Author Topic: Gershon Mosley Jenkem Interview  (Read 23491 times)

Hoeboi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -362
Re: Gershon Mosley Jenkem Interview
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »
yo back in middle school some kid had the brown gershon globes and i really liked them but my local couldn't get them for me so i offered to buy them off my schoolmate. Dude wanted retail for them and had been wearing them for a week already. i ended up buying them. that was the only time in my life that i was truly an idiot. from then on I've lived a life of flawlessness. gershon a salty ass hoeboy, but at least he's speaking his mind.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 04:26:53 PM »
Not read interview yet, but...

Saw him skate in mid 90s at a demo put on by the shop I worked at. A bunch of the mid-90s World/Blind/Etc. guys were there, too. Gershon KILLED it. So consistent. Made the World guys look like tools.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 04:38:15 PM »
I liked it. Someone who has zero ties to the industry will give you the most honest opinion of it.

That Reynolds/Gershon fight has been told numerous times over the years and I feel like its slightly different every time.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
Salty or not, he really is one of the best to ever do it. Mad skills.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 04:39:07 PM »
Q: Damn, I didn’t realize you could make that amount from skating back then.

A: There’s a lot of things people don’t realize. It comes down to, say, nationality, for one. You know how people refer to other humans as black and white? There’s no such thing as black people and there’s no such thing as white people. But in the system—the United States is a corporation—when you plug it in, if it says “Negro, black and colored,” it’s just corporate property.

That's..what? How does that possibly relate to the question?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »

A: There’s a lot of things people don’t realize. It comes down to, say, nationality, for one. You know how people refer to other humans as black and white? There’s no such thing as black people and there’s no such thing as white people. But in the system—the United States is a corporation—when you plug it in, if it says “Negro, black and colored,” it’s just corporate property.

maybe there was more that got edited out?
all i know is if gershon is hostile he got a right to be hostile.

DM

• Rep: 25
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 04:51:20 PM »
Saw Gershon skate G97 in London, he was the best, didnt stop skating. Here's his Toothache deck ad that is clearly about Reynolds http://skately.com/library/ads/blind-skateboards-g-mos-toothache-deck-2002

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 04:52:33 PM »
Wow, he took shots.

Gentleman ninja warlock

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 05:05:07 PM »
Saw Gershon skate G97 in London, he was the best, didnt stop skating. Here's his Toothache deck ad that is clearly about Reynolds http://skately.com/library/ads/blind-skateboards-g-mos-toothache-deck-2002

Damn they got Reynolds in the striped tee

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »
Dylan absolutely had fake arm steez. It was one of his most talked about features when he was on fire. I understand that people want to be respectful when someone passes, but there's no reason to rewrite history on such a petty thing. Even if you personally don't think he was posing, it was very much a well known ongoing debate so don't act like Gershon just made it up. To acknowledge this very small but well known aspect of his skating doesn't take away from how amazing a skater he was.

I feel like the Reynolds story has been relatively consistent in the ways I've heard it. The basic gist is drunk Reynolds talks shit to Gershon. Gershon punches Reynolds in the face. This is the story everyone says. There's no controversy to be found here.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

chilllyboy

• Rep: -10
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
Gershon tells the complete story in the muckmouth interview, and from the way he tells it, he had it out for Reynolds before they even met, and was just looking for a reason to beef. Some lowkey jealous nigga type shit.

It was over a free 1/2 ounce of weed that was given to the Globe group in Australia. Gershon thought that Reynolds smoked more than his fair share, and confronted him about, but it wasn't brought up again until later at a trade show, and again at the City Stars premiere, where the fight occurred. In the original story Maldonado broke up the fight, and Gershon was about to go after him as well. This time I guess it was J. Strickland.

Edit: Also in the Chromball Reynolds interview they reference, the timelines are switched around, and the agenda meeting is told drastically different.

100% agreed dude is salty, and definately on some psych shit. If that edit was an attempt to make the interview more coherent I would hate to hear the actual audio. Answers were beyond tangential and even when he did actually address questions, the response was quickly followed by non-sequiturs. Tough read, but I powered through.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:45:38 PM by chilllyboy »

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »
Damn, I always liked Gershon's skating and he came off as a nice humble dude...all that is ruined now. What a fucking kook. I'm actually surprised the career he was able to have.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2018, 06:19:59 PM »
reynolds should put him on baker and let bygones be bygones. just don't hold out on the weed.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »
I dont see how he’s wrong about Dylan or the Reynolds shit, and I’m a Reynolds fanboy.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »
Dylan absolutely had fake arm steez. It was one of his most talked about features when he was on fire. I understand that people want to be respectful when someone passes, but there's no reason to rewrite history on such a petty thing. Even if you personally don't think he was posing, it was very much a well known ongoing debate so don't act like Gershon just made it up. To acknowledge this very small but well known aspect of his skating doesn't take away from how amazing a skater he was.

People are definitely very touchy about Dylan.

Gersh is just kooking it as always, though. Saying "they" discovered Dylan from modeling or whatever... pure bullshit that he's just making up out of jealousy. He did that a few times in the interview to belittle other people's achievements. Yeah, Gershon was a nice guy back in the day if you met him at a demo or something, but he was also clearly on the spectrum of kookiness.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2018, 08:21:50 PM »
Gershons been living on/off in humboldt for the last year or so. Still skating fucking solid and is one of the most consistent dudes ive seen. Never drops or rolls in to anything, he either ollies/nollies/heelflips or kickflips in when skating transition. Its gnarly........gershon mosley skates by himself and films himself with a tripod in the streets on the regular.... and he likes it that way.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:23:39 PM by gnidraobetaks »

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 08:56:04 PM »
Kickflip front nose on hubba hideout was insane and legendary. I used to joke that drinking a vial of Gershon Mosley's butt sweat was the secret key to immortality.

