Author Topic: Such thing as a warped skateboard?  (Read 10178 times)

rapscallion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Such thing as a warped skateboard?
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:30:07 AM »
I've never seen a convincing photo or example of a supposed warped or twisted skateboard. Anyone have a pic they can share?
Maybe some old boards with no concave or something but at this point I do not believe a modern skateboard can be warped. The only time I see it brought up is by old collectors or new skaters who don't understand how their trucks work.

Thoughts?

Pigeon

Re: Such thing as a warped skateboard?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 06:41:28 AM »
You probably don’t even know what a 2x4 is.

rapscallion

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »
You probably don’t even know what a 2x4 is.
It's 8. Post a pic of a warped deck.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »
I've never seen a convincing photo or example of a supposed warped or twisted skateboard. Anyone have a pic they can share?
Maybe some old boards with no concave or something but at this point I do not believe a modern skateboard can be warped. The only time I see it brought up is by old collectors or new skaters who don't understand how their trucks work.

Thoughts?
i think you are a complete fucking moron whos trying to fit in where you dont fucking belong at all. 
You dont fucking skate at fucking all if this is a real question, do you always lie to feel better?
Are you the fucking person that says "i used to be sponsored but i quit skating and now im getting back into it" while struggling to do a proper fucking ollie?

And please tell me what the fuck do you mean with not understanding how trucks work?
Did tou really think that sentence was some form of validation that you skate?

Please grab your phone (or computer i dont give a fuck where you post from) and shove it up your fucking ass
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

rapscallion

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Thoughts?
[close]
i think you are a complete fucking moron whos trying to fit in where you dont fucking belong at all. 
You dont fucking skate at fucking all if this is a real question, do you always lie to feel better?
Are you the fucking person that says "i used to be sponsored but i quit skating and now im getting back into it" while struggling to do a proper fucking ollie?

And please tell me what the fuck do you mean with not understanding how trucks work?
Did tou really think that sentence was some form of validation that you skate?

Please grab your phone (or computer i dont give a fuck where you post from) and shove it up your fucking ass

Work on your comprehension... I am talking about this with people thinking their deck is "warped" because of a bushings problem or the fact that all 4 wheels aren't touching ground at once.

So let's see your warped popsicle decks?
I knew this question would elicit some superstitious assholes who want to pretend like this is a common occurrence when it isn't at all.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 05:55:39 AM »
lol

rapscallion

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »

The most "warped" deck on eBay which is of course 15 years old and has no nose. Still ain't even bad.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 11:39:03 PM »
I've had a few. It's subtle but still bugs me.

There could be many reasons: heat/humidity during storage, curing issues, defective mold, debris in press, etc. I've had decks with overlapping veneers in the middle layers which caused the whole thing to be slightly uneven.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »
I assume this is just a troll, but incase you are just really fucking naive...

Skateboards warp all the time, it's very common. In my time working for shops and distros I had to take countless boards off the shelf that were too warped to sell (no board that has any warp at all should be sold). Changes in the moisture contest of the wood (which is affected by temperature) are what cause warpage. Take a board from a cold environment into a very hot one and there's a good chance it will warp, especially if there's a big change in humidity.

Nobody needs to show you a pic to prove a well known fact. You need proof the earth is round too?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
#teamwarpedearth

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 12:48:40 PM »

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »
like a third of the boards chapman sells are warped

so just buy three and prove yourself wrong

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »
One of the most satisfying feelings I've ever had was stomping through a line up of warped Termite completes that we couldn't sell and weren't going to pay to ship back. They were also very easy to focus.

I will say this - being able to easily spot even minor warps in a skateboard often pisses off the people who paid for those skateboards when you tell them. Haha. The distributors used to be so bummed when I would find warped decks, because they hope that sort of stuff sells without anyone noticing. My homie bought a new ATM deck recently that was so drastically warped I could see it from across the skatepark, but he's clueless so he didn't even know. Once I told him he couldn't stop obsessing about it. So funny.

rapscallion

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 07:06:15 PM »
I assume this is just a troll, but incase you are just really fucking naive...

