Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 109929 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« on: August 09, 2018, 11:32:45 AM »
We have had a ton of threads that are kind of a bummer lately, how about one that lists our awkward (but not bad) interactions with pros, ams, or industry people.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:29:11 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

shit_for_brains

Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
I used to talk to Willy Santos on AIM

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »
Tweaking with Hosoi
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 11:38:26 AM »
one time I went to the dew tour and there’s a lot of of Mountain Dew, I took a sip out of one and as soon as the fresh artificial dew hit the tip of my toungue , theotis Beasley taps my shoulder. I look back back star struck and he just says “nice drink, BALEEEEEDDD DAAAATTTTTT!!!!”

Best guy

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 11:48:49 AM »
Pat chanitta and Jeremy wray.

Awkward because I love those foods

But holy fuck did they rip
Gentleman ninja warlock

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
I met Brian Anderson recently and I was such an idiot I felt shame for a week. He was kind and gracious, and he signed my VHS copy of Modus Operandi, but I was such a dork he surely noticed before quickly forgetting ever meeting me. Even thinking about it now I turn red with embarrassment.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
Watching Sam Cunningham smoke weed after Savannah Slamma while Hosoi was making out with a fat ugly girl.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
My friend convinced Chris Haslam to draw a huge dick on his griptape once.

fs overkrook

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »
One time my brother and I walked into the bathroom at a bar and slash stared at my brothers dick for a few seconds then apologized.

The same night I was wearing a low card beanie and Collin provost starts screaming lowcard in my face and asked me what my name was. I told him and he was tripping out saying his brother had he same name. He started introducing my brother and I to his posse and you could tell they were all like “what the fuck who are these dudes??” And we took some shots of Jameson with him.

Another time some dude forced me into a game of skate with figgy. The whole game was awkward and he destroyed me. Then he asked to play another game no repeats and that one was fun.

Another time me and a homie went to cinco de slamo in sd and I walked out of a gas station and looked up and billy marks was just skating up to me GLARING the fuck out of me and didn’t look away. That dude is super weird.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
met reynolds once and he offered me a pair of foldable happy hour shades then proceeded to show me how they work with zero enthusiasm. super nice guy though, 10 outta 10 would meet again.

Cool Guy Zone KEEPOUT

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
I was working the winter camp at Woodward West and one of my first encounters with the visiting pros was Justin Brock eating potato chips of of the floor.

The footage isn't great but I recorded it, watch it here:

https://youtu.be/JEkfeXhLmPM

Also, one time Tom K came to Reno to skate, a buddy of mine was showing him around, I met up with them right as they were leaving and the only thing I said to Tom was "Hey, Did you realize that you have two ads for the same shoe in a single issue of thrasher?" and he said "yeah, I guess i'm only one who skate those shoes."
And then he left for sacramento.

I could tell it kinda threw him of, felt pretty awkward after that one.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »
Jerry Gurney was cool as fuck when I DM'd him for a quote for an article I was writing like a year ago.
Duffel took the time to shake mine and my friends hands our first time at 3rd and army. He was wearing dress boots and front boarding the end of ledges, showing Kadow and Krod the spot. Jake Johnson was there too.

Brockel gave me his board once at a c1rca demo.

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
my mom did dave duncan :(
Wish I was joking.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:36:45 PM by cynical cow »

Creed Bratton

• Rep: -32
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »
Sometime around 2010 when Fabian Alomar got out of prison he had his number on Facebook. I was like 14 and I prank called him saying I was this well known local skater from Sac about to go to LA for a bit and trying kick it with him. He acted like he knew who I was but you could tell he was kind of fried trying to remember someone from his past. He was super cool though, we made plans to link up and skate but it obviously didn’t happen.

Another time at the Janoski shoe release demo I was standing near the fence of the park and I look behind me and there’s Jake Phelps. I was like woah what’s up man and he was super cool too and we chatted for a minute. Later on I saw him in the parking lot and he told my grandpa I was a good kid and said to keep skating.
I’m 30

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
I met Ishod in April 2012 back when I first started skating and didn't know how to use the front camera on my phone.

I had missed my train at suburban and thought I'd wait it out at LOVE across the street. Walking into the park, I remember thinking, "damn, it'd be sick if Ishod were here," in that daydreaming sort of way. At that point, I had only seen his Since Day One part, so I thought he had moved out to SF. Next thing I know, I saw someone whip out a perfect switch (? memory is fuzzy here) tre, briefly catching a flash of a yellow REAL oval. I look up - it's fuckin Ishod. I watched him do lines for like 15 min before I talked to him and asked for a photo. He was super chill as I fumbled with my phone trying to use it backwards and gave me a parting high-five (which I missed, lol).

