Author Topic: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters  (Read 109916 times)

MintySandwhich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Re: Awkward (but not bad) Pro Encounters
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Someone stole Paris Hilton's cellphone and published the phone book online. I saw Muska's number on there and cold called it and dude answered. A few weeks later we partied together in Phoenix. I had to pre-game solo because I was so nervous as he was a childhood hero, but he was so gone I doubt he remembers any of the dumb shit I said to be cool.

My worst pro encounter was skating Pier 7 for the first time and I accidentally snaked a Chocolate pro. I was so nervous of doing that that I didn't skate the first hour or two I was there. They focused my board and threw it off the Pier. Later, Karl Watson gave me his fairly new board.
[close]

hahahahaha

the best part is that in my mind the choco pro is crob
[close]

i'm going with york.

ballintoohard is this dude confirmed

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
I know two girls who have slept with various Philly pro/am skaters who have for reasons unknown, told me about the dick size of said skaters and thus made every interaction weird (for me).

fs overkrook

« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2018, 05:19:45 PM »
I know two girls who have slept with various Philly pro/am skaters who have for reasons unknown, told me about the dick size of said skaters and thus made every interaction weird (for me).
There’s nothing wrong with wondering how big a pro/ams dick is.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »

So...let's hear it.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #214 on: August 30, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »
I was in the goodwill at Beverly and  Fairfax and Dill came in to look at the books. He told me through eye contact not to even attempt to speak to him

Andy_Roys_Left_Nut

« Reply #215 on: August 31, 2018, 03:11:15 AM »
What kind of masochist would even consider attempting to initiate a casual conversation with Jason Dill?

I was in the goodwill at Beverly and  Fairfax and Dill came in to look at the books. He told me through eye contact not to even attempt to speak to him

brewer

• Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #216 on: August 31, 2018, 03:25:46 AM »
At the Cherry premiere in London I legged it for a leak as soon as the video finished, only to end up in the middle urinal with Dylan to the left of me and AO to the right.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #217 on: August 31, 2018, 05:42:26 AM »
At the Cherry premiere in London I legged it for a leak as soon as the video finished, only to end up in the middle urinal with Dylan to the left of me and AO to the right.
You ever ski?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #218 on: August 31, 2018, 05:54:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You ever ski?

https://youtu.be/kVHJADafIpI
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #219 on: August 31, 2018, 06:36:41 AM »
stevie pulled shit like that all the time when he was in SF. a friend of mine who was a little kid at the time gave him 20 bucks for a set of wheels and he just took the money and walked away

That sucked for your friend. I had been around stevie a bunch as kids, doubtful he'd remember me, but puffed together a bunch. I never really saw the side of him that would do what you describe, some of his friends though would do that to kids for sure. They once punched me in the back of my head for $1.60 which was my bus fare at the time, but wound up giving my money back...so basically I just got punched for nothing.

curbappeal

• Rep: 1
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2018, 06:38:57 AM »
Gino showed up to the local, skated, then asked where some good food was.

Andy Roy asked me for a lighter, supplied flame.

Evan Smith told me over a cig that Mike Mo shattered his leg the night before

Ran into Phelps as he was entering Portrero and he thought I was someone else

Donny bought my coffee

Met Johan at New Blood during his ripndip days

newpcwhodis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2018, 11:33:21 PM »
Back in 2011, pretty recently after OIAM I saw Reuben Barrack at the Oakland airport.  I went up to say hi, he was super cool and told me he was going to San Diego.  I asked him what he was going to do there, like if he was on a trip or filming mission or something, and he told me that's where he's from.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2018, 01:18:19 AM »
Awkward = fanning out on Reuben Barrack.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
Long time ago during Tampa pro we were out with DGKALIS and he was macking on some girl from Brooklyn. At the end of the night somehow he got a rose and was rubbing it on her neck on the drive back to the apartment. He kept saying "That feels dope, right?"

A few years before that at the same venue a few guys I was with latched onto Josh Kasper for the night. When everyone was filing back to the cars Josh got sick and asked one of the guys to hold his hair back while he puked. Anyone in Chicago go to Asylumn for scooter lessons? Ask Jeff about that night.

Way back in my high school days there was a World demo in my hometown. Jovantae Turner was there and asked me if the X on my hat was for Malcolm X. I said, "No. I'm straight edge." Would have been way cooler if it was for Malcolm. That was a couple days before Berrska said something racist and Jovontae punched him in the face and sent him running back to Cali like a little baby.

I was visiting Tommy Budjanec for a week when he rode for Human with Andy Mac and Gershon. He and his girl were living at the same apartments in San Diego that MJ, Dave Mayhew, and Chad Knight were at. One morning I was on the balcony and saw them heading to the car to skate and I was bummed because I was stuck with a bunch of guys who were more interested in hanging out than skating. The highlight of the trip was kicking it with Chad at the pool while he and Mayhew spit water at each other. Chad kept calling himself a "cobra" and spitting water.

Lol damn pretty sure kalis has been with the same chick for like 20 years. Possibly even married that long too.

