Author Topic: Best way to treat a sprain?  (Read 930 times)

I.C. Weiner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Best way to treat a sprain?
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:28:19 AM »
Fucked my ankle up really bad at the park the other day, just wanna get back on the board. Any good tips / home remedies for sprains?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: Best way to treat a sprain?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:37:47 AM »
rest ice compression elevation

feedmeseymour

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 05:59:56 AM »
you have one of the best names on here.

get a bucket big enough for your foot, fill it with warm water and like half a bag of epsom salt, and soak your foot. the point of it is there should be enough salt to make your foot kinda float in the water. im sure theres other things behind why this helps but i dont know specifics, i just know it works alot and brings back movement quickly and relaxes the muscles.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:02:46 AM »
first you need to rest untill all of the pain is gone. Ice and elevating the foot will help with the pain and the swelling. Don't skate again until you are completly pain free. You will be back at 100 percent alot quicker that way. I wouldn't even hang out at the skatepark after an injury because I would end up rolling arround. Start again slowly and strengthen your ancle so you won't reinjure it. 

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 06:35:36 AM »

get a bucket big enough for your foot, fill it with warm water and like half a bag of epsom salt, and soak your foot. the point of it is there should be enough salt to make your foot kinda float in the water. im sure theres other things behind why this helps but i dont know specifics, i just know it works alot and brings back movement quickly and relaxes the muscles.

this plus a second bucket of ice water and alternate between the two, something like a few minutes of warm then a minute of cold if you can tolerate that long, or just 30 seconds. it helps reduce swelling and get blood flowing to the area. then rehab exercising, stretching and massaging. there will most likely be muscles not just in the injured area but also further up your leg that need massaging and stretching.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 06:38:37 AM »
^ true

sounds dumb but i didnt know how icing worked, it causes old blood to leave the area then new fresh blood comes in that helps heal way faster. very scientific explanation i know.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 06:54:06 AM »

Matt Groening has ingrained himself in the DNA of anyone born between 1980 and 2002. Simpsons and Futurama references are instinctual now.

Anyway the answer to the topic is Tiger Balm.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 07:02:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this plus a second bucket of ice water and alternate between the two, something like a few minutes of warm then a minute of cold if you can tolerate that long, or just 30 seconds. it helps reduce swelling and get blood flowing to the area. then rehab exercising, stretching and massaging. there will most likely be muscles not just in the injured area but also further up your leg that need massaging and stretching.

I wouldn't do that with a sprain. It will increase blood flow which will increase the swelling. The treatment you suggest is really good for muscle soreness though.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 07:21:29 AM »
First order of recovery is often ibuprofen. 800 mg in the am and 800 in the eve for two days, then 600 mg in the am and 600 in the evening for 2 days, then 400/400, 200/200.

R.I.C.E. isn't exactly the best method. From having gone through PT for issues with my ankle they would massage the injury after a bit of heat. Soft tissue work is best. Also after some time blood flow restriction exercise did wonders. Basically they would wrap my ankle super tight with something called a voodoo band, but you can use a bike inner-tube. Wrap it while maintaining a neutral position, and wrap it pretty much as tight as possible. Then do roughly 10-20 squats, and quickly unwrap it. This flushes out inflammation, then lets new blood rush into the area to promote healing. Do a few sets of this, then ice it down for 10 minutes. Do this for a few weeks and it should help.

I'm far from an expert, I've just been going to PT a lot for various injuries over the course of many years. The above is just some of what was done for me when I suffered a pretty bad rolled ankle.

I.C. Weiner

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »
first you need to rest untill all of the pain is gone. Ice and elevating the foot will help with the pain and the swelling. Don't skate again until you are completly pain free. You will be back at 100 percent alot quicker that way. I wouldn't even hang out at the skatepark after an injury because I would end up rolling arround. Start again slowly and strengthen your ancle so you won't reinjure it.

My friend's back from Canada on the 7th of september, hoping to be back on the board by then. My main worry is a new job I'm starting this weekend, swollen foot won't look good with a suit and tie

I.C. Weiner

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 07:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i was gonna do the ice bucket method, but i also managed to gash my foot open. Needed stitches. I'm worried that soaking it in water will infect or irritate the wound :-\ gonna wait a few days for that.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »

I don't know, I feel like most of my sprains never really healed. Then again, I'm an idiot.

Pigeon

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 07:58:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i was gonna do the ice bucket method, but i also managed to gash my foot open. Needed stitches. I'm worried that soaking it in water will infect or irritate the wound :-\ gonna wait a few days for that.
Put ice in two separate bags and cover up your ankle with them. Just replace your bandages/gauze afterwards. Also, use CBD balm, use some Arnica gel or Tiger Balm, and have a couple shots of espresso. Ibuprofen also helps, if you don’t use it often.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
rest ice compression elevation

seconding team RICE
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.