Author Topic: Will Antuwan ever get a legit sponsor again  (Read 14601 times)

Far from relevant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -100
Will Antuwan ever get a legit sponsor again
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:42:06 PM »
 "HES PRO FOR DOG AND TEH STRAYE, THATS SO LEGIT BRO WHY U HATING"

So just a recap of the thread title I said legit. And yes I know Jamie Thomas owns the straye thats awesome ! Good for him. If you think the straye is going to survive in this current economic climate you have reality perception problems.

As most skaters I was a huge fan of Antuwan when he was coming up. He truly deserves the title of the black Tom Penny as his style and trick selection are arguably the best. We all know Antuwan has been through some tough times but it seems hes come out on the other end and is doing quite well now.

Its interesting how other people who have went through same thing like Wenning has come back with all his  original sponsors  ie DC and Habitat. Antuwan either must not want anything to do with bakerboys, which wouldnt make sense cause its seems like hes still on good terms with them. Or the more obvious reason is he has permanently burned his bridges with them.

In a perfect world id love to see Antuwan back on baker or deathwish with a sweet nike or addidas contract (which I feel he deserves alot more then alot of pros) but this is not the case. Im not even sure who else he would fit on besides them.

So im guessing im going to get shit on pretty bad but I know there are alot of antuwan fans like me that love the fact that hes doing well, but long for the days where twan was hooked up proper.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
Re: Will Antuwan ever get a legit sponsor again
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:44:44 PM »
time will tell
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 02:48:10 PM »
"the title of the black Tom Penny"

no he has the title of twuan get the fuck out

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:02:51 PM »
the black Tom Penny

Stop.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Far from relevant

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »
Im not sure who coined the phrase, but for the record im quoting someone else....

morningcommute

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »
in the nine club and past interviews he clearly states that he feels exploited by bakerboys and said he wouldn't ride for them again.

I hope he gets a legit board sponsor

Far from relevant

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 03:12:43 PM »
in the nine club and past interviews he clearly states that he feels exploited by bakerboys and said he wouldn't ride for them again.

I can kinda see where he's coming from but at the same time I feel like even if deathwish hadn't been exploiting it he would've went down a dark path all on his own.

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
Clearly Death Wish should have stepped in and welcomed him back. The Baker Boy camp ran that horse to death and let him go. If he gets it together, they should bring him back. A Welcome Back Antwuan board would sell like crazy.

jomeara1

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »
As talented as he is, I would think that other companies probably see him as a liability, especially after deathwish gave him multiple chances when he was in and out of jail.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »
  He's better than baker.  But theres nobody else I could see him on so maybe he's fucked.  Skating isn't cool enough rite now to even have Antuwan involved. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Far from relevant

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 03:33:57 PM »
As talented as he is, I would think that other companies probably see him as a liability, especially after deathwish gave him multiple chances when he was in and out of jail.

I guess there is a point of no return when it comes to skateboarding sponsorship. The only brand i could possibly see him on is Krooked.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »
"HES PRO FOR DOG AND TEH STRAYE, THATS SO LEGIT BRO WHY U HATING"

So just a recap of the thread title I said legit. And yes I know Jamie Thomas owns the straye thats awesome ! Good for him. If you think the straye is going to survive in this current economic climate you have reality perception problems.

As most skaters I was a huge fan of Antuwan when he was coming up. He truly deserves the title of the black Tom Penny as his style and trick selection are arguably the best. We all know Antuwan has been through some tough times but it seems hes come out on the other end and is doing quite well now.

Its interesting how other people who have went through same thing like Wenning has come back with all his  original sponsors  ie DC and Habitat. Antuwan either must not want anything to do with bakerboys, which wouldnt make sense cause its seems like hes still on good terms with them. Or the more obvious reason is he has permanently burned his bridges with them.

In a perfect world id love to see Antuwan back on baker or deathwish with a sweet nike or addidas contract (which I feel he deserves alot more then alot of pros) but this is not the case. Im not even sure who else he would fit on besides them.

