Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 109933 times)

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »
Was on a trip to SF couple years ago, our hotels was in Chinatown. Went outside for a phonecall and to smoke pretty late at night, out of the corner of my eye see someone with a board drunkenly ambling across the street up to me, ended up being Phelps, he asked me if I was goin to bomb the hill or something then stood there for a minute and swayed waiting for the light then bombed down through dragons gate and almost ate shit.

Also Rodney Mullen had a house in my hometown, we used to randomly come across him at like 3 am skating by himself with his dog, when we would stop to talk to him it was surprisingly not that awkward.
nice handle your name Jamie or Noel from SB or Goleta?
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

AnnihilationTime

• Rep: 5
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2018, 06:55:44 PM »
Haha thanks! no but I am from the 805 and Graham was one of the staff at our shitty wood park when I was a kid, actually I just saw Noel and all those guys last week their new band is fuckin great too.
Next thread is about how dope AA is for caveman grinding a 3 stair out-rail. Crazy times.

Damn you got a link for that?

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2018, 07:23:35 PM »
Haha thanks! no but I am from the 805 and Graham was one of the staff at our shitty wood park when I was a kid, actually I just saw Noel and all those guys last week their new band is fuckin great too.
[/quote/
I spent a gratutious time in SB & Goleta area, I was friend's with Jamie Noel and Graham. Rex and DJ were tight friend's of mine early 2000's.  You remember Chuck from Eden in flames? Been trying to get ahold of him saw him at a glance in Seattle at Neumos for Amebix back in 09'
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

914shred

• Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »
I was in 10th grade and went to CA for the first time. I was skating the old Huntington Beach park and asked Tom Penny for a cigarette not knowing who he was. He told me it was his last one  and then offered to share the one he was smoking. After he came back from the store he offered me one from his pack.

I used to work for a sandwich shop in NYC and would skate to do deliveries, skating back from one I ran into the Gonz, my face immediately lit up and we proceeded to skate down the street together. He did a kickflip, I tried to do one after, blew it and ran into him.

At some random posh NYC loft party I ended up in a hot tub with Justin Strubing in our boxers. I think theres a picture of it on some old blog.

notaLOCAL

• Rep: -5
  • Never had it, Never will.
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2018, 09:16:41 PM »
danlu was just chilling in the van and i said what's up. all he said was right on

AnnihilationTime

• Rep: 5
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2018, 10:26:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[/quote/

I spent a gratutious time in SB & Goleta area, I was friend's with Jamie Noel and Graham. Rex and DJ were tight friend's of mine early 2000's.  You remember Chuck from Eden in flames? Been trying to get ahold of him saw him at a glance in Seattle at Neumos for Amebix back in 09'
[close]

Ya I’m pretty sure he lives in Oakland now at the a.t. house I also heard he was in Pittsburgh though too but that might just be for skull fest, btw if you were around during that time you probably saw Holier than thou and if so I am jealous, in any case you should check out blasting concept they’re an sb band and they’ve been in a couple blu Ray edits
Next thread is about how dope AA is for caveman grinding a 3 stair out-rail. Crazy times.

Damn you got a link for that?

Cult_Follower

« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2018, 11:45:04 PM »
During the stay flared tour stop in Milwaukee I got an awkward photo with jerry hsu right as they were about to leave. I no longer have the photo, but I was squinting in the camera and Jerry’s is holding up the peace sign with a look in his eyes the just screamed “I’m done with these kids” can’t blame him though. Got an awakened photo with Spanky as I’m about a foot taller than he is. I also met Carroll and after saying nice to meet you he says in a slightly sarcastic voice “the pleaseure is allll mine.” Not in a mean way, but he was probably being goofy. Jeremy Leabres, Stevie Perez and Sebo Walker were also very nice. So was Leo Ramero.

These two are not my stories, but my friend who worked at the local shop got a call from Donny Barley when he was working for element, must’ve been our sales rep or something. The conversation went something like this
“Hey this is Donny your sales rep”
“Wait....Donny Barley?”
“..Yep”
“Toy machine/welcome to hell Donny Barley??”
“.....Yeah due....”
Not an awkward encounter, but one of the local older guys met Jason Lee at a 101 demo in Madison Wisconsin in 91 or 92 at the shop flying fish. He and his girlfriend, now wife took him and a couple other team dudes out for Pizza Hut.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:46:35 PM by Josh »

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2018, 01:09:40 AM »
Met Jereme Rogers in Dominican Republic and he told me to find Jesus. No context, I didn't even say anything to him first.

