Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 142 times)

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
Boxing
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
Anyone on here into boxing?  not watching it, but actually doing it?  I've been taking a bag work classes (little bit of shoulder taps) twice a week and I have fallen deeply in love with it.  its unreal how fun working the bag can be when you have the right instruction. I've gone enough that i went and bought my own gear.  feel free to share tips combos and circuits that enjoy it.

rfox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
Re: Boxing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:42:50 AM »
i have done it on and off for years.  I prefer muay thai just because of the combination of everything and complexity but really enjoy boxing too.  plus the fitness aspect is insane.  it is really good for staying in surfing/paddling shape when there aren't any waves.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
I'm definitely more on the kickboxing side of things, but I enjoy the heck out of boxing as well. I had a bad ankle roll sparring kickboxing back in February that's been incredibly slow to heal so I've just been boxing for like the last 6 months or so. It's done a ton of good for my hands.

The heavy bag is great for power and endurance, but my favorite is the double ended bag. Never gets boring and keeps you engaged such that you don't develop a lot of the bad habits you can with the heavy bag. Great for coordination and head movement.

Tortfeasor, are you going to just stay doing bag work or will you eventually start doing a little sparring? It's scary to start but extremely valuable in my opinion. Seeing what works and what doesn't, etc.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
ill throw in kicks and elbows when im doing solo bag work but its not the classes i take. I also oddly enjoy throwing a headbutt.

i will spar but i want to work on my footwork and guard a little more.  one thing the trainer does a lot of is shoulder taps where you just try to tag the other persons shoulder while not getting tapped.  last night i might have gotten a little too into and banged this guy a little harder than he was expecting.