Skateboards warp all the time, it's very common. In my time working for shops and distros I had to take countless boards off the shelf that were too warped to sell (no board that has any warp at all should be sold). Changes in the moisture contest of the wood (which is affected by temperature) are what cause warpage. Take a board from a cold environment into a very hot one and there's a good chance it will warp, especially if there's a big change in humidity.

Nobody needs to show you a pic to prove a well known fact. You need proof the earth is round too?
Of course people needed proof the Earth was round. Are you smarter than Galileo? It was a well known fact in ancient Greece that the Earth was a flat disc of water. The reason it's a well known fact is because it's been proven more than anything else in human history. I've had plenty of decks in my car in the Texas heat and cold, or sitting on my front porch for weeks and months that pass a warp/balance test on a countertop, never worked at a skate shop but nobody I've spoken to has actually come into contact with a warped deck so I want to see a photo.

I can agree with manufacturer defects but is it really the dumbest thing on Slap to want to see a deck warped from humidity as everyone says?

If your homie honestly couldn't tell his deck was warped, then it doesn't seem like that big of an issue.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 07:23:24 PM »

Of course people needed proof the Earth was round. Are you smarter than Galileo? It was a well known fact in ancient Greece that the Earth was a flat disc of water. The reason it's a well known fact is because it's been proven more than anything else in human history. I've had plenty of decks in my car in the Texas heat and cold, or sitting on my front porch for weeks and months that pass a warp/balance test on a countertop, never worked at a skate shop but nobody I've spoken to has actually come into contact with a warped deck so I want to see a photo.

I can agree with manufacturer defects but is it really the dumbest thing on Slap to want to see a deck warped from humidity as everyone says?

If your homie honestly couldn't tell his deck was warped, then it doesn't seem like that big of an issue.

I was asking if YOU needed to see proof the earth is round, today, because it sounds like you don't believe in something that's a well known characteristic of wood. That's what this comes down to, you obviously don't know much about wood to begin with. No biggie, just don't act like the concept of a skateboard warping is some sort of myth.

I also have boards that are years old, that have been through all sorts of temperatures, that aren't warped. The point is, warping is undesirable, so things are done during the manufacturing process to prevent it. Wood is imperfect though, so there will always be anomalies.

You and my homie don't notice the warpage because I assume you don't have a keen eye for detail - or at least not when it comes to the subtleties of a skateboard deck - NOT because warpage isn't real.

You gonna start calling out people who say the wooden doors in their house swell in the summer heat? Being very naive and ignorant about common things does not mean they don't exist.

rapscallion

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was asking if YOU needed to see proof the earth is round, today, because it sounds like you don't believe in something that's a well known characteristic of wood. That's what this comes down to, you obviously don't know much about wood to begin with. No biggie, just don't act like the concept of a skateboard warping is some sort of myth.

I also have boards that are years old, that have been through all sorts of temperatures, that aren't warped. The point is, warping is undesirable, so things are done during the manufacturing process to prevent it. Wood is imperfect though, so there will always be anomalies.

You and my homie don't notice the warpage because I assume you don't have a keen eye for detail - or at least not when it comes to the subtleties of a skateboard deck - NOT because warpage isn't real.

You gonna start calling out people who say the wooden doors in their house swell in the summer heat? Being very naive and ignorant about common things does not mean they don't exist.

I don't need proof of Earth because I've seen proof already. No one is born with knowledge.
There is a huge difference between a skateboard deck of layers of wood pressed into concave with glue than a simply constructed door or 2x4. I've seen delamination for example. As for warping it clearly isn't that common or drastic when it does happen.

Any other issue would have a photo easily produced, and seeing examples was the whole point of making the thread.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 09:18:41 PM »

I don't need proof of Earth because I've seen proof already. No one is born with knowledge.
There is a huge difference between a skateboard deck of layers of wood pressed into concave with glue than a simply constructed door or 2x4. I've seen delamination for example. As for warping it clearly isn't that common or drastic when it does happen.

Any other issue would have a photo easily produced, and seeing examples was the whole point of making the thread.

