Author Topic: Antwuan Dixon | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 107  (Read 14427 times)

botefdunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
Re: Antwuan Dixon | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 107
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »
Antwuan one of us

Stringer Bell

• Rep: 7
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
Good to see Antwuan free. Glad he's back on his board.

I noticed something about this episode I hadn't noticed before. Roger and Kelly are much better listeners than Chris.

When Antwuan was talking about the death of his mom, you could tell you he wanted to talk about that, but Chris was interjecting a "yeah" or "right" everytime Antwuan paused to take a breath. Then Chris derailed the convo and asked Antwuan if he knew these other skaters. Antwuan then brought up his mom again in relation to those other skaters and how she was always there for them.

Eventually Antwuan kinda harped on how sometimes you are talking to someone and they don't really care about what you are saying.

Maybe I'm reading into it to much, but that's just what I noticed.

Chris starts sweating bullets whenever anyone starts talking about anything real.

He's not good with human emotions.

TommyDuggs

• Rep: 1
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »
Expand Quote

I noticed something about this episode I hadn't noticed before. Roger and Kelly are much better listeners than Chris.

When Antwuan was talking about the death of his mom, you could tell you he wanted to talk about that, but Chris was interjecting a "yeah" or "right" everytime Antwuan paused to take a breath. Then Chris derailed the convo and asked Antwuan if he knew these other skaters. Antwuan then brought up his mom again in relation to those other skaters and how she was always there for them.

Eventually Antwuan kinda harped on how sometimes you are talking to someone and they don't really care about what you are saying.

[close]

Chris starts sweating bullets whenever anyone starts talking about anything real.

"I miss her more than anything"
"But yeah so Baker..."

JFC Chris

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
"But yeah so Baker..."

JFC Chris

Yeah, this one got me, too.

I want to believe the kickflip story so bad hahaha. Also, shots fired on Baker/Deathwish dudes. That's gotta be the most he's said "on the record" about it.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
"But yeah so Baker..."

JFC Chris
[close]

Yeah, this one got me, too.

I want to believe the kickflip story so bad hahaha. Also, shots fired on Baker/Deathwish dudes. That's gotta be the most he's said "on the record" about it.

Hes mentioned them before. There was the little interview when the "Minor setbacc for a major comebacc" board came out where Ellington and Reynolds said they would be skating as soon as he gets out. He mentioned later in another interview that it never happened. Things could have changed after that interview and before he got out. He does seem bitter about the whole thing and stressed his frustrations on leaving Es for Supra but in the end who knows. He might have probably ended up in the same spot had he got on Chocolate an stayed on Es.

redhatchet

• Rep: 44
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 05:58:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
"But yeah so Baker..."

JFC Chris

Haven’t even listened to this episode yet but yup. Agree with all of y’all that he does seem to lack the skills to go deeper into conversation. He kind of gets uncomfortable when it gets past small talk/bullshitting/industry shit.

We wanna hear people get real crob, cmon son
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 06:27:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
"But yeah so Baker..."

JFC Chris
[close]

Haven’t even listened to this episode yet but yup. Agree with all of y’all that he does seem to lack the skills to go deeper into conversation. He kind of gets uncomfortable when it gets past small talk/bullshitting/industry shit.

We wanna hear people get real crob, cmon son

This.

And you can tell its therapeutic for him to speak on such a tough subject,  only to be sidetracked

I'm thinking antwuan probably doesnt back crob too much right now

Really good episode though. Woulda been better if Chris didnt fuck it up
Gentleman ninja warlock

roomservice

• Rep: -209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »
Dude is one of those people who just seems tiresome to deal with. The subtle black power ethos was totally unnecessary and didn't help anyone in the room feel comfortable. It's not like Nakel or Ishod feel the need to pull that shit. We're all skaters, no need to play the race card so hard and kook yourself.

Stringer Bell

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »
Dude is one of those people who just seems tiresome to deal with. The subtle black power ethos was totally unnecessary and didn't help anyone in the room feel comfortable. It's not like Nakel or Ishod feel the need to pull that shit. We're all skaters, no need to play the race card so hard and kook yourself.

Where was all this black power stuff? I must have missed that.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2018, 07:33:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, please elaborate.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »
only thing i can think of is when he said 'black excellence' in reference to his favorite skaters 'ishod, nakel and little kevin bradley'.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
I liked that it seemed he's never watched a Nine Club episode before by the way he mentioned the switch flip manny video playing, but didn't really seem to know its significance on the show. Also, when he teased in on his Instagram, he says how they just wrapped up filming with Chris Roberts, Kelly, and the homie over here(referring to Roger), which makes me think he truly forgot his name or doesn't know who he is.

It is a bit of a bummer to see it seem like he doesn't want anything to do with Reynolds or Ellington and doesn't seem to give them much credit for helping him. I don't know the whole picture obviously, but it sounded like they tried for a long time to help him out and keep paying even during some of his jail time. An Antwuan return to Baker or Deathwish would be amazing, but that's seems a little unrealistic.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:27:27 AM by RCB3 »

Irvine-Sucks.com

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2018, 07:47:28 PM »

they might have felt alright about it, i know i did. I felt like he was being real and it didnt seem like he was criticizing them at all. Hes a black man and its obviously meant something to him to have other black men as role models and peers, nothing wrong with that and doesnt mean he doesnt feel love for other skaters, he obviously does.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »
Roger was zipped up the entire time.. Awful body language
Does he not fuck with antwuan or what?

Still one of the best guests, some real candid shit, just wish they would ask him something other than "oh?" and "yeah?"

