Author Topic: Just returning to skating after 11 years off...  (Read 2219 times)

HugeBodBoyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Just returning to skating after 11 years off...
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 06:49:36 AM »
I came back after 24 years, so it was weird when everyone was into Ventures again and football shaped boards were "niche".

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2021, 08:32:14 AM »
Op the Grosso love letter series will be your new source of friendly info on the culture and current affairs of skateboarding.

The Chromeball Incident, Epically Laterd and Quartersnacks are your friends too. Please, disregard whatever you read on Slap or Thrasher, most of us are grumpy and don't actually skate at all.

Don't miss out on Max Palmer and Tom Knox, they are our most important saints, you will be blessed with the most beautiful footage. When in doubt you may simply reply to whatever threads with Fred Gall. Fred Gall is the right answer to all questions and mysteries of the Universe.

Whatever you do, I beg you to not go on the Bam Margera thread, your brain will hurt non stop for 7 days if you do so. You have been warned.

DIY's, curb skating and being nice to others are trending. No complys and wallies are temporarily frowned upon. Still, all hail Cardiel, always.

RIP Phelps, Grosso and many other angels.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 08:40:44 AM »
wallies are not frowned upon

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2021, 08:41:21 AM »
Also tonnes of companies are reissuing old decks. So as I'm 44 also (as of yesterday) all the decks we started on you can find now. Some dudes like Erick Winkoski skate them at an insane level.
Also Slappy's are cool again and not just for old dudes like us.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 10:20:24 AM »

I thought wallies were illegal in 2021

LegoPimpCup

• Rep: 4
  • deeez nuuuts
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2021, 06:47:10 AM »
Dang- you all brought the fire, those clips are dank, dudes are killing it rn! Also; def not a troll thread

Thanks y'all- yeah all I knew about skating in the last decade was some stuff skate friends would post on FB like random Battles at the Berrics, some Street League highlights, that's about it.

In the last two months have watched a ton of older videos that I loved (Fully Flared, Skate More, etc.) and then a few newer ones- the Vice season of King of the Road 2015 was dope; kind of linked together my previous skating stint with some guys I remembered like Billy Marks, Jaws and Justin Eldridge and then all these newer dudes that rip- Elijah Berle, Dan Lu, Collin P, etc. More or less "bridged the gap" so to speak. 

I guess the industry has changed a lot too- bummed Supra is no longer around, or Fourstar even. Plus all the dudes that have aged out and started their own companies.

And I saw that Jake had died- I used to see him walking his dog up at Redwood Park in Oakland when I was living there. Dude has done a fuckton for the sport, love him or hate him he's had some huge influence over the sport and growing up Thrasher was kind of our bible.

I love the newer ethos of "be nice", dudes have been super kind and accepting at the local skate parks- when I was living in the Bay (2006-16) we'd roll up to a skatepark and dudes would be laying down the heavy ill vibes, like "fuck you new guys at our spot". Alameda park was def the chillest tho.

Feels different now, kind of like how it felt when we were kids and we'd cut school and go skate Love or City Hall (talking like 1988-91 era) and the older dudes would take us under their wing, dudes like Jamie Godfrey, Adam Wallcavage, Ricky Oyola, Matt Reason, etc. I remember skating starting to progress to a place where I was like "I'm just jumping down a 5-stair and these dudes are all nollie heel nose slide shuv out" haha

Keep ripping y'all   
tight

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2021, 06:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t want to live in a world where slappies are legal and wallies are outlawed
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2021, 07:39:10 AM »
Just watch every episode of Love Letters and Skateline NBD, and you'll be all caught up.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2021, 08:02:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don’t want to live in a world where slappies are legal and wallies are outlawed

I heard no more than 2 wallies per line is fine if at least one is switch or late shuv out

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2021, 08:12:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

But i like both

cky enthusiast

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2021, 08:26:14 AM »
Dang- you all brought the fire, those clips are dank, dudes are killing it rn! Also; def not a troll thread

Thanks y'all- yeah all I knew about skating in the last decade was some stuff skate friends would post on FB like random Battles at the Berrics, some Street League highlights, that's about it.

In the last two months have watched a ton of older videos that I loved (Fully Flared, Skate More, etc.) and then a few newer ones- the Vice season of King of the Road 2015 was dope; kind of linked together my previous skating stint with some guys I remembered like Billy Marks, Jaws and Justin Eldridge and then all these newer dudes that rip- Elijah Berle, Dan Lu, Collin P, etc. More or less "bridged the gap" so to speak. 

I guess the industry has changed a lot too- bummed Supra is no longer around, or Fourstar even. Plus all the dudes that have aged out and started their own companies.

And I saw that Jake had died- I used to see him walking his dog up at Redwood Park in Oakland when I was living there. Dude has done a fuckton for the sport, love him or hate him he's had some huge influence over the sport and growing up Thrasher was kind of our bible.

I love the newer ethos of "be nice", dudes have been super kind and accepting at the local skate parks- when I was living in the Bay (2006-16) we'd roll up to a skatepark and dudes would be laying down the heavy ill vibes, like "fuck you new guys at our spot". Alameda park was def the chillest tho.

Feels different now, kind of like how it felt when we were kids and we'd cut school and go skate Love or City Hall (talking like 1988-91 era) and the older dudes would take us under their wing, dudes like Jamie Godfrey, Adam Wallcavage, Ricky Oyola, Matt Reason, etc. I remember skating starting to progress to a place where I was like "I'm just jumping down a 5-stair and these dudes are all nollie heel nose slide shuv out" haha

Keep ripping y'all   

fuck yeah. roger browne era. sickest time in philly skating (spikes/early sub zero era).

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2021, 08:43:56 AM »
Have you been briefed on Big Mamas?  That should probably have been first.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.