Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 109928 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2018, 06:22:13 AM »
my friend met jerry hsu and went for a high five and jerry went for a fist bump and he ended up awkwardly grabbing his fist

FakieNollie

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2018, 06:25:12 AM »
Shane O'neill bought my friend and I a beer at the Tampa Pro after party, after I offered to buy him one. He is a super nice dude. Louie Lopez poured champagne into my friends mouth that night as well. 

calvinsdream

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2018, 06:36:44 AM »
Evan Smith bumped into me once at Southside looking for the shitter, does that count

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2018, 07:21:02 AM »
My brother's soon to be wife at the time was good friends with Billy rohan's fiance. They (not Billy) came over my dad's house one night and I showed her billy's big brother interview about all the crazy shit he's done and getting arrested and stuff. Was all news to her. Oops.

Anyway he was a guest at my brothers small wedding. We hung out, shot the shit, I didn't really have a lot to say, had very little life experience and had never met a pro before. He was talking about spreading skating and building ramps,  was super chill. I was dumb and asking him what tricks he could do and if he ever went back for the huge fs flip at flushing meadows.

Then a couple years later shit hit the fan.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2018, 08:12:49 AM »
I moved from New York to LA in 2012, first week I was out there I saw Heath at some random restaurant... While he was waiting to be seated I walked over to him and his girlfriend or whatever and awkwardly fan girled out... He was pretty quiet and then was like "Thanks", I nervously like nodded and walked away in such shame... Fast forward three years later and I would "casually" small talk and get drinks from him at black every weekend or so... Totally still fan girling out but totally acting like a cool guy and hiding it... I'm pathetic.

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2018, 09:01:59 AM »
It's amazing how many pros I've had awkward interactions with, but I suppose we all hang around the same sorts of places and I'm an awkward guy. Off the top of my head:

*Bumped into Tom K who was with the New Balance team in Edinburgh a few weeks ago. He couldn't have been more lovely.
* Went to Barcelona on my own and when I got to Paralel, the Lakai team were hanging about- MJ was eating chicken and had a big bandage on his hand, while Biebel was trying to pop-shuv one of the benches. I started skating one of the ledges at the edge of the spot and end up sharing it with JB Gillet. Knowing that he was waiting for me to slowly scoop myself/my board up most every time killed me.
*The Gravis guys were in Oxford and came to the local ramps but didn't skate. Just watched a couple of us be cack.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »
Was at a fun little bar with some friends one night, and some of last year's KOTR company arrived in a group. Kyle walker seemed pissed, and just stood outside the bar the whole time talking with some other randoms. As we were walking out to leave, I passed by Axel. Tongue-in-cheek, I said "Yo dude, big fan" and he just said a cold thanks without making eye-contact and continued walking. I later wished I said something of value.

Made it outside of the bar and were waiting for the rest of our friends to make it outside. I was kissing on my girlfriend, and heard a voice. I knew exactly who's voice it was before even looking. It was Andy Roy SCREAMING.. "AAAWHHH LOOK AT DA LOVE BURDS!!! YO!! THAT'S FUCKING CUTE!!" We were all just laughing, and having a good time. Andy was the coolest one out of em all.

BISCUITS AND GRAVY

• Rep: -22
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2018, 09:29:05 AM »
I saw Pancho Moler at the Amoeba Music on Haight once. I was super stoned and got stuck staring at him and he noticed. I felt bad because he probably thought I was staring because of his size and not just stoned and stuck.

Pat Eisenhauer

• Rep: 23
    • Going Home Again avatar image
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2018, 09:43:28 AM »
Sometime last year I ran into Pappalardo in front of my work.  He was working as teamster for some film/TV shoot. I was just like, "hey are you Anthony? I skate too!" but keep in mind I'm a 44 year old man so it was nice and awkward.

He was a bit defensive and pretty much like you would imagine, a little negative and a little sarcastic but we bullshitted for about 10 minutes.

I told him he should do a late career comeback because those are obviously all the rage right now, since this was right after when Wenning started to reappear.  I don't know how he took that one.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:45:02 AM by Pat Eisenhauer »

calvinsdream

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
Sometime last year I ran into Pappalardo in front of my work.  He was working as teamster for some film/TV shoot. I was just like, "hey are you Anthony? I skate too!" but keep in mind I'm a 44 year old man so it was nice and awkward.

He was a bit defensive and pretty much like you would imagine, a little negative and a little sarcastic but we bullshitted for about 10 minutes.

I told him he should do a late career comeback because those are obviously all the rage right now, since this was right after when Wenning started to reappear.  I don't know how he took that one.

"Just do a comeback bro"

pizza bitch

• Rep: 129
  • mhmmmmmmmm
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »
Was drunk walking in to a bar as Louie Barletta was walking out. I got really stoked and grabbed him by the shoulders and said thank you. He responded with "I love you dad!" Then we parted our separate ways.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2018, 11:47:15 AM »
I interviewed Markovich for a zine I did a long time ago and asked him about Gator (this was right after all that shit happened) and he politely declined to answer any questions about him.

It was a short interview.

notcool

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
saw nyjah last weekend at griffith park in LA his friends were awesome came up to us shook our hands and said their names. nyjah did nothing.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
was walking through the grocery store and spotted Koston. Tried to talk to him but it was so awkward. He was just trying to buy some food..

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »
I've randomly walked past Justin Eldridge four times. Each time realizing it was far too late to acknowledge him. It's only funny because I live in North Carolina.

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2018, 12:36:09 PM »
After riding a bicycle around various HB spots found myself at the tall Sunset ledge Nicky T. SSBSTS'd in the Suffer the Joy. My last session there I was getting into FS tailslides across it but didn't roll away. Really wanted to pull that maneuver but instead ran into Andre Genovosi. After a couple attempts he pulled me aside n explained to me he was tryin HIS trick there n he already tried it on a few different occasions with no avail (so I guess he was more important than me???).

I sat down, drank some beers for a a couple hours n left after witnessing some dude not land somethin for that amount of time. Never seen a photo or video evidence of that...

Um who?

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2018, 12:37:15 PM »
I saw Pancho Moler at the Amoeba Music on Haight once. I was super stoned and got stuck staring at him and he noticed. I felt bad because he probably thought I was staring because of his size and not just stoned and stuck.

I was skating the curb in front of Bronze Age on my new Julien Stranger syringe deck which had just come out a week or two earlier.  Julien watches me skate for a bit and then as I'm going into the shop or something he asks me how I like the board.  I said "I really like the concave" and he stares at me like he wants to kick my ass.  Eventually a girl comes out and pulls him away or tries to calm him down or something.

To be fair in those days different companies had different concaves, like Santa Cruz had a second upturn in the tail or something, and that was what made the strongest impression when comparing my new board to the old one.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2018, 12:40:57 PM »
Why would he be pissed?

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
Why would he be pissed?

Because the concave wasn't something he had anything to do with, unlike the shape or the graphics.

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2018, 12:56:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was skating the curb in front of Bronze Age on my new Julien Stranger syringe deck which had just come out a week or two earlier.  Julien watches me skate for a bit and then as I'm going into the shop or something he asks me how I like the board.  I said "I really like the concave" and he stares at me like he wants to kick my ass.  Eventually a girl comes out and pulls him away or tries to calm him down or something.

To be fair in those days different companies had different concaves, like Santa Cruz had a second upturn in the tail or something, and that was what made the strongest impression when comparing my new board to the old one.

Am i missing something? What was wrong with your positive response to a question he got a decent answer for ?

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2018, 01:18:45 PM »
last year in cph my buddy said "haha karsten doesn't ride for lakai anymore" to carroll and i kinda had to explain to carroll that my buddy is an asshole. wasn't hard to do, but awkward as fuck. thank god we were all drunk and in a good mood.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »
I was in Colorado for a hot second from 03' to 09'  really focusing on my skate career I got flowed by Advocate and a defunct Plank Lounge in Chattanooga,TN.