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they might have felt alright about it, i know i did. I felt like he was being real and it didnt seem like he was criticizing them at all. Hes a black man and its obviously meant something to him to have other black men as role models and peers, nothing wrong with that and doesnt mean he doesnt feel love for other skaters, he obviously does.
To me it was the streets talking to suburbia,a culture clash. They kinda geeked it when Steven Cales was on too. As said,when shit gets real Crob derails the conversation to something else,but I think his lack of attention/listening (compared to Kelly and Rog) fucks him up. Can't expect much other than what we get,but if Crob was on his shit he would've dug into Twan's feelings about his mom,some heartfelt shit could of come out. Overall this episode had me cracking up, and like most I look forward to seeing Antwuan progress

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2018, 08:21:37 PM »
Roger was zipped up the entire time.. Awful body language
Does he not fuck with antwuan or what?

Still one of the best guests, some real candid shit, just wish they would ask him something other than "oh?" and "yeah?"
total disclosure, rog was the guy who mouthed off to antwuan w/ his kids in the car. lucky for him big kandy was mad faded and can't place 'the homie over there'.
'oh i did what last night? that was somebody else, boy you better.....'

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2018, 08:34:06 PM »
Totally get where twuan is coming from with the Baker/deathwish graphics, but at the same time the Baker image back then was that punk/drunk/outlaw shit anyway so he kinda just fit what they were already doing.

Cosign Crob being scared of feelings. Kelly coulda dig deeper or at least not steered away from real shit. Crob is funny and good sometimes but him and Kelly should tag team these interviews more so Kelly can do what Crob sucks at

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2018, 08:38:57 PM »
The look and reaction when Roger said nollie flip down Carlsbad only to be corrected that it was a nollie heel..... He looked so disappointed in himself.

germy rogirs

• Rep: -14
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2018, 09:00:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yes, please elaborate.
only things i can assume hes takes as black power references are when he started listing of all his fave skates and mentioned mostly black excellence. He also tripped out when he thought Roger said "White power" when he actually says wild power only things i picked up on not really anything

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 10:11:44 PM »
I think anything black power related just seemed extra out of place next to three of the whitest brady bunch dudes in existance

Michelle Obama

• Rep: 3
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yes, please elaborate.
[close]
only things i can assume hes takes as black power references are when he started listing of all his fave skates and mentioned mostly black excellence. He also tripped out when he thought Roger said "White power" when he actually says wild power only things i picked up on not really anything

The white power comment was obviously a joke and whoever started this comment is fucking insecure.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2018, 11:16:38 PM »
Y'all do know that this is edited right? So that jump from his mom to baker just might be edited that way. Bad, but still. This isn't the full conversation that's on there.

Ellington/Reynolds story is somewhat fuel for discussion. On one hand they gave him tons of cool chances and on the other hand he's right when he says he was marketed as skateboarding's 'bad boy'. But when shit really hit the fan there was no one there... they should have gotten this kid on rehab and gave him life lessons, but it did seem a bit like the old 'lemon - squeeze - drop' thing and can't imagine he was the easiest to work with either.

I think he's on the point where he finally sees that. I truly wish this guy the very best though, I always root for this dude and hope he'll get back some better sponsors (not that these are bad) and I hope he stays away from rats and leeches...

Undeniable one of the rawest and pure talent skateboarding has ever seen (Jereme as well... but we all know where that went)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:23:21 PM by DISTANT RUMOURS »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2018, 12:35:48 AM »
that was finally a must watch 9 club for me again.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2018, 01:49:56 AM »
http://www.instagram.com/p/BmcT-4UFCU-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=zpp0jnb3nku8

This photo stoked me out.

Like I said, I may have been reading into things too much and Distant Rumours might have nailed it with an editing fluke that led to the visual / audio of Chris switching things up super fast. Then again, who knows. Discussing death with anyone is tough.

I do know I went on a first date tonight and caught myself interjecting between the person's statements because I wanted to show I was actually into what they were saying. I had to remind myself to just shut up and listen.

Anyways, like always, props to the 9 club for keeping these discussions going. I've still got 30 minutes left of this episode so I haven't heard Antuan's thoughts on where he was at with Deathwish.

Stringer Bell

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2018, 02:09:26 AM »
I did think it could have been a less than ideal edit. It's just that it happened a couple of times. And in other episodes.

But whatever, that's just 9 Club's style I guess.

Also when Antwuan said that Gailea Momolu was his favourite skater, everything made sense.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2018, 03:53:32 AM »

Also when Antwuan said that Gailea Momolu was his favourite skater, everything made sense.

that really does make sense, just rewatched his parts

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2018, 04:24:07 AM »
I'm really happy that he seems to be in a much better place, but his shots toward Baker/Deathwish still seem like a way to dodge accountability. He complains that people judge him based on the things people see of him in videos, as if it's not valid to judge somebody by their actions. He reacted the same way with his Epicly Later'd and Skatetalk interview where the reality is that he was just doing him, and the cameras are telling what they see. I get where he's coming from regarding those companies glamorizing that kind of lifestyle, but find me another brand that would give him THAT many second chances.

Also Crob asking "what's your favorite stairset" is like the pro skater version of "what's your best trick?"

sms_b

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2018, 04:56:53 AM »
Have any of you considered the possibility that it was at Antwuan's request that conversations about his mother be left out of the edit?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2018, 06:25:54 AM »
Please just accept that Chris Roberts isn't the Dude for "real shit". He obviously doesn't want to do it. Doesn't have the disposition to do it tactfully. He also feels like one of those dudes who would never step out of line and rub the "industry" the wrong way.