Author Topic: My Experiences in Skateboarding- Jenkem Article  (Read 20775 times)

whaaaaat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
Re: My Experiences in Skateboarding- Jenkem Article
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »
That was a pretty good read.  Obviously she was super conscious of towing the line between calling shit out that she's experienced and trying not to come off over-zealous and finger pointy - which is probably hard to do.  I think she did good and it's a worthwhile read for our culture.  I'm only (only?) 32 and only ever saw a couple of girls skate growing up.  It's amazing how quickly the scene has seemed to grow the past few years.  To me, it's one of the most exciting thing about skateboarding right now.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:15 AM »
I imagine this sort of shit happens when you have teenagers and the opposite sex around though
Really I assume it’s kinda across all sports like the olympics village is not full of sex,innuendo and as grabbing.. so really I don’t think the skateboard is the problem

I missed the part where she blamed the skateboard.  Not sure 'everybody else does it too' is a good excuse.  In fact, I started skating in large part because it was something everybody else was not doing.  I like skateboarding being different than mainstream culture, and this is a place where we could stand to be a lot more different

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
If your response to this is "well I got hazed when I started skating so I should have the right to haze others" then quit and go pledge a frat. Probably more up your alley.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
Is that the same Claire in the comments?

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »
I imagine this sort of shit happens when you have teenagers and the opposite sex around though
Really I assume it’s kinda across all sports like the olympics village is not full of sex,innuendo and as grabbing.. so really I don’t think the skateboard is the problem

this is definitely not limited to teenagers.

GET BORN

• Rep: 1
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »

Count it

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 10:49:07 AM »
It's almost as if most skaters are piles of shit

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
perversion amongst skateboarders is definitely an issue. just click over to the two felons thread and read all the disgusting vile comments that you guys are posting and laughing about regarding the guys lovely beautiful wife. y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. horrible piggish behavior i say. shame on you.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 11:39:20 AM »
perversion amongst skateboarders is definitely an issue. just click over to the two felons thread and read all the disgusting vile comments that you guys are posting and laughing about regarding the guys lovely beautiful wife. y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. horrible piggish behavior i say. shame on you.

Can't wait to kook you.

iforgotmyoldusername

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »
I like skateboarding being different than mainstream culture
lol

Hoeboi

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can't wait to kook you.

my guy, if thats what you got to look forward to in your sad meaningful pathetic life then i truly feel sorry for you and may god have mercy on your soul. hoeboy

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
i don't recall any stories like this from any of the female pros. i'm not calling this girl a liar but i wonder if she's really skating. i feel like skaters are more shyly awkward around a girl ripper than any kind of macho, alpha bullshit. that and we're often too self absorbed in landing whatever we're trying than to try to holler at girls.
can we get a girl to chime in?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Can't wait to kook you.
[close]

my guy, if thats what you got to look forward to in your sad meaningful pathetic life then i truly feel sorry for you and may god have mercy on your soul. hoeboy

How vain. That was a cry for someone to kook me.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
i don't recall any stories like this from any of the female pros. i'm not calling this girl a liar but i wonder if she's really skating. i feel like skaters are more shyly awkward around a girl ripper than any kind of macho, alpha bullshit. that and we're often too self absorbed in landing whatever we're trying than to try to holler at girls.

this is exactly the type of response that has so many females posting here.

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »

Somewhere in your childhood a person may have told you that you were funny. But they were wrong. This "edgy" stuff was played out in 2009. I suppose that doesn't matter to a career fucking loser like you, but hey, keep defending nazis/WP bros, fucking dogs, and trolling the internet. Quite a life you made for yourself.

Here I'll make your next post for you, lardass: "What? I just thought that it was important to factually blah blah blah". SO FRESH!

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Rep: -5
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »

Imagine being this fucking dense.

Hoeboi

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Somewhere in your childhood a person may have told you that you were funny. But they were wrong. This "edgy" stuff was played out in 2009. I suppose that doesn't matter to a career fucking loser like you, but hey, keep defending nazis/WP bros, fucking dogs, and trolling the internet. Quite a life you made for yourself.

Here I'll make your next post for you, lardass: "What? I just thought that it was important to factually blah blah blah". SO FRESH!

this fuckin guy! i like this fuckin guy right here!

