Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 1120 times)

tortfeasor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
Boxing
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
Anyone on here into boxing?  not watching it, but actually doing it?  I've been taking a bag work classes (little bit of shoulder taps) twice a week and I have fallen deeply in love with it.  its unreal how fun working the bag can be when you have the right instruction. I've gone enough that i went and bought my own gear.  feel free to share tips combos and circuits that enjoy it.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Boxing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 11:42:50 AM »
i have done it on and off for years.  I prefer muay thai just because of the combination of everything and complexity but really enjoy boxing too.  plus the fitness aspect is insane.  it is really good for staying in surfing/paddling shape when there aren't any waves.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
I'm definitely more on the kickboxing side of things, but I enjoy the heck out of boxing as well. I had a bad ankle roll sparring kickboxing back in February that's been incredibly slow to heal so I've just been boxing for like the last 6 months or so. It's done a ton of good for my hands.

The heavy bag is great for power and endurance, but my favorite is the double ended bag. Never gets boring and keeps you engaged such that you don't develop a lot of the bad habits you can with the heavy bag. Great for coordination and head movement.

Tortfeasor, are you going to just stay doing bag work or will you eventually start doing a little sparring? It's scary to start but extremely valuable in my opinion. Seeing what works and what doesn't, etc.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
ill throw in kicks and elbows when im doing solo bag work but its not the classes i take. I also oddly enjoy throwing a headbutt.

i will spar but i want to work on my footwork and guard a little more.  one thing the trainer does a lot of is shoulder taps where you just try to tag the other persons shoulder while not getting tapped.  last night i might have gotten a little too into and banged this guy a little harder than he was expecting.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1575
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 11:06:42 PM »
Tyson fight is coming up vs. Jones.  I really think Tyson has this (I like a comeback story) but haven't seen Jones's training.

Any PALS with an affinity for boxing have insight on the fight or predictions?

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 11:43:03 PM »
Been boxing about 5 years, got a bag in my apt
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 03:09:59 AM »
Tyson fight is coming up vs. Jones.  I really think Tyson has this (I like a comeback story) but haven't seen Jones's training.

I feel like it's impossible to predict this, but I would go for Jones by a boring decision.  Jones never stopped boxing and has been coaching the entire time he's been out of the spotlight.  I can't imagine Tyson's cardio lasting very long.

That being said, Tyson has a size advantage and power is the last thing to go with age.  George Foreman kept his ko power late in life.  I also think Roy's knees are shot(watch that recent video of him jogging).

I don't think it will be a very exciting fight, but I'm curious as is everyone else.  Both of these men were some of the most blessed athletically of any sport and fell apart the second they aged out of their speed.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 09:34:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel like it's impossible to predict this, but I would go for Jones by a boring decision.  Jones never stopped boxing and has been coaching the entire time he's been out of the spotlight.  I can't imagine Tyson's cardio lasting very long.

That being said, Tyson has a size advantage and power is the last thing to go with age.  George Foreman kept his ko power late in life.  I also think Roy's knees are shot(watch that recent video of him jogging).

I don't think it will be a very exciting fight, but I'm curious as is everyone else.  Both of these men were some of the most blessed athletically of any sport and fell apart the second they aged out of their speed.

I got Jones for shure unless Tyson knocks him out in the first two rounds, which technically would be against the rules.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 10:00:09 AM »
I do lots of BJJ and train a bit of Muay Thai on the side strictly for staying in shape. I really like the training aspect of it, like hitting pads, drilling and all the cardio stuff, however I rarely spar. When I do, it’s very light sparring with someone I know and trust. 

Turns out I don’t like being punched in the head and kicked in the liver. Also, I have had a few concussions over the years and value what’s left of my brain.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 11:36:40 AM »
The fight was not surprising, Tyson was always 2 gears ahead of RJJ just going off their training videos. RJJ was gassed before the first round ended and Tyson barely broke a sweat lmao. If RJJ wasn't clinching for 8 rounds straight I think Tyson would've destroyed him. You could tell RJJ was in pain from those body shots even during post-fight. It'll be interesting to see where Tyson goes from here. I don't think he has the stamina to go full rounds with a younger fighter but he definitely still has power and movement. Fuck, put him up against Jake Paul that would've been more interesting than last night.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 12:53:58 PM »
anyone have any experience making their own heavy bag? I haven't used one since I was a teenager, but I'm building a ghetto ass gym in my covered patio -broomstick pull up bar, milk crate for dips, ropes for body weight rows, magnetic trainer for bike, propane space heater, greenhouse plastic for walls- all I need is a bag. I'm thinking a Navy seaman's bag filled with sand and wrapped in duct/gorilla tape will do the job. Any thoughts?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 02:06:31 PM »
anyone have any experience making their own heavy bag? I haven't used one since I was a teenager, but I'm building a ghetto ass gym in my covered patio -broomstick pull up bar, milk crate for dips, ropes for body weight rows, magnetic trainer for bike, propane space heater, greenhouse plastic for walls- all I need is a bag. I'm thinking a Navy seaman's bag filled with sand and wrapped in duct/gorilla tape will do the job. Any thoughts?

Just buy one. Your hands will thank you later.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1575
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 07:48:21 PM »
Check out Craigslist if it exists where you live.  I got a proper heavy bag for free. I had to buy a stand for about a 100 but sold them both together.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 09:53:55 AM »
Check out Craigslist if it exists where you live.  I got a proper heavy bag for free. I had to buy a stand for about a 100 but sold them both together.

ya, I've been looking. I tried contacting some dude with a $50 wave master but haven't heard back. I'm not trying to drop 2 or 3 bills right away, gotta see what my level of commitment to the work out is, you know?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 03:02:28 PM »
I'm thinking of starting boxing to recover after the divorce. But I live in a tiny apartment now with a bunch of roommates. Won't it freak them out?

Maybe look for a gym with a decent trainer and learn it the proper way. Won't pick up as many bad habits and will have a more focused approach. Also won't have to deal with 'freaking out' your roommates. If you actually want to box you can't really teach yourself with online videos but if you just want to do it for exercise and letting out stress then that's another thing.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 03:12:42 PM »
I'm also going to use this thread to just post about general boxing instead of doing it in the MMA thread like I was before.

Pretty epic war from last weekend:

Good fight this upcoming weekend too. A total fucking terminator; Subriel Matias vs Jeremias Ponce a hard-hitting Argentinian. Should be an action-packed affair but I expected Matias to win by knockout. He's only ever won by knockout... Sadly he killed an upcoming prospect in the ring in 2019 and it kind of messed his head up but he got back on track and even avenged his only loss in brutal fashion. Guy has such a crazy engine on him. Definitely my favourite action fighter.

Some highlights from his last bouts