too bad youre not a chick or you could have witnessed an artist at work

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2018, 09:03:03 AM »
a couple years ago i saw danny montoya at a ying yang twins show and i (very insincerely) told him i loved his adio shoe, he was acting cool and didn't even say thanks so fuck that guy

i mean, should you even really talk to another man at a ying yang twins show?

feedmeseymour

« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2018, 09:09:08 AM »
Expand Quote
a couple years ago i saw danny montoya at a ying yang twins show and i (very insincerely) told him i loved his adio shoe, he was acting cool and didn't even say thanks so fuck that guy
[close]

i mean, should you even really talk to another man at a ying yang twins show?
maybe you should have whispered it in his ear, tell him alil something he might like to hear.... wait then he may have showed you his dick like bayum bayum bayum
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:15:25 AM by feedmeseymour »

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2018, 09:09:52 AM »
I shook Lenny Kirk's hand and he immediate began with the Jesus stuff.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2018, 09:57:05 AM »
I went to a shitty movie with Lindsey Robertson and Jimmy Carlin because apparently Jimmy reviews movies? 

LOU.502

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »
I went to a shitty movie with Lindsey Robertson and Jimmy Carlin because apparently Jimmy reviews movies?
I get the Mystery connection, but that’s a totally random pairing of skaters I’d never imagine would hang out with each other for extra curriculars.  It almost sounds like a shitty Odd Couple rip-off movie in and of itself “The Juice and the Jokester”

im probably lying

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »
I talked shit on God in front of Chad Tim Tim and I felt pretty bad about it because he's a very nice guy and if he wants to be into Jesus that's totally okay with me. I didn't realize he was standing behind me while I was talking about how stupid it is that adults have an imaginary friend because they can't cope the fact that life is a miserable and tragic crock of garbage. I was younger and respected people's choices a lot less than I do now. Truth be told, he didn't really seem to mind all that much. Turn the cheek and all that, I suppose. I'M SORRY CHAD U SEEM A WONDERFUL MAN

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2018, 03:17:21 PM »
I talked shit on God in front of Chad Tim Tim and I felt pretty bad about it because he's a very nice guy and if he wants to be into Jesus that's totally okay with me. I didn't realize he was standing behind me while I was talking about how stupid it is that adults have an imaginary friend because they can't cope the fact that life is a miserable and tragic crock of garbage. I was younger and respected people's choices a lot less than I do now. Truth be told, he didn't really seem to mind all that much. Turn the cheek and all that, I suppose. I'M SORRY CHAD U SEEM A WONDERFUL MAN

You're not wrong, though!

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
Met Jereme Rogers in Dominican Republic and he told me to find Jesus. No context, I didn't even say anything to him first.

Lmao

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2018, 08:50:51 PM »
I accidentally blew off Tony Alva once.

I was in Whistler, and Dog Town and the Z Boys was having some kinda premiere. I was cruising at the local park with some rereleased old school wheels on whatever boat I was riding at the time.

I rolled right by this old dude not realizing who it was or that he was talking to me and asking where I got my wheels, until a friend afterwards said “Dude, you just blew off The Godfather of skateboarding!”
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:48:03 AM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

fs overkrook

« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
So since I’ve started skating my friends have always told me I look just like Sean Malto. I got a job after high school traveling with people who worked the fair circuit selling cell phone cases and accessories. I was basically a carnie.

I was working a fair in Marietta Georgia (right outside Atlanta I think?) and I see Justin Brock with his wife and kid. He walks up to our booth and checked out our wares and told me I looked just like his friend with a big smile on his face. When they walked off he kept looking back smiling.

IamCircus

• Rep: -2
« Reply #198 on: August 25, 2018, 05:42:57 AM »
I was at the Del Mar Racetrack once for a concert and while I was coming out of the bathroom I hit Adrian Lopez with the door. He was pretty drunk but I apologized and told him that I really appreciated his skating. He said thanks and stumbled over my foot as he pushed past me into the bathroom.

At an ASR show in like 2000 or so I was hanging around one of the local hotels after the days events just to see what trouble I could get into. I ran into Kris Markovich (I wanna say hell rose days) and I said what’s up and told him I loved his skating. He said thanks and said come with me. I followed him out of the hotel lobby and into the street. Don Nguyen pulled up in a taxi and Kris told me to get in and come to the Casbah (a local bar/music venue) with them. I told him I wasn’t 21 and couldn’t get in. He said he’d try and get me in and I could just taxi back if he couldn’t. I was like 15 or 16 and I only had enough money for the bus so I told him I couldn’t. He shrugged and said sucks for you. Took off with my lame ass standing on the curb

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2018, 10:19:39 PM »
Not a direct encounter, but on my only trip to SF a few years ago, I stopped in a consignment store called Buffalo Exchange or something. Not expecting to buy anything, I found a mint (albeit XL) Dickies/Spitfire flannel for like $10.