So im guessing im going to get shit on pretty bad but I know there are alot of antuwan fans like me that love the fact that hes doing well, but long for the days where twan was hooked up proper.

I ain’t even read all this shit but Jamie Thomas does not own straye. Angel Cabada does.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »

I think it was kind of a two way street - they exploited his behavior, and he completely played into the image as well.  But you would think with Reynolds, Greco, and Ellington being sober, that they may have tried to do something to not enable the way he was.  Clearly it was not going to end well.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
Even though I'm not a fan of the brand, Primitive would be dope simply because you know he'd make the money he deserves.

I'd like to see him on Nike/Adidas but with his history that'd never happen. Maybe converse. I just feel like Straye won't last that long and he'll end up flow forever.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »
Hyped he got on dawg shit, good work antuwan.

billyerlife

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 04:35:11 PM »
Occasionally, riders make the brand legit, rather than vice versa. I am not a fan of the names or aesthetics of Straye or Raw Dawg personally, but I don't know that they aren't going to end up being successful, especially with people like Antuwan involved. After all, the big name brands are dwindling in popularity and impact, so other brands are going to have to come up in their place.

Unless skateboarding is dying again, in which case it might be that nothing replaces them, but that's a different conversation altogether. 

Also, I'd also like to say that the phrase "Black Tom Penny", regardless of where it came from, is bad. 'The Black (insert white person's name here)' is a phrase that should have never come to be, and should definitely be retired permanently.

newpcwhodis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »
I don't see why he "deserves" a big shoe/board contract more than a lot of other people.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 05:19:30 PM »
When he was on other people's brands, making lots of money, it led to a lot of self-destructive behaviour.
Now that he's doing for himself he seems happier and healthier, facing the daily struggle with a better appreciation of his own situation.

bo bice

• Rep: 76
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »
weird thing is growing up me and me friend’s all called Tom Penny the white Antwuan

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 05:54:16 PM »
What happened to the kid from the credits ofcTSA’s Life In The Fast Lane that said his friends call him Tom and he had a Tom Penny skateboard and everything, hm?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »
Even though I'm not a fan of the brand, Primitive would be dope simply because you know he'd make the money he deserves.

Good call. I was thinking Twaun might be too old and washed up, but if Bastien can get on why not?

AlwaysSkater420

• Rep: 173
  • If you don't fuck with Boulala we can't be friends
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 08:55:29 PM »
I don't see why he "deserves" a big shoe/board contract more than a lot of other people.
Mr. Johnny Rodney Mullen mentioned him on his top 5 so i think that it counts

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 09:04:21 PM »
black tom penny

jfc focus yourself

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -40
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good call. I was thinking Twaun might be too old and washed up, but if Bastien can get on why not?

Bastien was still noticeably shredding when he first got on at least.

We don't have a large enough sample size of current twuan footy to determine if he'd be a serviceable pro on a legit board company or not.

• Rep: -42
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Bastien was still noticeably shredding when he first got on at least.

We don't have a large enough sample size of current twuan footy to determine if he'd be a serviceable pro on a legit board company or not.

Wait, a front tail front heel on insta isn't enough to prove twan is back and better than ever?
You can throw me on the double kink box and then watch the hate ignored like Constitution by the congressmen

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 09:32:54 PM »
What happened to the kid from the credits ofcTSA’s Life In The Fast Lane that said his friends call him Tom and he had a Tom Penny skateboard and everything, hm?

He got hooked on drugs and died apparently.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 10:16:15 PM »
If board companies don’t pay much anyway and he fucked himself off as far as nike and adidas deals with a criminal record I bet he could still make good money with some weird LA streetwear type shit. Or even some legal weed endorsements, the dude is still marketable as hell

nocomply900

• Rep: 2
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
I could see him on Grimplestix.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 11:48:29 PM »
according to google he's about to be 30. that's not really too late if he stays positive, clean and keeps putting in work he could still do very well. pushing 250k followers he's got a big audience and one of the most unique perspectives in skating of all time. he could do some shit nobody's ever done really.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 01:57:07 AM »
No doubt this guy could shift some boards on a brand that's actually available somewhere...