Author Topic: The Gonz is weird  (Read 9720 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1370
Re: The Gonz is weird
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2018, 08:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
To me he upholds the idea of originality and individuality that skating needs. Like if skating was just comprised of barney bros who didn't create art, it would suck. He's part of the antidote to this kind of mainstream pressure - how many people who don't skate know how deeply intertwined it is with art? I doubt many do.
[close]

Is it really an antidote if he's on the payroll of one of the biggest most mainstream corporations in the world?

That's a valid claim - at least Adidas has been supportive of his art shows and projects - but my comment was more geared toward his whole oeuvre. I'm betting people associate skating with all the bullshit TV shows they've seen and the X-Games, and my point is to imagine if that's all skateboarding consisted of. Gonz has pushed back against that tide.

Censored

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2018, 03:31:40 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbD9ga3fbDA

Ill always love the gonz but this is just sad now

bo golden

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2018, 04:24:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Calling bullshit on those who say they were around when he was in his prime (starting on Vision) and then saying they "just didn't like him or get him."  No one at the time loved Natas and didn't get Gonz, everyone loved both.  He was hands down the most innovative skater of his time (not even close) and was idolized by absolutely everyone-everytime you saw him he was doing things that either no one had done, or no one had done like that.  There seems to be kind of a revisionist history on Slap by younger people who minimize his importance because they know weird Grandpa Gonz only.
[close]

dont really understand how you can say peoples opinions are "bullshit".  Just because you liked both dudes doesnt mean everyone did.  IMO, Natas looked cooler and had better style and I liked him way more.  He rode for SMA and Gonz rode for fucking Vision.  Then Gonz "quit" and i was a young skate rat without a clue and said fuck that guy.  I know it's silly but I dont understand why you think everyone liked those guys equally.

But to be fair, I never saw Video Days when it came out.  I didnt see that video until years later and by that time if it wasnt a Crailtap company i couldnt care less.
[close]
If you didn't see Video Days when it came out you were either too young or a kook or not that into skating.  People didn't stop talking about that video for years.  You kinda made my point for me.  Everybody who was old enough and was seriously loved skating was basically only talking about BOTH Gonz and Natas.  It was that or watching Bill Danforth do bonelesses or whatever.

Guess i was just a young kook that was super into skating that wasn't able to get all the cool videos, you fucking asshole!

feedmeseymour

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2018, 05:28:01 AM »
they just had to use that same coconut records song...
i feel like i just watched a remastered starwars with a digital creatures instead of puppets.

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
his influence on and contribution to skateboarding is undeniable but man, I just don't want to watch anything he does anymore, and I'm not going to pretend like it's amazing

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2018, 09:59:40 AM »
Im asking him for a griptape doodle if I ever meet him.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbD9ga3fbDA

Ill always love the gonz but this is just sad now

this video is like watching a reverse emperor's new clothes

Doroteo Arango

• Rep: -26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »
edgy

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2018, 11:51:51 AM »
Love to watch his skating but I do find it painfully awkward anytime he opens his mouth.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »