Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 109924 times)

David Puddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2018, 06:58:27 PM »
Met Chico Brenes at a trampoline park, it was okay.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
I bothered the fucking shit out of Mike V when I was a little kid, probably 13 or 14, and he was cool as fuck. I mean he made a bunch of claims that he didn't live up to, like how he was never going to quit Black Label and Etnies and Accel wheels, but whatever. He also told me he invented that tail slide, never bothered to fact check it though. Well, some kid ended up breaking his fucking back at the demo because he tried to show off & Mike V visited that kid in the hospital. The kid quit skating a couple of years later and eventually died of a heroin overdose in later years, but whatever.

I also talked to Gino on the crailtap phone while they had it up on the website. Chico answered, and he passed the phone to Daniel Castillo but I wasn't really trying to talk to him. Luckily Gino was in their van, and he was really cool about shit. He pretty much told me about his Nike deal, his jail stints, and shared every single skate spot on Long Island with me. Dude chopped it up with me for almost an hour, and then I had to go because my early 2000's prepaid cell phone was about to run out of minutes. Thanks for the convo Gino, I didn't take any of your advice about not going wild with partying or anything but I appreciated your diverse knowledge of Long Island skateboarding.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2018, 07:04:55 PM »
Bobby Worrest skated past me and once I noticed, I was psyched and watched him for a second.  He happened to turn and saw me staring directly at him...

He turned his head right back and started pushing faster.

This may have happened to me with BA. doesn’t really count as an awkward one because BA got away before I could make it awkward lol (another dude on a shortlist of people I would truly fan out over).

A year or 2 ago I saw him doing powerslides throughout traffic in the middle of Broadway in soho and definitely stopped dead in my tracks and watched with the “holy fucking shit that’s Brian Anderson doing backside powerslides in real life” face

He looked my way and I think saw me staring at him like I saw I ghost but I don’t really know

JORNDA

• Rep: 9
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »
i once saw sage elsesser at a festival and i said what's up and how i was a big fan of his skating and he said "thanks, i'm gonna go get some shnacks" and walked away, he was a cool guy though.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »
After riding a bicycle around various HB spots found myself at the tall Sunset ledge Nicky T. SSBSTS'd in the Suffer the Joy. My last session there I was getting into FS tailslides across it but didn't roll away. Really wanted to pull that maneuver but instead ran into Andre Genovosi. After a couple attempts he pulled me aside n explained to me he was tryin HIS trick there n he already tried it on a few different occasions with no avail (so I guess he was more important than me???).

I sat down, drank some beers for a a couple hours n left after witnessing some dude not land somethin for that amount of time. Never seen a photo or video evidence of that...

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2018, 07:38:14 PM »
there was this one time where me and Tony Trujillo were posting in the same slap thread about this pro who beat women

euro tm

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
During the filming of Think’s “Business As Usual” I got to drive around with them a couple times showing them spots. On the way back from one of the trips Josh Mathews was talking on the phone with someone and referred to me as “some kid.” I’m only one or two years younger than the dude, so in my head I was thinking “Really guy? Some kid?” I will now always think of him as a poor mans Danny Brady. Lee Yankou was cool as fuck, Russ Milligan was chill, Cody McEntire was really quiet but cool.

I filmed Justin Strubing do a perfect nollie 270 pivot fakie at 3rd and Army when they had the lil DYI quarterpipe setup still. I was just filming my friend and poached his trick. We made eye contact right after but I’ve always been pretty shy so I just didn’t say anything. Used it in our homie vid.

I walked by Tommy Guerrero on the street right after his Nine Club interview came out. I was in a hurry and just yelled out “I liked your Nine Club interview!” real fast. “Thanks man!” Kept walking.

Ran into Jake Johnson and Al Davis with some chick at Baker Beach the day after the SF GX1000 premiere. Upon seeing them I just yelled out “GX1000! …video was dope!”  “Gracias,” said Jake Johnson. Apparently I do a thing where I yell stuff I like at pros.

When that Emeryville DIY spot was still there I did a lil baby roll up the circular pole jam thing to fakie and Karl Watson looked genuinely stoked and clapped for me. I was just surprised because there was nothing at all difficult to the trick.

