Author Topic: My Experiences in Skateboarding- Jenkem Article  (Read 20777 times)

shripshrapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
Re: My Experiences in Skateboarding- Jenkem Article
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2018, 11:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
i don't recall any stories like this from any of the female pros. i'm not calling this girl a liar but i wonder if she's really skating. i feel like skaters are more shyly awkward around a girl ripper than any kind of macho, alpha bullshit. that and we're often too self absorbed in landing whatever we're trying than to try to holler at girls.
can we get a girl to chime in?
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Half of the responses here are so infuriating it's absurd.  Especially because the author already addressed all of your points in her article.
[close]
[close]
[close]

We all know girls don't SLAP.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2018, 12:07:35 AM »
Expand Quote

We can stick to our old ‘boys club’ mentality where we treat girls dismissively and sexually, or we can open up and discriminate against them in the spirit of equality, hazing all beginners like irritating,  poseurish children regardless of gender, orientation, or background.
[close]

never felt the need to haze anyone, fellow skaters least of all. why do you?

could it be cover for your insecurities?

Could be.

More likely it was meant as a joke that went over your head
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2018, 02:30:22 AM »
People who do or say that kind of stuff to girls are pieces of shit, skateboard or no.

I've never perceived skateboarding as particularly fostering that kind of behaviour myself, always thought about it more along the lines that Reynolds described somewhere recently (said he would let Stella hang with skaters because its the healthiest youth culture he can think of for a girl), but now that I think about it I'm not too surprised that this kind of shit should be going on. I would expect other male skaters to sort a guy out if he does this shit at a local park, bummer to hear that's apparently not always the case.

Good article.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2018, 02:34:11 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm from a time where if you were enough of a weirdo to have found skateboarding and taken your licks you were in, skin colour, gender, haircut, whatever.
[close]

no such 'time' has ever existed.

either you're willfully ignorant to the fact that bigotry in skating has always been around and used to be worse, or you're pretending as if you were part of some wholesome egalitarian version of skating that has never happened.

You obviously have a better memory of my childhood than I do, you are right thought I maybe overstepped the line mentioning haircuts.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 02:57:59 AM »
To be fair, there were Asians and women in the original z-boys scene.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2018, 05:51:56 AM »

uhhhh... yeah, just like all the parks i go too

on the harassment side the one story where she shared details about an encounter felt more to me about a problem with partying culture than skateboard situations. if you are going to a hotel at night, wasted to meet friend you are going to an obvious heavy partying situation at that point, not a skateboarding one. and i'm not sure how going meet some people at a hotel at night with a guy wasted seems like a safe thing for a girl to do. pretty sure most guys would have a problem with their girlfriend\wife if they told them these were the choices they made that got them into an awkward situation because most guys would tell their girl "what the hell where you thinking?". and how does an uber not make more sense than going to sleep in the hotel room of a guy that just lied to get you into the hotel room and you two are both wasted.

her points about objectification in skating are spot on and relatable for me. i'd be pretty annoyed if i went in a skate shop with my daughter and there were boards with vag's on them hanging on the wall and flyers talking about sluts. i used to hate those hubba ads, that shit was so cheesy and now that i have a daughter it would also be embarrassing in a different way.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2018, 07:18:36 AM »
so like you cant fathom a situation where a guy skater is drunk and gets to crash with another skater in the crew? why should a women  skater not expect to be able to do the same thing without sexual advances?

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
so like you cant fathom a situation where a guy skater is drunk and gets to crash with another skater in the crew? why should a women  skater not expect to be able to do the same thing without sexual advances?
because the guy skater doesnt want to fuck the other guy skater, he wants to fuck the woman skater. you know biology. Men will try to get laid. this isnt the work place and sexual advances occur. asking is one thing, touching with out permission is another thing. she can say no and they can move on. if that doesnt work she should find a new crew.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2018, 07:39:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
because the guy skater doesnt want to fuck the other guy skater, he wants to fuck the woman skater. you know biology. Men will try to get laid. this isnt the work place and sexual advances occur. asking is one thing, touching with out permission is another thing. she can say no and they can move on. if that doesnt work she should find a new crew.

Are you a sharktits account too?