Well, I don't upload photos here, so I won't be going to that effort for you, the same as I'm not going to waste any time trying to prove to a flat earther that the earth is in fact a globe.

No, warping isn't usually very drastic, it's almost always slight which is why it slips by those who don't pay much attention. But, a warped board is a warped board, and if the warp is noticed before it's sold, it should be discounted or taken off the shelf. Also, warps generally get worse with time, or change. Did you expect to see a board twisted into a pretzel or something? In all honesty, it's a bit hard to take good photos that show warpage in a board unless it's quite drastic.

Lastly, just because wood was laminated into layers that created a final product does not in any way change the fact that it's wood and still affected by temperature and moisture. I can tell the difference in how my board feels after being in the trunk for a while on a hot day vs taking it out of my house and hopping on it. The simple fact that you said you leave boards on your porch for weeks and months at a time tells me that you probably don't worry too much about the condition of a skateboard, so I doubt you're really gonna notice when a deck is warped.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:21:21 PM by Budgie Lasek »

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
It really is hard to find a pic online if you're just google searching, but board collectors always take pics to show warpage because it affects cost (how could something that doesn't exist affect the cost?! Crazy!!!). Here's one of the old Powell deck clocks that's warped that's easy to see. Case closed.

http://powellperaltadeck.info/powell_peralta_per_welinder_skateboard_deck_1986_warped_deck_clock.html

And, just to reiterate - you're arguing this with someone who has manufactured skateboards and worked in the industry for over 20 years. Your post is titled "Such thing as a warped skateboard?". The answer - yes. The longer answer - Yes, how did you not know this?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:35:37 PM by Budgie Lasek »

rapscallion

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 12:35:08 AM »
It really is hard to find a pic online if you're just google searching, but board collectors always take pics to show warpage because it affects cost (how could something that doesn't exist affect the cost?! Crazy!!!). Here's one of the old Powell deck clocks that's warped that's easy to see. Case closed.

http://powellperaltadeck.info/powell_peralta_per_welinder_skateboard_deck_1986_warped_deck_clock.html

And, just to reiterate - you're arguing this with someone who has manufactured skateboards and worked in the industry for over 20 years. Your post is titled "Such thing as a warped skateboard?". The answer - yes. The longer answer - Yes, how did you not know this?
Sigh. Yeah but that board is over 30 years old. I mentioned this in OP and a few times after such in the example I found on eBay, and I did find that clock page as well.

Obviously I do not keep boards I intend to ride or ones I care about on the front porch for any length of time.
Guess I'll chalk this up to blaming the equipment because there's definitely some little kid who can pull off more on a warped deck that anyone here can do on his best day.
Funnily enough I found this photo of you online using your feet alone to tell if a board has ever been in your trunk or not...

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 08:06:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Sigh. Yeah but that board is over 30 years old. I mentioned this in OP and a few times after such in the example I found on eBay, and I did find that clock page as well.

Obviously I do not keep boards I intend to ride or ones I care about on the front porch for any length of time.
Guess I'll chalk this up to blaming the equipment because there's definitely some little kid who can pull off more on a warped deck that anyone here can do on his best day.
Funnily enough I found this photo of you online using your feet alone to tell if a board has ever been in your trunk or not...

Yes, it's an old board - so what?(I have equally as old boards that are straight as an arrow - remember that part about how warped boards are anomalies?) You said you had never seen a convincing photo, and there's one right in front of your eyes. (and, the board has concave, BTW, they just had less back then)

"Blaming equipment"? So now you've changed the point of your thread to "People who say a board is warped are using it as an excuse for why they didn't land something"? Thought it was about you saying warps are a myth and you won't believe in them unless you see a pic?

This is like a Lawyer arguing legal precedent with a child. 

