Author Topic: Giger  (Read 9473 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
Re: Giger
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
in order to be even somewhat relevant he would need to shave his head, stop doing late flips, give up youtubing, stop with the circus shit, leave revive, delete shrocks phone number, focus his "pro" boards, learn handrails, forget how to early grab, never speak again, take 2 extra pushes for every trick, buy some highwaters and a beanie, and start suggesting everyone would fit on krooked.

so yea get started johnny.

The guy dresses and skates like the epitomy of the "cool skater-dude" vision of the '00's skater that the general public knows from video games etc. and he does "hard tricks" that dazzle the uninformed, without being particularly creative or inspired.
He is trying just as hard to fit in as the trendy kids you described, but within a different group, and he is obviously very concerned about his status within that group.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3287
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
he's where he belongs. that part was yucky.

Thanos916

• Rep: 25
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
First I time saw him was on The Berries in this.

http://theberrics.com/jonny-giger-flatground-project/

He shoulda stuck to being quiet and "letting his skating talk for him" instead of being a try hard in front of the camera. Something about him just bugs the fuck out of me.

He also named a trick after himself which earns is 10/10 on the douchebag scale:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=giger+flip

I had to wash my mouse after clicking on that one again.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 12:41:33 PM »
i hate that i knew who this thread was about. hes not even interesting enough to hate watch during moments of extreme boredom.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 01:13:48 PM »
holy fuck i hated that part

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 02:21:12 PM »
Any slappers been to the Giger Bar/Musuem? Shit looks crazy.

There are two Giger bars, one in Chur and one in Gruyères. I went to the one that's in Gruyères and it was pretty rad. Definitely worth it if you're in this area.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 02:43:20 PM »
I take back my comment to op about posting parts, no wonder why you didn't

this guy is no pro, I could only watch 3 tricks before I'd had enough

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
Expand Quote
in order to be even somewhat relevant he would need to shave his head, stop doing late flips, give up youtubing, stop with the circus shit, leave revive, delete shrocks phone number, focus his "pro" boards, learn handrails, forget how to early grab, never speak again, take 2 extra pushes for every trick, buy some highwaters and a beanie, and start suggesting everyone would fit on krooked.

[close]

The guy dresses and skates like the epitomy of the "cool skater-dude" vision of the '00's skater that the general public knows from video games etc. and he does "hard tricks" that dazzle the uninformed, without being particularly creative or inspired.
He is trying just as hard to fit in as the trendy kids you described, but within a different group, and he is obviously very concerned about his status within that group.

this is true, but there certainly is a SLAP-approved dress code and trick selection that is just as unoriginal as anything Revive does

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

this is true, but there certainly is a SLAP-approved dress code and trick selection that is just as unoriginal as anything Revive does

I respectfully disagree, on the grounds that the slap-approved dress code exists on an infinitesimally smaller scale than the mainstream revive look.
If you showed 100 random people pics of this revive-guy next to ben cado and asked which one is the "pro skater" there's no question upwards of 90% would identify revive-guy as the cliché, hands down.
In other words, revive-guy is probably 10x as unoriginal as the slapcentric style, and that's a very conservative estimate.

Now if you wanted to talk about the way things are assessed just within this microcosm of slap-skateboarding, your argument would make more sense. But it's clear that revive-guy either doesn't understand or doesn't care about the way we see the culture. So if this guy is so clearly unconcerned with what me or other people here think, is it so surprinsing that we in turn don't give a shit about him? Why is there some moral obligation for a "skate scene" (personified here by a message board, but you know) to respect and applaud the efforts of a person or company who don't give anything back to it?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:30:20 PM by botefdunn »

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 02:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I respectfully disagree, on the grounds that the slap-approved dress code exists on an infinitesimally smaller scale than the mainstream revive look.
If you showed 100 random people pics of this revive-guy next to ben cado and asked which one is the "pro skater" there's no question upwards of 90% would identify revive-guy as the cliché, hands down.
In other words, revive-guy is probably 10x as unoriginal as the slapcentric style, and that's a very conservative estimate.

Now if you wanted to talk about the way things are assessed just within this microcosm of slap-skateboarding, your argument would make more sense. But it's clear that revive-guy either doesn't understand or doesn't care about the way we see the culture. So if this guy is so clearly unconcerned with what me or other people here think, is it so surprinsing that we in turn don't give a shit about him? Why is there some moral obligation for a "skate scene" (personified here by a message board, but you know) to respect and applaud the efforts of a person or company who don't give anything back to it?

I find it amusing that 90% of people would identify Giger as the pro skater

because he would be the one doing all the tricks

the public doesn't know or care about the SLAP dress code. it has no value other than gatekeeping

darwin

• Rep: -8
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 03:43:33 AM »
i could see him being flow for enjoi or almost with his style, maybe am if he could actually skate rails. he reminds me of a less stylish chris haslam, definitely shouldn't be pro though for sure

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2018, 07:42:12 AM »
I dont see how you can hate on a guy with such a sick double dolphin late under flip casper slide.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
If you give your own name to ANY flat ground trick then see ya

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2018, 05:04:41 PM »
Should start his own company.
Name : Regige.

hmmmokay

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:59 PM »
When I was a kid a friend of mine at the time, and he was dead serious mind you, said that stationary flat ground skating was better than any other type of skateboarding. for some reason I feel like jonny, skating in what would appear to be a basement and naming tricks after himself, would argue the same, and he's a grown ass man.

Nag Champa

• Rep: -29
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 08:52:11 PM »
I caught one line and had to turn it off. Gave me IBS

Kickturns don't count these days.

squintharder

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 08:59:49 PM »
yeah, everything about the youtube shit is completely wack. and said company is absolutely terrible. everything about it makes me think "gross". i always thought his flatground shit and all those manuals and whatnot were  impressive.. but I never got hyped on his skating at all. would not give a fuck if he went pro for any other company

Mongoloid

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »
Shit like this exists, yet Julien Stranger chooses to throw jabs at legit smaller skate companies.

jimbeamskinnypimp

• Rep: -3
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2018, 02:43:45 AM »
Never heard of this guy
only cool guys push switch mongo

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2018, 06:45:42 AM »
He literally has 210K followers by just renaming existing tricks like a "backside 180 late back foot flip" and giving them goofy names that will appeal to 10 yr olds - like "the pokemon flip" or some shit.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »
Never heard of him.  He's definitely into cuckolding though. Definitely.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

jimbeamskinnypimp

• Rep: -3
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2018, 11:09:36 PM »
He literally has 210K followers by just renaming existing tricks like a "backside 180 late back foot flip" and giving them goofy names that will appeal to 10 yr olds - like "the pokemon flip" or some shit.
Youtube skaters are so wack
only cool guys push switch mongo

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2018, 12:12:41 AM »

Shit, I'm totally into backside 180 late back foot flips now

• Rep: -42
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2018, 06:53:10 AM »
If you give your own name to ANY flat ground trick then see ya

I know defending him is not fucking core, but hey his fan base was begging him to name a trick after himself. After a couple years of his fans begging, he gave the people what they wanted. I don't think that's terrible. Theres way more legit reasons to hate on him, like the figerflips.
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2018, 07:18:43 AM »
It could be the contorted, fully flared arm steee. Only room for one professional to do that haha  :)