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2018, 07:59:58 AM »
There’s nothing wrong with cuddling the homie after a heavy sesh

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2018, 08:02:25 AM »

on the harassment side the one story where she shared details about an encounter felt more to me about a problem with partying culture than skateboard situations. if you are going to a hotel at night, wasted to meet friend you are going to an obvious heavy partying situation at that point, not a skateboarding one. and i'm not sure how going meet some people at a hotel at night with a guy wasted seems like a safe thing for a girl to do. pretty sure most guys would have a problem with their girlfriend\wife if they told them these were the choices they made that got them into an awkward situation because most guys would tell their girl "what the hell where you thinking?". and how does an uber not make more sense than going to sleep in the hotel room of a guy that just lied to get you into the hotel room and you two are both wasted.

Yeah, I can't imagine why a purposefully exaggerated image meant to illustrate how a female skater feels in a skatepark wouldn't resonate with a middle aged man...

Your second paragraph is straight up victim blaming.   It's a problem with skateboard culture because she was with skaters, who often like to think of themselves as more open-minded and better than other people while her story shows that's not always the case. And she also was explicitly clear about how she didn't want to hook up with this guy and he didn't respect that. That's not her fault - that's his. She should be able to get wasted with her friends at a party, clearly not give consent, and pass out with the expectation that her wishes will be listened to. I'd expect the same if I crashed with my straigh or gay male friends or with my female friends. To say that she was in the wrong or could have done more is straight up victim blaming and is gross.

Also, I wasn't aware that women are supposed to make decisions based on what their (hypothetical) husband/boyfriend would think.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -153
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2018, 08:11:40 AM »

lol

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, I can't imagine why a purposefully exaggerated image meant to illustrate how a female skater feels in a skatepark wouldn't resonate with a middle aged man...

Your second paragraph is straight up victim blaming.   It's a problem with skateboard culture because she was with skaters, who often like to think of themselves as more open-minded and better than other people while her story shows that's not always the case. And she also was explicitly clear about how she didn't want to hook up with this guy and he didn't respect that. That's not her fault - that's his. She should be able to get wasted with her friends at a party, clearly not give consent, and pass out with the expectation that her wishes will be listened to. I'd expect the same if I crashed with my straight or gay male friends or with my female friends. To say that she was in the wrong or could have done more is straight up victim blaming and is gross.

Also, I wasn't aware that women are supposed to make decisions based on what their (hypothetical) husband/boyfriend would think.

you can use whatever pejoratives you like but i'm just talking about how easy it could have been to avoid that situation not saying that the guy wasn't clearly in the wrong and a scumbag rapist in training. if you don't think that staying in a hotel room with a guy who obviously lied to get you their drunk is a bad decision making, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

but my actual point was that this girl didn't end up in this situation because of being in skateboard culture. she did so because she was getting involved in a partying culture and not exactly playing a safe hand there. if she was playing soccer with a bunch of guys and decided to go out drinking in a hotel room with them after same type thing could just as easily end up happening there.

if some guy grabbed her ass at a skatepark or when she goes into a skate shop there are posters with slut written on them then that's an embarrassing part of our culture that we should all take a hard look at.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

We can stick to our old ‘boys club’ mentality where we treat girls dismissively and sexually, or we can open up and discriminate against them in the spirit of equality, hazing all beginners like irritating,  poseurish children regardless of gender, orientation, or background.
[close]

never felt the need to haze anyone, fellow skaters least of all. why do you?

could it be cover for your insecurities?
[close]

Could be.

More likely it was meant as a joke that went over your head

aw, so sorry my guy. i see the hilarity now. nice one homes.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2018, 09:14:20 AM »
but my actual point was that this girl didn't end up in this situation because of being in skateboard culture. she did so because she was getting involved in a partying culture and not exactly playing a safe hand there. if she was playing soccer with a bunch of guys and decided to go out drinking in a hotel room with them after same type thing could just as easily end up happening there.
Get what you trying to say but it's not a good look to lecture the girl for getting sexually assaulted.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2018, 09:36:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Get what you trying to say but it's not a good look to lecture the girl for getting sexually assaulted.

understood and good rule of thumb but this ins't a conversation with her and i don't see it as a lecturing situation. this is a conversation with others about an article she wrote and had published on a widely read skate media claiming that her sexual assault had something to do with the bro vibe of skate culture when really it seems to have a lot more to do with her sharing an interest in partying with these people than sharing and interest in skating. she is putting that incident out there to be a part of this exact kind of conversation. if she didn't want it discussed then she probably shouldn't have put it out there in such a critical way on this kind of platform.

