Author Topic: Has skateboarding changed or have I???  (Read 4131 times)

chump91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Has skateboarding changed or have I???
« on: August 13, 2018, 03:03:58 PM »
Idk if its the several tabs of acid I took this summer but I was at the my local park the other day and I started really looking at my fellow boarders in a different light. People were wearing gold chains, watches, all that hype street-wear expensive shit (which I don't have a problem with cause some of that shit is fire) but Idk for some reason the peacocking high fashion of skating nowadays made me feel really weird. I know fashion has always been a part of skating and always will but it felt like skaters were there to show off and flaunt rather than skate and have a good time. Years ago you were a nerd/weirdo if you skated (at least where I lived) and now I feel like I get "cool guyed" by even my fellow skaters just cause I don't give 2 shits about how I dress before I skate or how "steezy" my tricks look.

People talk about skating losing its soul or whatever bullshit but this time something felt real off to me. Donno what it is, maybe its just in my head and I should just smoke this blunt already.

Somebody help explain this shit.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Has skateboarding changed or have I???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »
  ^dude if you can't beat them why don't you try joining them?  -Like don't spend all your money but maybe turn down the judgment a tad (we've all been there) and chop it up with the fools who your questioning.  -ya never know.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 03:21:04 PM »
Idk if its the several tabs of acid I took this summer but I was at the my local park the other day and I started really looking at my fellow boarders in a different light. People were wearing gold chains, watches, all that hype street-wear expensive shit (which I don't have a problem with cause some of that shit is fire) but Idk for some reason the peacocking high fashion of skating nowadays made me feel really weird. I know fashion has always been a part of skating and always will but it felt like skaters were there to show off and flaunt rather than skate and have a good time. Years ago you were a nerd/weirdo if you skated (at least where I lived) and now I feel like I get "cool guyed" by even my fellow skaters just cause I don't give 2 shits about how I dress before I skate or how "steezy" my tricks look.

People talk about skating losing its soul or whatever bullshit but this time something felt real off to me. Donno what it is, maybe its just in my head and I should just smoke this blunt already.

Based on your one interaction at a skate park I would say yes skateboarding has changed. In a few years skate parks will be littered with kids not even skating and just showing their cool clothes off. You should probably quit skating now while you can.

chump91

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »
  ^dude if you can't beat them why don't you try joining them?  -Like don't spend all your money but maybe turn down the judgment a tad (we've all been there) and chop it up with the fools who your questioning.  -ya never know.

Truth. Yea probably being too judgmental. Something was off about it tho.

chump91

chump91

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Based on your one interaction at a skate park I would say yes skateboarding has changed. In a few years skate parks will be littered with kids not even skating and just showing their cool clothes off. You should probably quit skating now while you can.

You either leave skating with a torn ACL or skate long enough to become a kook yourself lol

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You either leave skating with a torn ACL or skate long enough to become a kook yourself lol

Or quit and say "Bro I love skating, skating is the best. I used to skate but I just dont have time anymore" Which actually means Ï used to skate because all my friends did and i wanted to fit in, but my wife and family members said i was too old for it. So now i fill my free time with activities that I enjoy alot more than skateboarding.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 03:48:59 PM »
Show em what's up.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 04:31:48 PM »
I agree that skating has reached its critical mass in terms of outsider affinity. Instagram has a big part in it by introducing another element of egoism and narcissism to an already ego-driven activity. It sucks because skating was a way to escape being surrounded by jocks and to be your own weirdo without being judged. Now skateparks are full of judgy jocks who go out of their way to be douchy cool guy's. Ever since the Thrasher t-shirt phenomenon started to happen, I began to notice this shitty behavior more and more.

Advice: skate street. Avoid parks.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Or quit and say "Bro I love skating, skating is the best. I used to skate but I just dont have time anymore" Which actually means Ï used to skate because all my friends did and i wanted to fit in, but my wife and family members said i was too old for it. So now i fill my free time with activities that I enjoy alot more than skateboarding.

That's not necessarily bad, is it?

My problem is being forced to fill free time with activities I enjoy less that skateboarding.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's not necessarily bad, is it?

My problem is being forced to fill free time with activities I enjoy less that skateboarding.

Yeah, what's the part about "activities I enjoy a lot more than skateboarding" mean? If skateboarding is keeping you from some other shit you'd rather be doing, why do you skate? To be fair, I stopped dating years ago because everything about being in a relationship annoys the living hell out of me, so I can't relate at all to that.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 06:06:40 PM »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 06:09:34 PM »
Maybe try hitting the am shift. Most parks sound kind of sucky on slap though

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Or you tear your ACL, get it fixed, but then also get kooky in the rehab process and talk to kids about the anti-inflammatory properties of kale.

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »
Advice: Swag on ‘em.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 03:20:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Or you tear your ACL, get it fixed, but then also get kooky in the rehab process and talk to kids about the anti-inflammatory properties of kale.