Richie Jackson texted me once. He wanted to check out some spots I knew of but never followed through. I still have his number which is kind of weird.

i was taking a piss after some video premier and richie crawled into the stall i was in and asked if i was doing coke. i said no and he left without saying anything.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
gave caswell a light and he said "thank cap'n!". found that funny for some reason

beibel told me about going to the peep show across from parallel(he said the chick was kinda fat, but he was still stoked on it) while the majority of the girl/chocolate guys kinda cool guyed everyone.

bought setups and parts off Jeron and Chico after having ours taken by the cops. both were super sick and nice guys.

already told this one before, but i was sitting at macba with my friend while Fred Gall rolled a fuckin bat of pure hash next to us. he lit it up, hit it once then said "you guys need this more than i do" or something to that affect and gave us the joint. later that night i was walking down rambla de raval and someone puts me in a half nelson while yelling "GIMME YOUR BOARD, NIGGA!!". turned around and it was uncle freddy again. scared the shit out of me for a second.

met other pros in barcelona, but those were the better ones.

i interviewed arto for the website of a canadian skate mag that i worked at. i was super nervous and kinda fanning out, but it ended up going really well and we chatted for about an hour. looked at my recorder after and realized i hadnt been recording the whole time  :o never got the re-interview. had other pro experiences via that job, but i cant really think of anything good from that.

was walking down my street when a car stopped at the light and atiba was in the passenger seat. when i noticed him i said "atiba!" without thinking. he looked at me like mr burns looked at lenny.

https://youtu.be/lDQR5Tw79ds?t=32s

Pigeon

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
Andy Roy was taking pics with someone who gave him money for new teeth 1-3 months ago. I accidentally made eye contact, but just skated past to the BART station on 24th. I also got shit on my back right wheel, so I now associate a stock photo of feces with Andy Roy.

Not Local

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2018, 08:59:41 PM »
Skated the Powell skate zone with Frankie Hill, early 90s. Totally kooked it by landing the trick he was trying in front of him but he was very cool about it.

Also met James Kelch there, he wanted to me know he was under the influence of LSD.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »
met jerry at a demo. musta been 1998 or so. he was exactly how i thought he would be, humble and mellow. can't remember if it was an osiris demo or not. but he was doing nollie heel flips into this bank and the next day i went back and was doing them too. i thought i was cool then i realized i in fact was.

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2018, 09:37:34 PM »
Was at an in-store event and we had it rocking so hard, that Felipe Gustavo and his girlfriend, came in, and did an about face, without talking too or making eye contact with anyone there.

Me and friend did blunt run for Stevie Williams while he waited to get in line in some SF bar

I gave a truck axle nut to Brian Tucci when he still lived in the Bay Area at 3rd and Army (which I got lost going too my first time  :-[)

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2018, 09:41:28 PM »
I was driving some am around the night before a demo while talking on the phone to one of my friends. I was on the phone saying, "Guess who I hung out with tonight?!" and the am assumed I was talking about him. He slinked down in his seat and was obviously super uncomfortable. I could feel him thinking about how to escape from my car, but I wasn't talking about him I was talking about my ex who I really wanted to get back together with.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:44:12 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

SlashPoolCoping247

• Rep: 0
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2018, 09:49:48 PM »
I met Sebo Walker at an art show being put on by the local shop. I tried to act chill, but my high ass told him how much I liked his style and his art, super enthusiastically. I got a picture with him and I tried to high five him which turned into a flimsy handshake. Im pretty sure I caught him off guard and I felt super embarrassed afterwards. Good times

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2018, 09:56:10 PM »
Was at a legit lowkey kickback at a buddies house in downtown HB when Nigel unexpectedly showed up at the front door. My friend didn't know him and he and his entourage got kicked out. When we told him who he was and how he was a pro skater he said, "don't worry, we'll get another one."