Favorite memory might be him threading the needle up the 3-stairs between tourists. It was really crowded that day and he ollied up one of the 3 stairs between a lady with a baby stroller and another dude with like inches to spare.

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 01:06:20 PM »
I met Heath, Jerry and Leo at a skateshop meet-and-greet in 2011.  I awkwardly stood next to them while Stay Gold played on a tv in the shop and Jerry and Leo talked about how much they hated filming for the video haha.  They were really cool, took pictures with me and my friends and they all signed my DVD copy of Stay Gold.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 01:15:07 PM »
Met Dylan at Black one night. He was talking to a girl and I rudely interrupted, shook his hand and left. Sorry Dylan, but I just had to.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »
My friend skated up to Lutzka right before Digital: Invasion dropped and told him how psyched he was on him
Greg didn't even look at him, dropped in on the quarter and walked out of our lives and into kswiss/toyota sponsorship
oh and eventually the lead role in 270 Degrees of Justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSbUeQeG4oY
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 01:29:18 PM by Jehoshaphat Augustus »
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
Chet Thomas stopped by the park in my crappy small town in 1990 or 1991. It was the first person from a skate video i had ever seen with my own eyes. I totally fanned out but i remember everyone else thought Powell was lame and cool guyed Chet.

Chet was very, very good at mini ramp skating, i don't understand the vibing

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »
i got a bucky autograph on a billabong poster at universal studios when i was 10

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 01:50:42 PM »
Saw Louie Barletta with a giant suitcase at 7:00AM Around Barcelona. I had to say hi, he was super cool.

Also Luan gave me a beer on SLS Barcelona, he was like "dude I have too many free tickets"

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
I see Lutzka most sundays at the pool, and every single interaction I have with him is super uncomfortable. Lots of conversations started with no end game in sight.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 01:53:13 PM »
I was visiting a friend in New Orleans about 10 years ago. First saw Tom Asta, Kerry Hart and someone else (maybe Karl Watson) leaving a hotel. Later that night on bourbon st ran into Brian Anferson and his dad at a dive bar.  We shared a beer and he was cool as fuck. I'm sure I was fanning hard.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »
Meeting Gino Iannucci in Calgary 2004 had me starstruck haha

canadian tm

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »
i got a bucky autograph on a billabong poster at universal studios when i was 10

jealous

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 02:30:29 PM »
After his pay-per-view Berrics part dropped, I attempted to give Shone O'Neill $3 in person. It seemed like a like a great idea to get a laugh, but ended up horribly awkward.

hmmmokay

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
Met Ed Templeton at an Emerica Demo in 2012, I was nervous to meet him and all I blurted out was "I really liked that video feature Leica did with you." and he gave me an awkward "thank you?" and that was that. Nice guy though.

Same demo, I took a candid photo of Trevor Colden and he used it as his Facebook photo for a while, not awkward but as a young photography student I was stoked.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »
Cardiel knocked me over sliding underneath a railing to get to where all the pros were standing at the "back to the burg" contest at wallenberg, he apologized and was super nice.

I was wearing a Slayer shirt at Potrero one night and Phelps had to talk to me about it, he was high out of his mind.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

jealous
also got kevin jones and andy irons signatures on the poster they all ripping. i might have it at my dads somewhere
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:26:50 PM by Bumpovertrash »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »
I went to a DC demo in like 2004/2005, and Darrell Stanton took a long look at my sweaty shirt and said "no wonder you smell!", and then proceeded to do a head high frontside flip on the quarter. It was maybe a year ago when I found out that he was tripping on copious amounts of mushrooms at that demo and it gave me some much needed closure.

In 2008 I won an Osiris box from Corey Duffel. He was doing a radio interview and I won. They called me and I had a bad connection so they thought I was bummed. I later explained myself to them on MySpace and it was less awkward.

At the grand opening of my local park there was supposed to be a demo there, but I had to work so I only stopped by briefly. As I was leaving a slow mini-cooper was approaching me and then turns into the lot, no turn signal. I kinda gave a "wtf" motion at him and when we locked eyes I realized it was Tony Hawk.

This is my shame and my shame alone, but there exists a photo of Jereme Rogers putting his arm around a long haired me wearing a fedora. Every now and then I unearth just to make sure I remain grounded in life.