BISCUITS AND GRAVY

• Rep: -22
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
Fucking laughing at the pearl clutching going on about Dylan and his fake ass steez.  Gershon speaks the truth.  Gershon's 411 profiles was set to a Jamiroquai song.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2018, 10:00:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

People are definitely very touchy about Dylan.

Gersh is just kooking it as always, though. Saying "they" discovered Dylan from modeling or whatever... pure bullshit that he's just making up out of jealousy. He did that a few times in the interview to belittle other people's achievements. Yeah, Gershon was a nice guy back in the day if you met him at a demo or something, but he was also clearly on the spectrum of kookiness.

I think dylan was already a contest kid at the time but mark oblow did meet him on a 'skate kid' shoot for quiksilver. it's in dylan's epicly laterd. gershon's not really  lying
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Issy

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2018, 10:22:12 PM »
I dont see how he’s wrong about Dylan or the Reynolds shit, and I’m a Reynolds fanboy.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2018, 11:08:54 PM »
Yes! Gershon is the shit. A total egomaniac artist kook, but still very much deserves legend status.

Always gotta respect it when someone calls out people in an interview.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2018, 12:12:34 AM »

I think dylan was already a contest kid at the time but mark oblow did meet him on a 'skate kid' shoot for quiksilver. it's in dylan's epicly laterd. gershon's not really  lying

I went on tour with Dylan when he was just a tyke, but already ripping. Gersh tried to frame it like he's just some model kid who "they" made into a skateboarder. Gershon is exaggerating and belittling Dylan in hopes of making his own skating/style more relevant.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 714
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2018, 12:52:16 AM »
Loved the interview, reminds me of Puleo on some things and being generally opinionated. Very respectable.
I disagree about Dylan though. Posing is fake for most people, but for a model it's a natural state. Gershon said it himself, Dylan skated like he knew people were watching, but when you're that beautiful, they actually are.

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2018, 01:14:07 AM »
skate industry took a fat L today

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2018, 01:43:38 AM »
Is he basically calling the A-Team racists? I mean, when he refers to a team of legends that's the first that pops into my mind because of Rodney and MJ, plus when he was on Blind it was going down hill but still had Lavar. Something seems a bit off with that story. One, he's mad because they skated a routine? Well, that's pretty much how Rodney skates. Plus, its a bit weird to hear Rodney called a racist. I mean, the guy helped a lot of different people of so many different backgrounds get a start in the industry. Guys like Kareem, Daewon and Gonz all got companies/creative control at a place he had a significant stake in.

Issy

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2018, 02:14:40 AM »
Honestly, I agree with Moz. That kind of stuff is very monotonous at times. The thing is that the end at the 1980s into the mid-1990s, the industry started shifting to making a lot of just really cheap stuff into the environment.

There were really sketchy business practices, and it wasn’t for the best. It had a negative cause and effect in the long term, didn’t care about anything, and it had gotten out of hand.
World, when Trilogy had come out, was doing the same tired stuff all the time. That's why in hindsight, videos like Welcome To Hell was such a breath of fresh air.

Toy wasn’t doing the same stuff on the same spots, instead of stuff like LA schoolyards, the Santa Monica courthouse, and the Venice pits the whole time.

It was a refreshing break from what had become formulaic. Foundation suffered that big time after Art Bars.

I do wish the Big Brother-like art direction for videos stopped after Shit. Everyone copied it and started to become uninteresting.
The punch and run drunk “tough guy” “hijinks” stuff was just meaningless and toxic. That's why Baker is mind-numbing routine. Stuff like that is so colorless.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2018, 02:37:48 AM »
I went to a globe demo in 2000, that Gershon Mosley skated in. He did five perfect 360 flips in a row down the same four stair with a water bottle in his hand. That blew my mind. He didn't skate much more than that though. The only people that put in an effort at that demo were Chet Thomas and Chad Tim Tim. Chad Fernandez did too, but he didn't land a single trick. It is still a joke among my friends today that he has had a stunt man for all his video parts.

I agree 100percent with Gershon Mosley's oppinion on style. The best style is when people pay more attention to the way skating itself feels than to how they are percieved by other people. Team handsome was/is very obsessed with aestetics, which was a cool antidote to the atheletic side of skating. BUT I always thought there was something very pretentious and uptight about the whole thing. Dudes took themselves way to serious.

Does Gershon Mosley have an appreciation thread? I appreciate him. This is a part he appears to have filmed himself by using a tripod. It was released in 2016 on youtube:

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2018, 05:24:39 AM »

So you can't tell the difference between a statement and a question?  "Damn I didn't realize you could make that amount in skating back then" is not a question bruh.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2018, 06:24:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I went on tour with Dylan when he was just a tyke, but already ripping. Gersh tried to frame it like he's just some model kid who "they" made into a skateboarder. Gershon is exaggerating and belittling Dylan in hopes of making his own skating/style more relevant.

I think it's more likely that Gershon is confused about Dylan's history. It's not a secret that Dylan was acknowledged very early on as someone who had enormous potential to be marketed, which is probably what Gershon is getting at. To think he's intentionally putting Dylan down in order to prop himself up is a stretch.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2018, 06:34:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think it's more likely that Gershon is confused about Dylan's history. It's not a secret that Dylan was acknowledged very early on as someone who had enormous potential to be marketed, which is probably what Gershon is getting at. To think he's intentionally putting Dylan down in order to prop himself up is a stretch.
This.
Gershon-rad, but not exactly eloquent.