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2018, 10:09:33 PM »
Too many to mention ..
Bunch of my mates use to be the annoying kids that would turn up
Skate at most of the demos in Sydney in the late 90’s

Keenan was funny as hell and so cool.. Mariano only one I kinda went quiet like ohh shit

But the best was me and a freind decided to leave a demo at Penrith to smoke
A joint and it turned out Penny and Chris senn had the same idea and smoked with them in the car park.. they were fucking mellow as and Penny had just cut his hand inside on a sketchy ledge thingy inside.. was brief but fucking cool

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 139
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2018, 10:51:51 PM »
On a number of occasions I've found myself kind of staring as I watch some pros skate, only to realize I'm staring when I make eye contact with said pros. Usually I shake myself out of it and give a nod to whoever it is. I used to live a block away from a park with some popular ledges in Bed-Stuy. Had it happen there a few times. Also saw Mark Suciu and some other Adidas dudes while I was at a buddies art show at a gallery not too far from Labor. Most everyone is cool about it. I never really talk to anybody though - I just don't want to bother.

Speaking of bothering people, I was doing some man-on-the-street interviews with strangers for a podcast right after the Away Days premiere in NY. I was asking people about the worst injuries they'd sustained skating. One dude was super hammered and yelled in my face, "I DON'T KNOW ABOUT GETTING HURT. YOU SHOULD TALK TO THIS GUY, MAN. HE'S FUCKIN' GOOD, MAN. THAT VIDEO? HE WAS IN IT! HE WAS IN THE VIDEO", and he proceeds to shove some guy in front of me, who turns out to be Brian Peacock. He kind of cool-guyed me, but also seemed super embarrassed as he waved me off and sheepishly went to stand behind his friends
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:12:58 PM by HeadInLionsMouth »

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »
I watched Brian Anderson fan out on Jessie Nehaus on random run in in New Orleans, Jessie was def confused I'm assuming cuz of how much more famous BA was in skating than he was.

Oli96

• Rep: -12
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2018, 01:28:12 AM »
I bet Ben Kadow in SoHo NY in 2016, he was with Chris Millic I think and both were really nice in person. I explained I was on holiday from England and asked for some local suggestions. Got a photo then left

FuckingAweful

• Rep: 0
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2018, 01:29:07 AM »
When the converse team came to Australia me and a couple mates ended up out the back of the local shop smoking a blunt with Aaron Herrington and Sage Elsesser.

Aaron was a super nice dude, didn't take himself seriously at all but Sage seemed way up his own ass, was really odd

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2018, 01:39:29 AM »
Butcher jumped in front of my friend in the hotdog line at a Hurley demo, grabbed one, then turned around and said, "I stole your weiner." Then later, walked past him and said, "I ate your weiner."

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2018, 02:23:51 AM »
met geoff rowley and david gonzalez in a metro station once.
fanned out a little over rowley, i asked him for a photo and he
asked us whether we're drunk. we answered in the affirmative.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2018, 03:04:23 AM »
gave caswell a light and he said "thank cap'n!". found that funny for some reason

beibel told me about going to the peep show across from parallel(he said the chick was kinda fat, but he was still stoked on it) while the majority of the girl/chocolate guys kinda cool guyed everyone.

bought setups and parts off Jeron and Chico after having ours taken by the cops. both were super sick and nice guys.

already told this one before, but i was sitting at macba with my friend while Fred Gall rolled a fuckin bat of pure hash next to us. he lit it up, hit it once then said "you guys need this more than i do" or something to that affect and gave us the joint. later that night i was walking down rambla de raval and someone puts me in a half nelson while yelling "GIMME YOUR BOARD, NIGGA!!". turned around and it was uncle freddy again. scared the shit out of me for a second.

met other pros in barcelona, but those were the better ones.

i interviewed arto for the website of a canadian skate mag that i worked at. i was super nervous and kinda fanning out, but it ended up going really well and we chatted for about an hour. looked at my recorder after and realized i hadnt been recording the whole time  :o never got the re-interview. had other pro experiences via that job, but i cant really think of anything good from that.

was walking down my street when a car stopped at the light and atiba was in the passenger seat. when i noticed him i said "atiba!" without thinking. he looked at me like mr burns looked at lenny.

https://youtu.be/lDQR5Tw79ds?t=32s

Fred Gall is a racist and Slap loves him

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2018, 03:57:48 AM »
A few years ago me and a friend got to be extras in this TV On The Radio music video Atiba directed. We show up early to this skatepark in Highland Park, and it’s pretty much every big-name pro in the industry there skating in the background while the band plays next to the bowl. Reynolds, Guy Mariano, Koston, Chris Cole, Lance, Justin Strubing, Trevor Colden, Herman, TK, Vincent Alvarez, etc..