More - https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-a-Warped-Skateboard/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:26:20 AM by Budgie Lasek »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 08:11:57 AM »
lmao, i have worked in board production/printing and sold skateboards for over 5 years. we had tons of warped decks. i have an old hopps deck on my wall that looks super fucked just hanging on the wall. i don't have a camera tho and you have to take my word for it. if you've never seen or unknowingly bought one, that's good for you bro. doesn't mean they don't exist elsewhere. if you'd pay 50-60 quid for a board and it would be warped like the one you showed you claimed to be "not that bad"(i disagree strongly) you'd be pissed as fuck and would complain like a little bitch. otherwise i have no problem with you being content to ride warped, old as fuck decks. i sure wouldn't buy one to ride, not even for 20 bucks, but you do you.

rapscallion

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 11:30:31 AM »
lmao, i have worked in board production/printing and sold skateboards for over 5 years. we had tons of warped decks. i have an old hopps deck on my wall that looks super fucked just hanging on the wall. i don't have a camera tho and you have to take my word for it. if you've never seen or unknowingly bought one, that's good for you bro. doesn't mean they don't exist elsewhere. if you'd pay 50-60 quid for a board and it would be warped like the one you showed you claimed to be "not that bad"(i disagree strongly) you'd be pissed as fuck and would complain like a little bitch. otherwise i have no problem with you being content to ride warped, old as fuck decks. i sure wouldn't buy one to ride, not even for 20 bucks, but you do you.
Who the fuck doesn't have a camera?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 03:05:01 PM »
people that use busted smart phones with fucked up lenses that don't post on facebook or instagram, like me.

anyways, it was actually very possible to warp a deck on purpose by applying the heat transfer sheet incorrectly when printing them. so you align the ht-sheet along the reference points on the board, than you put it in between two very hot rubberwheels. upper wheel comes down with lots of heat and pressure and if you over do it on one side or don't respect the boards concave, you can pretty much flatten the boards concave, warp it and twist it at one point, when doing the printing. you're actually meant to print them a certain way and run them only for a certain amount of times through the machine, the less times, the better, in order to prevent them from warping.

rapscallion

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 07:16:18 AM »
I'm willing to pack up the 7 negative reps I've earned from this thread and take the L, though I stand behind belief that most of the internet complaints about warped boards are wrong.
Friend managed to find this on a forum about bicycles. (http://bostonfixed.us/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=18&page=15) 7.5 shitty blank but still.
Warped is not the best description in general, twisted is a better word.
Also that instructables link is regular and fixing a board that way is only going to cause more heartache.

In closing, manufacturing is doing a good job at removing bad decks way before point of sale so I'm not going to worry about them any time soon. If I ever get one I'll definitely skate it and see how it goes.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 05:26:06 PM »
 oh yah.   (i always check them)
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
I'm willing to pack up the 7 negative reps I've earned from this thread and take the L, though I stand behind belief that most of the internet complaints about warped boards are wrong.
Friend managed to find this on a forum about bicycles. (http://bostonfixed.us/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=18&page=15) 7.5 shitty blank but still.
Warped is not the best description in general, twisted is a better word.
Also that instructables link is regular and fixing a board that way is only going to cause more heartache.

In closing, manufacturing is doing a good job at removing bad decks way before point of sale so I'm not going to worry about them any time soon. If I ever get one I'll definitely skate it and see how it goes.

I thought this was an orange

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 08:54:57 PM »
^definitely saw an orange and didn't get the point of it before I read your comment ;D

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 01:50:42 AM »
If you haven't seen warped deck yet please come back when you've done some actual skateboarding for few years, that shit is real and out there, not on internet. I feel like slap is getting dumber and dumber these days...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rapscallion

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 02:24:31 AM »
If you haven't seen warped deck yet please come back when you've done some actual skateboarding for few years, that shit is real and out there, not on internet. I feel like slap is getting dumber and dumber these days...
I've skated for years, everything is on the internet, and you are a part of that problem with your inability to read. But by all means bring on some more 45 year olds with phony wisdoms and/or elitism

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 02:30:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've skated for years, everything is on the internet, and you are a part of that problem with your inability to read. But by all means bring on some more 45 year olds with phony wisdoms and/or elitism
No point for arguing here, you’ll figure that shit out by yourself one day when you’ve done enough skateboarding.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.