Author Topic: bronson bearings are shit  (Read 15797 times)

bo golden

Re: bronson bearings are shit
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »
Bones Swiss don't have to use all of this image marketing, they just make the best bearings on the planet. Undeniable for decades.

truth

ValJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
 I've had the raws for like a year in my 49mm wheels and they still haul ass. Have g3's in my cruiser and they still haul ass too. Went from bones swiss and bones six balls. I have no complaints.

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 09:04:37 AM »
Riding a pair now and even though they haven't blown or seem slow with a wheel spin, riding them feels slower than most. I will always reminisce about riding Bones Ceramics that I got at cost from a shop. I had those fuckers for a good 5 years. Nothing will ever come close to those
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:06:18 AM by victor doom »

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
I guess I was just super lucky.  I've had a set of G3's for about a year now and I can't find anything faster for the money.  Due to Bronsons getting so much hate on here it made me paranoid that maybe they were actually crappy and I just "thought" they were fast or rolling good.  I'm not that good and I'm 43 so I'm not exactly putting my bearings through any extremes (other than holding my fat ass up and rolling it around).   I had Reds before these and after about 8 months they started to seize up (and I clean and lube them at least monthly).  I have Indy blacks and Rush 7's in rotation too.  They are both okay but neither is as fast as the Bronsons.  I'm sure swiss or ceramics are faster and may last longer but they are also way more expensive.  They may lock up on me tomorrow, but so far every other bearing I've tried wasn't as fast.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

The Dope

• Rep: -6
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
We should throw Andale bearings in the shit pile too if they aren't already.

Thought I would switch it up from the Reds and try the Blues, first set lasted like 1-2months before exploding on a powerslide. For some reason I had bought 2 sets and the second set lasted 1 session before the cage came off.

Although the Andale Blues felt a lil smoother and a tad faster, definitely lacked in quality. Was going to try Bronson's but after talking to some shop guys ended up just sticking with the classic Reds.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
Shit, I didn't realize anyone actually rode anything other Bones. I remember playing around with different brands when I was younger, but after I hit 18 it has been nothing but Bones bearings and Bones wheels.

i don't really like putting old dirty bearings in new wheels. and i don't like to clean bearings at all.

Like SHIREFLIP I can't imagine throwing shit away instead of trying to clean or fix it (or donating it).

I saved myself 300 dollars when Apple told me I needed to throw away/replace my phone because of broken pin. I took that shit to the hole in the wall computer store down the road. The owner spent 5 minutes screwing around with it and it works again. He didn't even charge me (fuck you Apple).

This thing is silly, but it is a quick and easy way to clean a set of bearings. They feel pretty much new afterwards.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »
Bronson Raws are the shit and have been on mine for over 8 months now. Best bearing out in my opinion. I wouldn't fuck with the G2s or G3s....I skated both and seemed no better than mini logos. But the raws are the shit.

But if we're having a conversation about bearings... then we're all idiots.

DM

• Rep: 25
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 04:24:52 PM »
The raws are just the G3 without shields, correct me if I am wrong. Riding bearings without shields is going to make your bearings last no time at all. It's well documented, Bones themselves even tell you not to do it.

AllBranFlakes69

• Rep: 1
  • Make fibre your friend
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 05:14:29 PM »
Bought one set of 'em a couple years back... They were total trash.

Dorje Drolo

• Rep: -56
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 07:10:57 PM »
Expand Quote
You're smoking homie. I've skated G3's which were super good and lasted me forever. I'm recently riding the Raws which I've been on same set for past 5 months now, they rule. Haters gonna hate.
[close]

I think it's part of the free market economy that if you pay more than twice as much for a sub-par or, being kind, equivalent product you are allowed to voice your displeasure. It is not hatred, it is an anecdotal cautionary tale.
From your statement "forever" ended 5 months ago?

Nah, G3's got rotated into my morning coffee cruzer when I got the Raw's 5 months back. Ran them for over a year and 1/2 so wanted to give the Raws a go. So ya forever and counting.

As for sub par or equivalent I've broken just about every kind of bearing. Ran swiss for years and broke many sets over the years. Does Swiss suck, no. When you skate you break shit. That's the nature of it. There's a lot of factors at play when it happens. G3 and Raws are both cheaper and just as fast if not faster than Swiss so makes sense to me.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 08:09:01 PM »
Bronson Marketing Co.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »
I swear by Black Panther ceramics. They roll really good and cost a fraction of the price of bones ceramics.

I put them on par with Bones Swiss 6. I can not really decide.  It took a while to get used to silent bearings but that smooth roll is just too good. The BP's are like 20 or 10 dollars cheaper than the swiss 6 though.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 08:59:47 PM »

Skated the ABEC 7s and the Daewon. Absolute trash. They felt sticky, sluggish, and seized to move in a short period of time.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 11:38:41 PM »
The raws are just the G3 without shields, correct me if I am wrong. Riding bearings without shields is going to make your bearings last no time at all. It's well documented, Bones themselves even tell you not to do it.

This is why road vehicles have sealed bearings. You could't market cheap automobile bearings in a hot sauce bottle to car guys. A skateboard bearing, on the other hand, is less than an inch from the ground and needs all the protection from dirt it can get. Search the threads for "kingpin broke I need new trucks" and you'll see that skateboarders aren't the most mechanically minded bunch.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »

The since they lack shields there are no grooves in the race and they supposedly fixed the cage (they did this on rev 2 of the G3s) to not be shit and the Tungsten coating, if that's really a thing, that's it tho....oh and the added "Audible Speed Technology::) ::) ::) ::)

I'll occasionally run a still functional, cleaned and lubed once, set of launch G3s in some larger wheels mainly park use with only minor impacts (not hucking myself); they've never gotten close to the speed of freshly cleaned/lubed or bone dry/dirty Swiss 6 (with shields) but they've also not fallen apart.