I decided to go back to my car and get my board, I don’t think extras were supposed to skate but I said fuck it. I got to skate in a session and somehow land a lot of tricks with some heroes of mine and it was a rad day.
Anyways, while I was standing there Guy came up to me with arms outstretched like “heyyy dude! How are you, how have you been!?” and pretty much hugged me while I was just like “uhh I’m good thanks!” being pretty frozen in surprise. LOL I really wonder who he thought I was. Nicest dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Frvbp2PC0E

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:06:17 AM by DBOONFOREVER »

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2018, 04:02:06 AM »
Also, just wanted to throw in that BA is hands down the nicest pro I’ve met.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2018, 04:50:28 AM »
i met p-stone at Vans Park Series in 2016, smoked a joint with him some and helped him light a fire. He asked me if i could buy some beers and gave me like 20 bucks, i bought the beer and then Grant, Ronnie Sandoval Omar Hassan and Kevin Kowalski just came by. Translated a conversation for Omar, where a crackhead girl wanted him to sleep in her house, and asked what Grant's favorite band was. Talked about sobriety with Ronnie and how shitty Brasil is with P-stone while them all were talking good things about my country. Phelps was there too. He talked about some acid trip in south africa.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:19 AM »
When I was like 13 and I wasn't really skating much I saw spanky and some of the America team while I was riding my bike through the parking lot of a Kroger in a leather jacket. I didn't expect to see them soon got like nervous shakes and i looked like a look

I saw Cairo at target the first day I moved to California, I backed away while staring for some reason as not to be detected

I got to go to the since day one premiere in sf and my awkward Asian friend was like Steve berra! as berra walked in front of us and he turned around and tried to be cool but it was really weird and awkward

My friend told me to come to this chicks birthday party because some friends from high school were there but first thing when I skate up.and walk in the door Dustin Dollin walks up and starts rubbing the sweat off my face with his own shirt saying how i was filthy but he liked that or something could tell I had been skating hard
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:01:56 AM by CrappyChan »
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

jomeara1

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2018, 05:07:53 AM »
In 2004 I was at a Red Bull demo and PJ Ladd was there but only did like 2 tricks and then just stood around the rest of the time. I went up to him and asked why he isn’t skating and he said something like “dude I didn’t even know we were coming here today” I just said oh ok and just awkwardly walked away without saying nice meeting you or anything lol.

At that same demo, it was later in the day when it was starting to die down and Kerry Getz was still skating the park. I was rolling up to the quarter pipe completely oblivious that Getz was rolling up to too and I got in his way. He immediately picked up his board and slammed it against the ground in anger. I turned red in embarrassment.

ThrillOfItAll

• Rep: -47
  • Stomp It
    • Skate Blog avatar image
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2018, 05:27:45 AM »
Most people i met have been rad, Mike Mo was a little bit odd but meant well i think.

My mate pissed Biebel off enough he left the bar. Same dude stopped Dave duncans energy drink rolling off a table at a comp, i swear Dave thought he was trying to steal it but then opened it, slugged it and told us to pass it around as it was cold, just awkward.

Ha, I saw Devine Calloway and thought, ah cool, can i get a signature on my board!? I forgot i was riding HIS board, felt a little bit kooky but he was so stoked i had his deck he couldn't keep thanking me. Oh shit, same mate of mine from above told Devine in Barca he just full cab flipped Macba and was pro and Device just smiled and said " Cool Man" haha Cunt.

Saw Louie Barletta and crew in Barca a few times over a week, So Rad.
Time To Play The Game

SkateChimney

• Rep: -29
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2018, 05:38:13 AM »
I was skating macba last year and was trying a kickflip nose manny on the low slope ledge. i scraped, bailed and when i looked up Stevie Williams was there about 20 meters in front of me, smiling as if he was thinkin 'damn! nearly had that". I rolled over all sweaty  just gave him a handshake/hug and said thank you. He smiled and said 'keep it up dude' and walked of. i got zero pussy that holiday so defo the highlight.