Author Topic: Age old debate... is it a nosegrind, or overcrook?  (Read 2910 times)

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -11
Re: Age old debate... is it a nosegrind, or overcrook?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2018, 07:36:22 AM »
Nosegrind = no pinch and no portion of the deck's nose touching (think nose manual while grinding); at least that's how it should be.

A straight on grind on the front truck, no pinch and with the nose touching is nothing other than sloppy (same goes for those tail/heel drag 5-0s).

OK so nosegrinds on round rails don't exist then? Or...

TooManyPros

• Rep: 4
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 07:52:37 AM »
Nosegrind = no pinch and no portion of the deck's nose touching (think nose manual while grinding); at least that's how it should be.

A straight on grind on the front truck, no pinch and with the nose touching is nothing other than sloppy (same goes for those tail/heel drag 5-0s).

OK so nosegrinds on round rails don't exist then? Or...

Nose grinds were performed before round rails were even though of as an obstacle.

Nosepicks ------> nosegrinds

Like a 5-0, nose grinds are/were balance tricks, no nose (or in the case of a 5-0, the tail) touching; to your point about round rails, are you saying touching the rail is needed? It's certainly become acceptable (just like sloppy 5-0s) probably because A) rails are longer and this provides stability and B) it's easier to heel drag on 5-0sand/or put your nose down.

No touching NGs can be done, however.

http://theberrics.com/muckmouth-dan-peterka/

“Actually, I was trying to cross over a double-sided curb or ledge via a nosegrind. And the only way that it was possible was through that method. Like a noseslide / noseblunt crossover. Me and Eric lived at the H-Street house during that same time period and we often skated together. He was there when it was birthed, and has claims to it as well.”

https://riders.co/en/skate/grinds/frontside-nosegrind

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:12:32 AM by TooManyPros »

dpelevator

• Rep: -2
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2018, 07:53:34 AM »
Front overcrooks dont exist.

if he does the opposite and approaches fs and pinches a crook on the other side is that not a fs overcrook? If a reg footer ollied over and crooked the outside edge of Clipper that would just be a nosegrind?

In this scenario, since clipper is a ledge, if someone ollied over the ledge (frontside) to crooks on the other side as so,

it would be called an ollie over to bs crooks. Since darrel stanton ollied over clipper into a front blunt even though he approached backside.

FS-OverKOOK

• Rep: -9
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »

if he does the opposite and approaches fs and pinches a crook on the other side is that not a fs overcrook? If a reg footer ollied over and crooked the outside edge of Clipper that would just be a nosegrind?

In this scenario, since clipper is a ledge, if someone ollied over the ledge (frontside) to crooks on the other side as so,

it would be called an ollie over to bs crooks. Since darrel stanton ollied over clipper into a front blunt even though he approached backside.

or a fs overcrook. he approached fs and the over means he went opposite side to crook. nobody says backside crook. its crook and front crook. The DS clip is very smooth but I would not call that a true blunt...no lock in.

dpelevator

• Rep: -2
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »

or a fs overcrook. he approached fs and the over means he went opposite side to crook. nobody says backside crook. its crook and front crook. The DS clip is very smooth but I would not call that a true blunt...no lock in.

Yeah, I think it would be fair to call the clipper situation a fs overcrook. But that is such a rarely done trick and is more an exception to the rule. Maybe it would be safer to say fs overcrooks on rails dont exist.

And agree about the "bs" being implied when talking about a crooks unless otherwise noted so I should have said ollie over to crooks. Was more pointing out that when you ollie over a ledge to grind the outside of it, the fs/bs often gets reversed when naming the trick likely just to paint a clearer picture of what the trick looks like.

If someone did the trick I shittily photoshopped above on clipper, and I described it as an ollie over to crooks I think it would paint a more accurate picture of it than if I called it a fs overcrook.

As for Darrels trick, I think ollie over to front blunt would be the best way to describe that trick and whomever you were talking to would be able to picture what you mean.

its basically the non-nose version of this trick: https://skateboarding.transworld.net/features/how-to-ollie-over-to-noseblunt-with-jt-aultz/

Matthew_James

• Rep: -154
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
I think the real question is how much the bonus multiplier would be if you kickflip nose manual nollie boneless into it...
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 4
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »
Forrest Kirby Nose Grinds

https://youtu.be/WzIpIr4Uuss?t=78
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:04:18 PM by TooManyPros »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »
On the bunt they mention Bobby D making a vow to keep his nose grinds straight......