I was at Carbondale KOTR 03' and met TNT and the DLX dudes Dan Drehobl is my hero and Lance Mountain as well DD and LM were tight as fuck to me invited me and my gang to chill and watch dudes rip. TNT that guys a bitch, I am sure you guys seen the infamous KOTR segment where street punks were sliding in mud down the hill that was my friend's Alex, Jared, and Maggie like I said we were sharing beer with a bunch of dudes I believe beer and having a good attitude is what makes people affable and maybe a potential rep that'd put in a good word if you are decent at skating. As the gangs getting more beer I am trying to just shmooz with DLX dudes kinda hey maybe I can get in the van to ride with who knows?!  I have heard many many many many stories where dudes on tour's would be down for a potential new am or flow guy so I gave it a shot without being too needy or desperate but ultimately he probably saw through my ruse which is okay as the next part is where it solidified my opinion of TNT is he said in arrogant way like your friends left you here....... Yeah so? we are bringing more beer over you want to kick it? or are you too good for us? TNT............. Yeah I am and you should beat it, I told em to go fuck himself and really cried I was kinda bummed not because he was mean just the fact I don't expect much from ppl in general but if I talk too much tell me or try to be a genuine person altruistic in most naive aspect treat me with the same common respect  as the next person?!!!?!?! I have been through alot as I expect you'll have and for someone to be a dick for no reason at all except to drink our beers I would smash your face in and shit on you, no joke.

Also Met Toy Machine, Foundation, Darkstar, and Baker gang during Colorado KOTR 06' (they had a slipnslide with beer and Greco tried to fight a friend of mine as he called out Greco like hey fuck you don't steal from here this that and the other they had it on a copy somewhere can't find it)A challenge was to them in Boulder as one of the challenges was steal a shirt from this whack snowboard/longboard/skate shop in Boulder. I have tried to find the dvd or a copy of it to no avail. How I came to meet them was I had a basement apt above a Local Denver crew Wetboys a potshot towards Mike Vallaley inside joke was there was a gay 1-800-WETBOYS ad and the dude looked very similar to Mike V and we all had a good laugh at that as it could be true? Eventually someone superimposed a real cutout of Mike V and put it on the ad it was really funny.

Tony Hawk was nice I met him at Kona Jacksonville really late 80's

Jamie Thomas and Toy Machine co during jump off a building days they were rad Mike Maldanado killed the local Amsouth gap to bs 5050 and ollie out to street or it could have been ollie gap to ledge and ollie to street that segment was sick.

I partied at Stevie Williams indoor spot in ATL with Sid & Thurm Stevie wasn't there that'd be sick as fuck to kick it with him.

I'll add more if I can remember got hit in the head som memory fails me and drugs are a fuckery thing that messes with my head.

most of my encounters were just random and some were just okay this is happening, It usually was always was me just being a skate nerd and probably pulling a Nick Merlino and annoying the shit out of someone with skate talk whatever!!!!! better to be acknowledged with annoyance then to be forgotten at all,  Jerry Gurney is a down as fuck dude too met him while I was squatting and he was very similar in being a dork skate nerd so fuck yeah he is rad as shit.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »
I told Jon Newport he should skate more. He reacted as if I had told him he fell off.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
I was in the next bed to jesse paez in an emergency room when I was like 12. Didn’t say much to him cuz I was a kid and we both had broken bones

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2018, 02:17:38 PM »
I met Curren at Ojai Skate park and Brad McClain at Santa Barbara Skatepark. Both were super nice. I also met Mike Anderson at 5 Points.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »
I stood in line at Trader Joe's behind Biebel once. He was in full exercise gear and looked like a basketball playin' jock. I wanted to tell him that my mere existence meant more pussy for him.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »
I stood in line at Trader Joe's behind Biebel once. He was in full exercise gear and looked like a basketball playin' jock. I wanted to tell him that my mere existence meant more pussy for him.
That would have been classic

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2018, 03:27:37 PM »
I had no idea 6 years = a hot second. 

Nsa contest 90ish
Watched my current girlfriends mom try to splint the vertical vampire's broken arm with a pizza box.  This was mentioned in the back of a skateboarder mag "15 things you didn't know" article.  I think Dave Leroux won.  Berra got kicked out for sleeping under the ramp.  Also mentioned in the same skateboarder article, different issue.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2018, 03:54:20 PM »
I had no idea 6 years = a hot second. 

Nsa contest 90ish
Watched my current girlfriends mom try to splint the vertical vampire's broken arm with a pizza box.  This was mentioned in the back of a skateboarder mag "15 things you didn't know" article.  I think Dave Leroux won.  Berra got kicked out for sleeping under the ramp.  Also mentioned in the same skateboarder article, different issue.
Yeah longest I have ever stayed at one place for 6 years aside from my hometown in Chattanoogle, TN even then it was very sparse.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2018, 04:32:48 PM »
How I came to meet them was I had a basement apt above a Local Denver crew Wetboys a potshot

Huh.
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it