best options for your job market. Just remember that if you live outside SF, you’re probably going to spend a lot of time, and whatever money you think you’re saving, on commuting. Good luck and start applying for shit on LinkedIn.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 05:22:42 PM »
mmove in with me i have a bob marley poster and let guests smoke cigarettes in the house even tho i dont smoke myself and dislike the odor

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »
Go wherever you get a job. It might not be the place you want to settle, but it will push you in the right direction. You’ll gain a bit of experience and be able to afford living in a good city. The Bay and Detroit are going to be your best options for your job market. Just remember that if you live outside SF, you’re probably going to spend a lot of time, and whatever money you think you’re saving, on commuting. Good luck and start applying for shit on LinkedIn.

Winter lasts like five months in Detroit

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 06:11:52 PM »
Start applying for jobs now and go wherever you can get hired. I got my mechanical engineering degree in May and immediately moved to California and I’ve been unemployed since. I had previous relevant work experience too since I’m old. EE’s may have it easier, but finding your first job after graduating is tough and even tougher if you limit yourself geographically. Good luck.

Spaghetti Croc69

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
Start applying for jobs now and go wherever you can get hired. I got my mechanical engineering degree in May and immediately moved to California and I’ve been unemployed since. I had previous relevant work experience too since I’m old. EE’s may have it easier, but finding your first job after graduating is tough and even tougher if you limit yourself geographically. Good luck.

I think EE's do have it a little easier because theres just not as many of us. I definitely wont be moving anywhere prior to finding employment. I can find work here but its not the area I want to work in. Plus Im not comfortable with taking a shot in the dark before I pay off my loans (not substantial but still).

Spaghetti Croc69

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:03:55 AM »
If you’re looking for a place with a mild winter or no winter at all I would not go to NYC. Sounds like Cali might be up your alley, but I’m not that familiar with the west coast.

Ive lived in NYC before so I know how cold it can be. Its worse here just because its always so fucking windy. And NYC skating is fun enough that I would deal with a winter lol

shit_for_brains

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 09:12:37 AM »
New York definitely ticks all your boxes. There's almost zero wind funneled down those streets concentrated into blasts, you barely notice that it's winter at all, it's so cheap they basically pay you to live there, there are more than four people who treat skate as something other than a way to kill time before the bars open, and it rest right at the foothills of the New Jersey Turnpike Mountain Range. I don't know why we all don't move to that affordable tropical mountain paradise.

BISCUITS AND GRAVY

• Rep: -22
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 09:23:41 AM »
Sacramento. Mild winters. 2 hours to SF, 2 hours to Tahoe. Cheaper than the Bay Area. Lots of government work.

It's hot as fuck during the summer and the air quality is terrible, but this could be your unicorn city.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »
Having just moved back east from the front range of Colorado, I miss it so much. Definitely not as windy as Wyoming. So many parks everywhere too, if you skate parks at all. Taos is amazing, I always wanted to move to NM too. Build an of grid Earth ship so when the aliens do come back they see I'm enlightened and deserve to be taken aboard the Mother ship.
Is the CO front range still considered the new silicon valley? With all the tech startups? Rent is crazy in Colorado though, unless you comute from the stench of Greely it put a fracking rig in your front yard so you can light your tap water on fire.
Damn I miss Colorado so badly.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 09:54:06 AM »
how has ATL not come up?
or Richmond VA which is actually probably better for what you want.
Shenandoah NP is a lot of AT thru hikers favorite segment.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:56:25 AM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

jomeara1

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ive lived in NYC before so I know how cold it can be. Its worse here just because its always so fucking windy. And NYC skating is fun enough that I would deal with a winter lol

Yeah the wind fucking blows and I guess living in the city isn’t bad with that because of the high buildings etc. I just can’t stand shoveling snow anymore lol.  Being in NJ we get the extreme heat in the summers and then the extreme cold in the winters (of course some years are more mild than others). That’s why fall is my favorite time of the year.

Spaghetti Croc69

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 12:42:42 PM »
Having just moved back east from the front range of Colorado, I miss it so much. Definitely not as windy as Wyoming. So many parks everywhere too, if you skate parks at all. Taos is amazing, I always wanted to move to NM too. Build an of grid Earth ship so when the aliens do come back they see I'm enlightened and deserve to be taken aboard the Mother ship.
Is the CO front range still considered the new silicon valley? With all the tech startups? Rent is crazy in Colorado though, unless you comute from the stench of Greely it put a fracking rig in your front yard so you can light your tap water on fire.
Damn I miss Colorado so badly.

I kinda hate Colorado more and more every time I visit.. Expensive, traffic is fucked, wooks everywhere..

Spaghetti Croc69

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 01:26:15 PM »
how has ATL not come up?
or Richmond VA which is actually probably better for what you want.
Shenandoah NP is a lot of AT thru hikers favorite segment.

For some reason I thought Richmond would have worse winters. Good lookin out b

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 02:59:04 PM »
Are wooks like mooks?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »

I agree with this. Bay Area commute is doable even though it could suck depending on what kind of person you are. Salaries are good out here but cost of living obviously is high too. Still, it's definitely doable if you have discipline. I know a lot of young kids that live out here doing tech get paid six figures but blow it on rent in SF and other such things. I know you got to pay to play but you can live within means for sure if you aren't a total shit head. I love the "I am so poor cause after rent and a trip to Spain as well as Cochella and dinner every night at restaurant, I hardly have any money left over to save". 

At least the weather is solid out here. Not too hot and not too cold and hardly that much rain.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
  From where your at the two best options are Mexico or the west coast of canada.  Maybe you'd dig vancouver Island.   Mexico fucking rocks so thats the best option.  You can't go wrong in Mexico , the people are beyond accomodating in my experience  and uncrowded surf options in baja.  You'd get paid less but stuff's cheaper and the wild life expeirience would prolly be priceless.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 09:45:19 PM »
W'sup? Ill be graduating in Dec with an electrical engineering degree and need to get the fuck out of Wyoming.

- Cheap living
- A good skate scene
- Mountains close by

So far Im kinda leaning towards Albuquerque. Living is fairly cheap, theres spots and a scene, the weather is decent year round, and mountains are close. Ive also thought about San Diego (expensive), Phoenix (cheap but hawttt), Denver (Kinda love hate. close to family, solid fucking scene but expensive and littered with wooks lmao) and NYC because skateboarding in NYC is the fucking best.

These are obviously conflicting but NYC is the best place

I have many friends who move here for 2 years then leave tho whereas I would stay forever so idk
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:47:01 PM by VHS ERA »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »
Alright not forever, someday I’ll disappear to Utah or upstate or something but NYC is the best before you get old
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:03:08 PM by VHS ERA »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
Vancouver is the shit. In Canada youde have a career the day you got here
Gentleman ninja warlock

Spaghetti Croc69

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 09:10:30 AM »
Are wooks like mooks?

Na, a mook is just a dummy. Wooks are a special breed of festival creature.

Spaghetti Croc69

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 09:13:40 AM »
Expand Quote

- Cheap living
- A good skate scene
- Mountains close by

[close]

These are obviously conflicting but NYC is the best place

I have many friends who move here for 2 years then leave tho whereas I would stay forever so idk

Im definitely gonna apply for some stuff in NYC. Doesnt check very many of my boxes but there is no skateboarding like NYC skateboarding.