If the swiss ever die, which I doubt as I've nearly two full sets to rotate slower ones out, I'll pick up some black panthers, still some of the best out there.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 08:58:23 AM by Xen »

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »
got given some raws and they went to complete shit pretty quick, skated and sounded like they were full of sand. never seemed that special when they were new either. i swear they're like £50 or something stupid as well? i would've been pissed if i'd paid for them
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Nanda Zinger

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »
I dont understand why anyone would ride anything but Swiss. Maybe they are double the price of these wack Bronsons, but they last 4 times as long.

chrisskates808

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2021, 02:25:25 PM »
never was a huge fan of bronson bearings.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2021, 03:29:18 PM »
Expand Quote
You can skate reds for like 9000 years why would you do anything else
[close]

are the reds in the u.s different than the ones in europe?
because reds are complete trash

Gotta agree with this. I have never bought a set of reds without one or two of the bearings being shit right from the start.
Bad quality control. I guess if you buy 2 packs at the same time you might get a good set. Bones Swiss are worth the extra money since they last for years if you clean them.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »
Should have gotten reds but got Bronson recently. I have swiss/swiss 6 in both my boards so whatevs. I got the Bronson's because I like the metal case and I got em for cheap.

Probably would have been better with reds...but that metal case bro. I'm gonna put my weed in there man
The chillest1

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2021, 04:30:06 PM »
I was unfortunately suckered into buying Bronson Raws last year, when it was peak lockdown and they were literally the only bearings in stock (and I was trying to spend money locally, foolishly thinking Covid would be bad for local skateshops). They lasted about 2 weeks before they stopped spinning well. I took them out, cleaned then in Acetone, blasted them clean with compressed air and relubed with sewing machine oil, but it wasn't enough. The lack of shields meant that large particles of debris had pitted the races, then spun like shit forever. I think three or four were salvageable, and they're still in my skate part box in case I need them.

The thing that sucks is that I knew better than to buy something as gimmicky as shieldless bearings, but did it anyway, at like 1/2 the cost of Bones Swiss.

For real, stop fucking with cheap bearings every six months and just buy the good ones.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2021, 05:34:58 PM »
Have been skating Bronson for a few years, every set I've ever got are still rolling or usable. Currently have the Leo Baker G3 and they're great, never had a issue with any.
Cocteau Twins

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2021, 05:55:19 PM »
I've always appreciated Bones Bearings marketing. No signature bearings, no buying a team, and only relying on the quality of their products. Bones Swiss will always be the best bearings made. I love how Vern will put riders for other brands on blast when they ask for a Bones box. Also, Bones Swiss and made in Switzerland. All other bearings that market them as Swiss are made in China. There's no such thing as China Switzerland.

TheDingus

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »
What’s really cool is that if you’re a young girl skater no matter how good or bad you are vern will give you free swiss

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skated the ABEC 7s and the Daewon. Absolute trash. They felt sticky, sluggish, and seized to move in a short period of time.

Okay, I'm pro-Bones/anti-Bronson all the way BUT I've been using an old set of Andale Marc Johnson Swiss bearings in my cruiser wheels for over 3 years now!!!!! I thought for sure that these things would die super fast but I'm pleasantly surprised.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2021, 06:48:53 PM »
Expand Quote
You're smoking homie. I've skated G3's which were super good and lasted me forever. I'm recently riding the Raws which I've been on same set for past 5 months now, they rule. Haters gonna hate.
[close]

>thread full of people with the majority having bad experiences
>HATERS GONNA HATE

Loud Minority

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2021, 07:21:04 PM »
I've always appreciated Bones Bearings marketing. No signature bearings, no buying a team, and only relying on the quality of their products. Bones Swiss will always be the best bearings made.

I also feel like every time I've ever seen a pro skater setting up their own board, if they lack a bearing sponsor, they are using Bones Swiss presumably purchased at retail.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2021, 09:48:45 PM »
Bronsons aren’t as bad as people are making them to seem. No, they’re not Swiss tier, but they are definitely better than reds. I’ve had some G3’s for almost two years and they are fast as can be (with minimal maintenance). I also have a set of G2’s on my cruiser that have been going strong for a good year and a half. I can’t speak on the longevity of them, because I’ve had some Swiss last me 6+ years. If you need a mid-level bearing that’s better than reds, but don’t want to spend the money on Swiss, G3’s are a solid option. Definitely worth the $5-$10 over reds.

Reds < G2 < G3 < Swiss

Grip Jobs

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2021, 10:26:57 PM »
I got thrown a pair of G3’s right when they came out in maybe 2017 and rode them for a couple years. On my backup board now and all still work well.

Slap hates these bearings because they’re branding is the least shalom most redneck shit. 

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2021, 05:59:59 AM »
I got thrown a pair of G3’s right when they came out in maybe 2017 and rode them for a couple years. On my backup board now and all still work well.

Slap hates these bearings because they’re branding is the least shalom most redneck shit. 

its because i only hear good things about them seldomly. like 1 or 2/10. personal experience is key sure but if it seems like a freak accident to get a set that doesnt freeze up in a month then probably not even gonna bother. i do like the little tin case though its a bonus