D. Bag

« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2018, 06:45:22 PM »
in '93, was at a 101 demo, fanned out big-time on Koston, Dill, and whoever the hell else was there at the park in IL where it happened.  Koston kept trying noseslide to fakie nosegrind on the knee high box, wasn't getting it to work, shot his board out at high speed and screamed FUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!! at the top of his lungs multiple times.  Board came right at me, I stopped it, picked it up and nervously handed it back to him.  He went from angry to a wide smile instantly, said "Thanks!" politely, then turned around and had a screaming meltdown and started throwing his board at the ground multiple times.  It was kind of silly. 

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2018, 06:46:55 PM »
in '93, was at a 101 demo, fanned out big-time on Koston, Dill, and whoever the hell else was there at the park in IL where it happened.  Koston kept trying noseslide to fakie nosegrind on the knee high box, wasn't getting it to work, shot his board out at high speed and screamed FUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!! at the top of his lungs multiple times.  Board came right at me, I stopped it, picked it up and nervously handed it back to him.  He went from angry to a wide smile instantly, said "Thanks!" politely, then turned around and had a screaming meltdown and started throwing his board at the ground multiple times.  It was kind of silly.
Rotation Station?
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #226 on: September 04, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »
Expand Quote
not a pro skater but the only famous person I met was Frank black /black Francis.
my homie got free tickets to see the picked a few years ago.
the gig was rad. we drank, sang and danced. at the end of the gig we had a beer at the bar. the pixies were drinking on the benches behind ours.
I turned to my musical hero since when I was 13 years old and with genuine admiration and love said 'Jack, I love your music man'.

I called Frank black Jack black.

he said 'thanks' and turned away in a shroud of anger and disgust.
[close]

I've called Murph from Dinosaur Jr. Lou Barlow once and I've been a fan since Video Days. The wrong name just rolled off my tongue. Murph just said "no. he has hair", and I felt so embarrassed I just turned and walked away.

I 100% did the same thing once, but telling a super famous snowboarder (I'm a nerd) how much I loved his brand in the 90's, only naming completely the wrong brand. He didn't even call me out on it, but he's kind of a weirdo. There is probably a named syndrome for this kind of thing.

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #227 on: September 05, 2018, 04:37:27 AM »
Two great but awkward things: had Louie Barletta laugh at me and a friend for being stoned out of our minds at the oververt premiere so he had Cairo take a picture of us with him in front of the theater it was at and got us in with him right away in exchange. Later on in the theater, we watched Forrest Edwards drunkenly fall off a balcony and onto the floor below in the middle of the video, then sadly limp away.

*side note: for some reason I commented on Dane Burmans picture the next day to ask if Forrest was okay(due to them sitting next to each other) and he called me a scumbag and blocked me instantly.
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2018, 04:41:27 AM »
Had Ed Templeton stalk my girlfriend on Instagram after posting us as his daily hb pier photo. Nice guy, talked for a while, but kept liking and unliking photos of her randomly for about a month or so before suddenly stopping.
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

D. Bag

« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2018, 04:08:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Rotation Station?

You betcha.  Drove the 90 minutes there at least 20-30 times a year back in the day.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2018, 02:38:43 PM »
I was staying at a skate house my buddy lives in when I was visiting him in Kansas City. At the end of the weekend, I went to the kitchen to grab my insulin from the refrigerator and I saw Gershon Mosley doing dishes. I just said good morning and asked how he was doing. Turns out he lived in the basement, seemed like a really nice guy.

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
When I met Tony Hawk I was paralyzed for a minute cause I didn’t think it was possible to meet someone of his stature in real life. Then he was all like, “wtf you doing here kid, how’d you get backstage?” He didn’t really say that but it was definitely a groundbreaking moment for me when we high fived.

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
I was staying at a skate house my buddy lives in when I was visiting him in Kansas City. At the end of the weekend, I went to the kitchen to grab my insulin from the refrigerator and I saw Gershon Mosley doing dishes. I just said good morning and asked how he was doing. Turns out he lived in the basement, seemed like a really nice guy.

Nothing to add, just warms the cockles of my heart whenever I hear about a roommate doing dishes unprompted
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 11
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2018, 07:10:49 PM »
I was at the sand gaps, and Billy Valdez said something to me like, "This guy looks like a bum, but he has money," while pointing at Paulo Diaz who was within earshot.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #234 on: September 10, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
not a pro skater but the only famous person I met was Frank black /black Francis.
my homie got free tickets to see the picked a few years ago.
the gig was rad. we drank, sang and danced. at the end of the gig we had a beer at the bar. the pixies were drinking on the benches behind ours.
I turned to my musical hero since when I was 13 years old and with genuine admiration and love said 'Jack, I love your music man'.