I picked it up, and later on told my firms about it. He says he’d sometimes seen mint Nikes in the same store, but always size 13. He suspects BA dropped some of his stuff off there.

So I think I ride in BA’s flannel.

And I didn’t see any pros the whole time I was there. I did get to session the China Banks by myself, that was cool.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2018, 10:44:50 PM »
Not a direct encounter, but on my only trip to SF a few years ago, I stopped in a consignment store called Buffalo Exchange or something. Not expecting to buy anything, I found a mint (albeit XL) Dickies/Spitfire flannel for like $10.

I picked it up, and later on told my firms about it. He says he’d sometimes seen mint Nikes in the same store, but always size 13. He suspects BA dropped some of his stuff off there.

So I think I ride in BA’s flannel.

And I didn’t see any pros the whole time I was there. I did get to session the China Banks by myself, that was cool.

Jeez man, these place everywhere always have mint Nikes in size 13. You just got someone else's bullshit flannel, and you paid too much for it too.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2018, 11:02:22 PM »
classic Casanova ;D

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2018, 06:01:48 AM »
During the big slump of skateboarding in the early 90s I was at a Birdhouse demo.
Willy Santos, Hawk, Ocean Howell and some other pros and ams were there.

There were about 20 kids watching. The only obstacle was a 2 foot high bank. Hawk was trying frontside 180 flips and switch kickflips on flat. He was super friendly but it was very akward to see the best vert skater of all time like that.

chump91

• Rep: -8
« Reply #203 on: August 29, 2018, 06:36:16 AM »
I ate pizza with Anthony Pappalardo at his pop's pizza shop and we talked about Love Gap and his Lakai part for like an hour. Super chill dude but I could tell he has some sort of anxiety.

Antwon Dixon caught me staring at him during a signing and I quickly looked away out of embarrassment and then when I looked back he was staring at me and then looked away and we had this weird back and forth and then he just laughed and called me the homie.

Manny Santiago almost punched me in the face on accident during Tampa Pro a few years back and apologized profusely.

A young Grant Taylor signed my hat once and his homie took it and drew a big dick and Grant called him out hardcore.

One time Chaz Ortiz wanted to fight my friend at Woodward but it never happened. Would have been so sick to toss that fool.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:50:22 AM by chump91 »

ballintoohard

« Reply #204 on: August 29, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
Someone stole Paris Hilton's cellphone and published the phone book online. I saw Muska's number on there and cold called it and dude answered. A few weeks later we partied together in Phoenix. I had to pre-game solo because I was so nervous as he was a childhood hero, but he was so gone I doubt he remembers any of the dumb shit I said to be cool.

My worst pro encounter was skating Pier 7 for the first time and I accidentally snaked a Chocolate pro. I was so nervous of doing that that I didn't skate the first hour or two I was there. They focused my board and threw it off the Pier. Later, Karl Watson gave me his fairly new board.

hey pickle

« Reply #205 on: August 29, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »
Someone stole Paris Hilton's cellphone and published the phone book online. I saw Muska's number on there and cold called it and dude answered. A few weeks later we partied together in Phoenix. I had to pre-game solo because I was so nervous as he was a childhood hero, but he was so gone I doubt he remembers any of the dumb shit I said to be cool.

My worst pro encounter was skating Pier 7 for the first time and I accidentally snaked a Chocolate pro. I was so nervous of doing that that I didn't skate the first hour or two I was there. They focused my board and threw it off the Pier. Later, Karl Watson gave me his fairly new board.

hahahahaha

the best part is that in my mind the choco pro is crob

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #206 on: August 29, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hahahahaha

i'm going with york. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2018, 01:25:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

hahahahaha

[close]

i'm going with york.
stevie pulled shit like that all the time when he was in SF. a friend of mine who was a little kid at the time gave him 20 bucks for a set of wheels and he just took the money and walked away

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »
Salman Agah talked to me about Skaterade, the energy drink company he was starting, at a skatepark in 04 while I was icing my knee for 35 minutes.

Completely spaced and asked Reynolds how he was dealing with the southern summer heat on the East Coast Skate Rock Tour in 2010. He replied, "Well, I'm from Florida, so I'm kinda used to it." I felt like a total dweeb.

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 10
« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2018, 11:17:34 AM »
when I was about fourteen years old a pro gave me a pair of his size twelve shoes which I passed off to someone who wasn't five foot four