I usually school these punks on the importance of core strength and stretching.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 05:50:48 AM »

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 06:07:53 AM »
Skating a spot alone or with real friends will never lose it's soul. Avoid all sorts of scenes and just do your own thing. That's where it's at.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 06:37:02 AM »
2 timeless guidelines to remember as you leave your 20’s behind.

1: Kids are generally clueless.

2: They still skate better than you.

1 is annoying, 1+2 = infuriating
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 07:41:23 AM »
Yes, it has changed. If it didn't change it wouldn't be what it is now.
I think the answer is in the first section of the question, you have changed, you have had a paradigm shift in your perception due to taking a drug that changes your brains inhibitor chemicals and allows it to function without socially normalised views that have become rules through repetition. Good for you.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »
As far as skate scene depending on where you live yeah it has changed and won't die anytime soon however you should build something that you'd enjoy and your friends would be into. Fuck whatever those idiots are doing and make the scene you want skate street not parks someone else said and build shit you'd want to rip.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

Team Player

• Rep: -2
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »

"cause some of that shit is fire"

Sounds like you fit right in with them.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
"both skateboarding and you have changed"
Lao-Tseu

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
both, skating has definitely changed. for us 20/30 somethings that came in to it between Misled youth and Yeah Right, its a different world!

but also, we're aging, we're looking at the era of a few years ago with hevaily rose tinted glasses.

kids have always been stupid, older dudes have always known this.

its all the same, even though its all different

NAAAAAAHH SOVENYAAA  MAMABEEESTAYBABA

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »
Maybe try hitting the am shift. Most parks sound kind of sucky on slap though

I’ve been doing this lately and even in the mornings I’ve seen some kinda weird shit happening like a family of roller skaters, a guy on one of those electric wheels playing with his smartphone while rolling around the park, bmxers, people playing loud music, scooter kids, longboarders, etc. I know the park is for everyone but it’s a bit of a mood killer and I wouldn’t wanna be anywhere near there during peak hours.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 10:42:25 AM »
It's funny.  It seems like you've reached the age where you've been around long enough to see the skate scene (and styles) change but not around long enough to realize all of this is just one big cycle.  It's a little different each time, but the overall vibe is basically the same. 

Go back and watch some old Vision skate videos from the mid 80's.  When Vision Street Wear came out back in the day, they had some serious crazy styles and colors.  Dudes were wearing bright colors with big logos, freaking berets with little skulls on em, and multi colored shoes (left foot red, right foot blue) and an extra shirt tucked in the back like a cape (see Hosoi and Gator for examples).  Then Airwalk shoes came out.  Before they kooked out, they actually made some pretty solid skate shoes for a while there.  It wasn't long until the mainstream picked it up.  Hell, I knew Football Jocks in high school who couldn't spell skateboard much less stand on one who wore nothing but Airwalks and had a couple VSW shirts in their rotation.  Swatch is making a comeback now too!  I know I had at least two or three in Junior high.  It's all a big cycle.   I'm 42 and now I'm starting to see stuff i saw as a kid coming out again.   Give it a bit, it'll all come back around eventually.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 10:55:44 AM »
At least they’re not on scooters

Skate_lurker_Rob

• Rep: -48
  • Do it yourself or someone else will fuck it up!
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »
It's funny.  It seems like you've reached the age where you've been around long enough to see the skate scene (and styles) change but not around long enough to realize all of this is just one big cycle.  It's a little different each time, but the overall vibe is basically the same. 

Go back and watch some old Vision skate videos from the mid 80's.  When Vision Street Wear came out back in the day, they had some serious crazy styles and colors.  Dudes were wearing bright colors with big logos, freaking berets with little skulls on em, and multi colored shoes (left foot red, right foot blue) and an extra shirt tucked in the back like a cape (see Hosoi and Gator for examples).  Then Airwalk shoes came out.  Before they kooked out, they actually made some pretty solid skate shoes for a while there.  It wasn't long until the mainstream picked it up.  Hell, I knew Football Jocks in high school who couldn't spell skateboard much less stand on one who wore nothing but Airwalks and had a couple VSW shirts in their rotation.  Swatch is making a comeback now too!  I know I had at least two or three in Junior high.  It's all a big cycle.   I'm 42 and now I'm starting to see stuff i saw as a kid coming out again.   Give it a bit, it'll all come back around eventually.

Seeing the cycle come back around I really really hope skating almost dies of the early 90's, yeah core shops and online sales would still be frequent however the boom of skating is a bit overwhelming.

We all know skaters are not purveyors of sudden changes and inclusive to sketchy things our ways of thinking could be misconstrued as narrow thinking. I would like to think of skating scenes and certain DIY places a bit like Sgt Hartman of Full Metal Jacket to weed out all nonhackers to keep what I think is pure and golden about skating.  No kooks No scooters and pickup your trash if you have tools build something.
Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT I fart on your pillow bare ass

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Kale huh? I took a half teaspoon of turmeric yesterday