I called Frank black Jack black.

he said 'thanks' and turned away in a shroud of anger and disgust.
[close]

I've called Murph from Dinosaur Jr. Lou Barlow once and I've been a fan since Video Days. The wrong name just rolled off my tongue. Murph just said "no. he has hair", and I felt so embarrassed I just turned and walked away.
[close]

I 100% did the same thing once, but telling a super famous snowboarder (I'm a nerd) how much I loved his brand in the 90's, only naming completely the wrong brand. He didn't even call me out on it, but he's kind of a weirdo. There is probably a named syndrome for this kind of thing.

I'm not alone. I ran into Braydon Szafranski at a show in L.A about two years ago. I called him "Stefan" because I had just ran into Stefan Janoski. I don't think he noticed but he was very cool and took a picture with me. Maybe he did but thing is no one was going up to him, maybe he appreciated the attention. I don't know. Anyway, he was partying backstage with some skate industry people who were also nice. It was a festival and Allah Las were playing.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Rotation Station?
[close]

You betcha.  Drove the 90 minutes there at least 20-30 times a year back in the day.

Rad. Fellow Midwesterner here. I was at Rotation Station 2 - 3 times a week during the winter back then. And probably at that same demo. It was a bunch of Blind and World riders too, right? I remember Jeron Wilson doing a nollie heel noseslide on the curb high ledge. And Kareem blasting over the pyramid. Me and my buddy got into an argument over a free shirt they tossed out. It said "I Saw": then had a list of all the riders with a checkbox next to their name. "and they weren't as good as I thought".

I got one. I seen Berra at Rotation Station a few times, back in those early 90s. I think he had family somewhere around there. One time, I did a 1/2 cab flip on flatground and he started making such a big deal about it, it was really weird. All "how do you do that trick? I can't do that trick at all" Im just like "thanks. but I know you can do it. I've seen you." It kind of felt like he was being over hyped to be an asshole. But who knows, maybe it was genuine.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2018, 04:21:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Rotation Station?
[close]

[close]

Rad. Fellow Midwesterner here. I was at Rotation Station 2 - 3 times a week during the winter back then. And probably at that same demo. It was a bunch of Blind and World riders too, right? I remember Jeron Wilson doing a nollie heel noseslide on the curb high ledge. And Kareem blasting over the pyramid. Me and my buddy got into an argument over a free shirt they tossed out. It said "I Saw": then had a list of all the riders with a checkbox next to their name. "and they weren't as good as I thought".

I got one. I seen Berra at Rotation Station a few times, back in those early 90s. I think he had family somewhere around there. One time, I did a 1/2 cab flip on flatground and he started making such a big deal about it, it was really weird. All "how do you do that trick? I can't do that trick at all" Im just like "thanks. but I know you can do it. I've seen you." It kind of felt like he was being over hyped to be an asshole. But who knows, maybe it was genuine.

I got the other shirt from that demo that said "Plan b sucks".  Berra stayed semi-frequently, at a locals house.  He was an ass then...
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

tart.mommy

• Rep: -8
  • smd
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2018, 12:44:43 PM »
Bobby Worrest - me and the hometown crew made it to camp woodward around 2009, 2010 ? Some Krooked pros were there that week, Bobby was for sure the most talkative. Im from Virginia, so he was a DC legend for us. I was wearing an oversize hand-me-down button shirt that i spray-pained 'Bad Brains' on, he was super stoked. We would meet up with him at the parks after lunch, I was hucking myself so hard to try and be cool, he was mad fun and would egg me and the other kids on. Super sick, and then there was a camp competition to show off cabinmates' group energy. We convinced Bobby Worrest to get David Clarke and join us during our run, which they did. It was fuckin hilarious honestly, we put on this goofy Bollywood song and just did stupid shit around the park followed closely by a guffawing Bobby Worrest and cheesing David Clarke. I guess it wasnt awkward to us, but I bet Bobby was tripped out lol
I'm a trans bitch

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »
Took my camera to the stay flared tour. Got a good shot of Jerry hsu doing a fakie flip over a hip that he was battling throughout (he did land it). After the demo, i saw him stumbling about. For some reason in my head i said, "go show him the picture".  So I walk up to him, he  watches me looking at him from a distance. I knew right there that he knew this was going to be awkward. So I say "Jerry, you wanna look at a photo?  I got a shot of your..." And at that moment, I don't know if I was too high, nervous to talk to a pro, especially someone I've watched for so long , or what but I forgot what trick or was. I'm standing there like a deer in headlights. It slowly staring coming back to me, but mind you this is in mid conversation. So it's weird as fuck. I remember that he popped off his nose and it flipped. So hesitantly i said, "I got a shot of your nnnnollie heel." He looks at me confused as I press his face to my camera LCD screenn. He looks at me dumbfounded, smelling of beer, and goes "ughh, that was a fakie flip", and walks away.
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2018, 09:48:12 PM »
I just remembered today that back at one of the Vans Pool parties I took a donut (from a box of a dozen) from Tom Remillard that he was actually offering to Andrew Allen,who was standing next to me. I also shook Spanky's hand,but didn't introduce myself or say whats up,because I was thinking of which name he'd want to be addressed by..we shared an awkward silent stare.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house