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »
Side note: are the those the first images of thank you skate boards? Did jenkem just randomly leak them for the sake of the argument in this article? Cause that’s cool.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Number

• Rep: 16
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2018, 02:07:05 PM »
Expand Quote
sad ass article and sadder thinking about how many dudes will roll their eyes if they bother reading it in the first place.
[close]

nopes gotta pancake ass confirmed.

Flapjacks just like momma used to make

opinionated bastard

• Rep: -179
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
Similar things would happen if she were playing football or any other male dominated sport, its just like lord of the flies, if you get a group of boys together in one place they can become animals, this is why the army recruits young men. Also, obviously attempts to be taken advantage of are by no means cool, but some of this comes with the territory, and to a certain degree will always be apart of skateboarding and life. Its obviously awesome more and more girls are into skateboarding and we want them to be as comfortable as possible, there are certian things abut a group of guys hanging out and there being 1 or 2 girls around that will never change, ever seen little giants? Having said that...

Her taking jabs at enjoi because of the tags on their shirt? that shit is funny. Those board graphics, they are what they are, the only reason it isn't marketed that way is because woman and men are different and if someone made boards glorifying female sexuality with dicks they wouldn't be purchased because its a male dominated sport and it wouldn't be a smart marketing move on their behalf to do that. But using the enjoi shirt as an example is no different than someone censoring a comedian because they thought a joke was poor taste.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2018, 05:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this is exactly the type of response that has so many females posting here.

This is exactly the type of response that someone who recently "focused" would make.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
"For those of you who will dismiss my frustration as oversensitivity: I envy you. I envy the fact that you don’t have to think about what it feels like to have your self-worth chained to your sex, and that you will never know that feeling."

Every single human on the planet has their self-worth chained to their sex, and not just chicks who skate. Are you a suitable mate is a biological question that faces every man and woman. It sounds like you are an attractive chick and men wanna bang you. you are lucky because not every woman has that luxury. There are plenty of incels that are women. Being of the fairer sex your beauty or lack there of is instinctually noticed by men.

what makes us humans and not animals is the ability to control our carnal desires. I agree that men shouldnt grab your sweet ass until invited but there is no way in hell you are gonna stop the inner desire to do so.

Im confused why this behavior is a skateboarding issue when its present in every other cultural scene also. men wanna fuck chicks. some men are creeps about. choose your men carefully ladies.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
I'm from a time where if you were enough of a weirdo to have found skateboarding and taken your licks you were in, skin colour, gender, haircut, whatever.

no such 'time' has ever existed.

either you're willfully ignorant to the fact that bigotry in skating has always been around and used to be worse, or you're pretending as if you were part of some wholesome egalitarian version of skating that has never happened.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2018, 06:02:44 PM »
It’s not a ‘skateboarding issue’, as in its only happening to skating, it’s an issue within skateboarding.

Now that skating is finally experiencing an sizable influx of female skaters, we as skaters have two choices.

We can stick to our old ‘boys club’ mentality where we treat girls dismissively and sexually, or we can open up and discriminate against them in the spirit of equality, hazing all beginners like irritating,  poseurish children regardless of gender, orientation, or background.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

nopes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2018, 06:27:48 PM »
yes this is a problem outside skateboarding but that doesnt mean there is nothing that can be done about it. the point is skateboarding doesnt have to be like this. its funny how many people on this thread are saying this is what happens when there are only 1 or 2 females in a group of males yet not addressing why maybe there is only 1 or 2 females in the group. this article is talking about what its like to be a female right now in skateboarding and the least guys can do is hear what they are saying and maybe think twice about whether or not their behaviors are preventing different peoples from getting involved rather than dismissing their experiences out right.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
Half of the responses here are so infuriating it's absurd.  Especially because the author already addressed all of your points in her article.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2018, 10:09:11 PM »

We can stick to our old ‘boys club’ mentality where we treat girls dismissively and sexually, or we can open up and discriminate against them in the spirit of equality, hazing all beginners like irritating,  poseurish children regardless of gender, orientation, or background.

never felt the need to haze anyone, fellow skaters least of all. why do you?

could it be cover for your insecurities?
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

IHOP

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 10:18:53 PM »
These threads get interesting because you realize that some of the regular posters on here are full idiots.

Half of you people criticizing her didnt even read the article, just skimmed it and came here to complain about how her hardships make you feel threatened because you have an advantage in this world.  As said before assault and sexual harassment are much different than when I got clowned on for wearing lizard king stance socks.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Half of the responses here are so infuriating it's absurd.  Especially because the author already addressed all of your points in her article.
[close]

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]