Author Topic: Giger  (Read 9474 times)

shingles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Giger
« on: August 12, 2018, 07:32:49 AM »
So, Slap seems to be the perfect platform for either hate or acceptance, so I really wanted to see how SLAP sees the Swiss Guy Jonny Giger.

In my opinion, this guy really needs to switch his board sponsor. I dont want to mention the name of this Toys'R'Us Brand, but I really think the only reason, why Giger joined them is, because no other Brand was willing to turn him pro.

To me it is just very sad, that he ruined his whole reputation, just cause he wanted to turn pro. I mean his skills (when it comes to flatground) are pretty impressive and his style is miles better than the styles of the other child-molester-looking douchebags on his team.

And honestly, his Vlogging ruined everything for him in my opinion.

Can we just have a little talk about it? What are your opinions? Could he make it in the "Real World" of skateboarding or is he just some kook with impressive flatground-skills and a horrible accent?
support your local ramp-tramp

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Re: Giger
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 07:33:48 AM »
No.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 07:39:12 AM »
He reminds me of "CrazyRussianHacker" in the sense that he plays up his accent and purposely uses the wrong English word whenever possible in a desperate attempt to sound more foreign.

Flatground does not equal pro anyway.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »
He reminds me of "CrazyRussianHacker" in the sense that he plays up his accent and purposely uses the wrong English word whenever possible in a desperate attempt to sound more foreign.

Yeah just tell that to Rodney Mullen, the rail killer and stair hucker of our generation.

At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

rapscallion

• Rep: -3
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 07:57:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah just tell that to Rodney Mullen, the rail killer and stair hucker of our generation.
Your comparison is embarrassing and wrong. Rodney Mullen invented countless tricks, began as a freestyle skater and adapted to street, not to mention he did hit rails and had insane technical manual combos that are still unmatched. Laughable that you are putting him on the same level as a youtuber.

I would ask to see a clip of Giger on a handrail, even once but I honestly don't care to see that.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 08:03:16 AM »
no idea who you are talking about op, good thing you didn't post any links

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 08:06:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

might be the dumbest thing I've seen on here in a long time(and that says a lot). Do your homework.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »
Sometimes i say i've never heard of someone when what i really mean is i don't care.
In this case, i've actually never heard of this guy and  i also genuinely don't care.
I feel that you might have sold your thread a bit better with some audio/visual component, or maybe a reference to some juicy bit of personal gossip concerning your subject.
3/10

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 07:51:50 PM »
the 'g word' we don't say around the kitchen table.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »
Giger is one of the most impressive people in person one will ever see, he’s up there with Kyle Nicholson in terms of you really just have to see these shits skate in person and you won’t have any shit talking left to say.

Edit:him, John hill, and rademaker are how I thought about austyn while he was on WKND

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »
he's where he belongs. that part was yucky.

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 09:43:42 PM »
Him, Carlos Lastra, Doug Des Autels etc are all those guys that have talent, but just not enough, they just don’t have it “all.” The skill is there, but they’re still just not good enough, and not marketable for core skateboarding. However, they’re so damn marketable with younger kids, it makes up for what they’re lacking as far as skill which is why they fit in so well with the PG rated companies like Revive.
John Hill is the only one out of all those guys that from a purely talent standpoint, could have actually made it in skateboarding, and was going to, but didn’t help his case by shitting away all his sponsors back in the day. That’s why he started doing YouTube, because no actual skateboarding companies wanted to deal with his bullshit anymore and was out of options. (I.e leaving in the middle of trips, not getting along with anyone, things like that)
So to answer your question, I think if Revive land didn’t exist, Giger could probably get a few decently reputable sponsors, but I doubt he’d ever get his name on a board for one. 

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 10:51:41 PM »
Sucks shit.

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 12:09:11 AM »
Every generation needs their own Ronson Lambert.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:09 AM »
So this wasn’t about H.R.Giger....bummed.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

thomas kook

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:05 AM »
someone really just compared some early grabbing late flipping revive dude to kyle nicholson i must be living some kinda crazy fever dream

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 02:00:59 AM »
someone really just compared some early grabbing late flipping revive dude to kyle nicholson i must be living some kinda crazy fever dream

Heresy, fuck that! Kyles skating is fucking art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSyT_CU4_BE

BarbaraStreisand

• Rep: -12
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 02:45:37 AM »
brbraaah.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 02:54:30 AM »
Meh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnaHXcZEiHI

He's good, but not amazing. I don't like that he skates so slowly and his late flips are of the bad kind not of the good  prod kind. I really like that he manages to skate these terrible swiss village spots, though.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 03:04:33 AM »
Never heard of this dude.

Clicked the video, uploaded by Andy Shrock.

That figures...

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 04:20:19 AM »

I don't think so. He pronounced his surname like an American would have said it (with the I sounding like the I in bike) instead of saying it like people here in Switzerland say it (with the I like it does in the word Italy). Not sure why he did that, I thought it was weird.

I've been skating for decades and spent most of my life in Switzerland and can tell you guys that skateboarders here never mention him (or that company he skates for). Everybody likes Kilian and knows how incredible Chany is but nobody talks about him. Well, not the people I skate with, and that's a lot of kids, teenagers and adults.

ValJerk

• Rep: 0
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 05:08:32 AM »
He’s entertaining, does some rad shit, but meh, deff not what I’d consider a pro

Patey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 05:35:29 AM »
in order to be even somewhat relevant he would need to shave his head, stop doing late flips, give up youtubing, stop with the circus shit, leave revive, delete shrocks phone number, focus his "pro" boards, learn handrails, forget how to early grab, never speak again, take 2 extra pushes for every trick, buy some highwaters and a beanie, and start suggesting everyone would fit on krooked.

so yea get started johnny.

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 05:48:54 AM »

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 06:02:29 AM »
Giger is one of the most impressive people in person one will ever see, he’s up there with Kyle Nicholson in terms of you really just have to see these shits skate in person and you won’t have any shit talking left to say.

Edit:him, John hill, and rademaker are how I thought about austyn while he was on WKND

In what universe is someone a fan of Kyle Nicholson while also unabashedly liking youtube vloggers???

I don't think anyone needs to see Kyle Nicholson in person to understand how fucked-up good he is. And the edit comparing Austyn & WKND to a bunch of youtubers made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 06:04:40 AM »

Came here to post this.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »

SilvergultRab

• Rep: -58
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »
Who is this cunt?

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 09:13:35 AM »

Which is damn shame because that Giger was great, this one not so much.

Any slappers been to the Giger Bar/Musuem? Shit looks crazy.