Author Topic: New Zealand  (Read 3038 times)

Andmoreagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
New Zealand
« on: August 21, 2018, 06:44:13 AM »
Heading to NZ in January. I'll be on the North Island for a bit (New Plymouth and Wellingotn) and then I'm heading to the South Island, where I'll mostly be staying in Queenstown. Going w my GF who's fam is from NZ, so I'll be pretty busy but I should have some time to skate. What's good?

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
Re: New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
wellington is rad, has a sick park with a nice bowl, locals seemed nice, good bars around!
i only had three days in Wellington but i enjoyed it!
bar called mighty mighty was sick! dunno if its still their, had a sick garage/punk band playing that night!
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:44:37 AM »
i lived on the north island for a little while but everything i know is prob too far north for you (aukland, waikato, taupo, Reinga, Raglan) but if you have the time Rere Waterslide is fucking amazing.  white water rafting int rotorua is just incredible. napier is beautiful as well and those are a little more south.  Tararua Forest  which is near you has some pretty amazing hikes if you are up for something a little strenous.   
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 06:44:45 AM »
Hell yeah thanks guys. Rotorua is definitely on our list.

Washed Up Guy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 09:41:33 PM »
You'll need a car.

Ham Sandwiches

• Rep: -5
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 03:10:12 AM »
Be sure to check out Christchurch while you're down in the South Island if you can. Washington Reserve is worth a look if you've got time to skate, and the city itself is full of history and touristy things.
you know you can get laid, see music, socialize, talk shit, and not be a nazi at the same time right?

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 06:59:24 AM »
Lived in Auckland for 5 years. Victoria park downtown is the shit. Manukau park is good also. Papatoetoe park is whack. Must hit up the new Lynn bowl and the Hamilton bowl. Also a good one in Tauranga. This should help you out.

http://www.skateparkhunter.com/skateparks/new-zealand/

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »
Hokitika.
-gloworm Dell
-sock museum.
Enjoy!

Andmoreagain

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 07:42:24 AM »
Yo thanks for all the info guys! We will def be renting a car. Would it be a good idea to get a 4x4? Seems we'll be traveling in some fairly rural areas.

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 01:40:23 AM »
if you can afford it get a 4 x 4 man may aswell.

Wellington has an awesome street skating scene and heaps of hills if your into bombing. when your in wellington search the Tree Tops diy park on google, they have just re done the concrete and its a good place to drink beer. you can sometimes see the monkeys in the zoo from there to, pretty trippy.

I assume your coming in the summertime but the South island is cold as fuck otherwise.

Auckland has awesome spots to but i spend more time in Wellington, closer and i prefer the vibe.  I live in Napier though and as that guy said up a few posts its a cool little town, not a huge amount of spots but the ones we have can be nice.

if your coming when its warm youll enjoy it where ever you are man

If you go to Napier go to the Marine Parade, and there is four small street quarter pipes with really nice flat. its chill. before hand grab a coffee or beer if its that time

ShitNuts

• Rep: -2
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 10:11:38 PM »
If you're in Auckland, a day out at Piha beach is a must.

Don't sleep on putting on sunscreen cause the sun is harsh out here in the summer.
https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/videos/87-why-are-uv-levels-high-in-new-zealand-summer

JumpManShorty

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 05:57:38 PM »
If you're in Auckland, a day out at Piha beach is a must.

Don't sleep on putting on sunscreen cause the sun is harsh out here in the summer.
https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/videos/87-why-are-uv-levels-high-in-new-zealand-summer

And don't drown at piha :/

Andmoreagain

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 08:22:22 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys! I grew up on the ocean and am pretty good at not drowning but I'll be extra careful if I go to Piha.

I have a question specific to Milford Sound.. My GF is very against driving out there as she thinks the roads will be sketchy. She wants to take one of the coach buses out there, which is really not the way I like to travel. How bad are the roads in summer? I watched a few videos and they look fine.

louie the taurus

• Rep: -119
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 11:06:38 AM »
I drove to Milford Sound with a campervan in January 2017, no problem at all. The drive there was really beautiful.
Seeing snowy mountains and going for a sunny swim in a lake within a couple of hours was quite cool, you'll enjoy the view for sure.
I recommend just stopping on the side of the road and walking around if you're in a nice area. There are some really cool places to be discovered!
Happened to have a lot of bad luck in Christchurch somehow, but the city itself is definitely interesting and offers dope spots for skateboarding and urban exploring. I also enjoyed Kaikoura.

Random story: we picked up a random lonely hitchhiker along the way. He told us he was going from town to town, sleeping under park benches or in public toilets, looking for a dude who had stolen his car all over the south island to fuck him up badly. He suspected his brother-in-law, who had kicked him out of his house before or something. The dude we picked up revealed himself as being a meth dealer and addict who has, among other things, been in jail for beating up his uncle at his dad's funeral. Some really dodgy shit.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:09:57 AM by louie the taurus »

Andmoreagain

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
I drove to Milford Sound with a campervan in January 2017, no problem at all. The drive there was really beautiful.
Seeing snowy mountains and going for a sunny swim in a lake within a couple of hours was quite cool, you'll enjoy the view for sure.
I recommend just stopping on the side of the road and walking around if you're in a nice area. There are some really cool places to be discovered!
Happened to have a lot of bad luck in Christchurch somehow, but the city itself is definitely interesting and offers dope spots for skateboarding and urban exploring. I also enjoyed Kaikoura.

Random story: we picked up a random lonely hitchhiker along the way. He told us he was going from town to town, sleeping under park benches or in public toilets, looking for a dude who had stolen his car all over the south island to fuck him up badly. He suspected his brother-in-law, who had kicked him out of his house before or something. The dude we picked up revealed himself as being a meth dealer and addict who has, among other things, been in jail for beating up his uncle at his dad's funeral. Some really dodgy shit.

Yo thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear haha. No way do I want to take a coach bus with a bunch of old people. Might avoid sketchy hitchhikers though.

JumpManShorty

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 06:23:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yo thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear haha. No way do I want to take a coach bus with a bunch of old people. Might avoid sketchy hitchhikers though.

I haven't been to the South Island but I can't image them being any more sketchy than east cape.

Just a lot of winding corners, so go slow when you need to, listen to the speed signs on corners. It'll be sweet in the summer.

There might be a lot of traffic cops cause we always have Chinese tourists running stop signs in the South Island. So it's a good thing the cops are there