NeppuNeppu

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
I really don't think she's arguing that she had those experiences because of skateboarding, but rather illustrating that these experiences exist within skateboarding - despite how welcoming, counter-culture, or egalitarian as skateboarding pretends to be or is marketed as. And it's a point that needs to be made. People are still more upset that skateboarding will be in the olympics and cry that it's not a sport, but still celebrate, ignore, or undermine the jock shit she describes.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2018, 11:04:01 AM »
if you can't be around females without grabbing their tits or ass or throw sexual slurs at them then you are a 100% shitty person- skateboarding or not skateboarding.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -478
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
So nothing on those thank you boards?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2018, 11:25:44 AM »
I've never perceived skateboarding as particularly fostering that kind of behaviour myself, always thought about it more along the lines that Reynolds described somewhere recently (said he would let Stella hang with skaters because its the healthiest youth culture he can think of for a girl)

You've probably just learned to turn a blind eye to the misogyny in skateboarding. It's normalized (among male skateboarders). I mean, we are posting in a forum that has a thread called "Skateboarders' Weiner Wallets".

shripshrapper

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2018, 12:25:31 PM »
Expand Quote
I've never perceived skateboarding as particularly fostering that kind of behaviour myself, always thought about it more along the lines that Reynolds described somewhere recently (said he would let Stella hang with skaters because its the healthiest youth culture he can think of for a girl)
[close]

You've probably just learned to turn a blind eye to the misogyny in skateboarding. It's normalized (among male skateboarders). I mean, we are posting in a forum that has a thread called "Skateboarders' Weiner Wallets".

This. You get desensitized to it, but skating still celebrates caveman thinking. If anything, I remember female skaters being thought of as "one of the guys". If you were good enough at skating, we stopped seeing you as a female.. Which is just as bad methinks.

I don't know. Skateboarding on a whole celebrates arrested development and "immaturity". That's what we've always liked about it, but it brings with it lots of offensive behaviour.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
There are also other dynamics at play with female skateboarders. Attractive girl skaters probably have vastly different experiences compared to unattractive ones, as well as perceived straight vs. gay. The very few times I've seen attractive beginner female skateboarders, I couldn't help but think they're slaloming through cocks all day.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
There are also other dynamics at play with female skateboarders. Attractive girl skaters probably have vastly different experiences compared to unattractive ones, as well as perceived straight vs. gay. The very few times I've seen attractive beginner female skateboarders, I couldn't help but think they're slaloming through cocks all day.
mens and womens giant cock slalom 2020

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
Dude OR chick never get wasted and go to a hotel and stay over. Never know what crazy shit can happen it's just a precaution.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2018, 08:52:52 PM »
Many of the responses in here demonstrate the disconnect that many male skaters have to the realities that women face in skate culture. Going so far as to say what women should or shouldn't do without acknowledging what men should or shouldn't do. From what I've seen, in skating and elsewhere, the level of awareness and compassion toward sexual harassment/assault has grown exponentially in the last ten years and even the most well meaning dudes from an older era aren't grasping the full gravity of what this article is addressing.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

DONKEYSAUCE

• Rep: -5
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
Go away, this is mine, I do this to get away from you.

shripshrapper

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »
Many of the responses in here demonstrate the disconnect that many male skaters have to the realities that women face in skate culture. Going so far as to say what women should or shouldn't do without acknowledging what men should or shouldn't do. From what I've seen, in skating and elsewhere, the level of awareness and compassion toward sexual harassment/assault has grown exponentially in the last ten years and even the most well meaning dudes from an older era aren't grasping the full gravity of what this article is addressing.

So even the most "aware" older dudes still aren't "getting it" eh? What hope do us neanderthals have? We're doomed to a life of raping and harassing women..

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2018, 10:32:24 PM »

That's probably because you're a piece of shit who doesn't think of women as anything but sex objects.

theradone

• Rep: 4
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2018, 10:38:46 PM »
Similar things would happen if she were playing football or any other male dominated sport, its just like lord of the flies, if you get a group of boys together in one place they can become animals, this is why the army recruits young men. Also, obviously attempts to be taken advantage of are by no means cool, but some of this comes with the territory, and to a certain degree will always be apart of skateboarding and life. Its obviously awesome more and more girls are into skateboarding and we want them to be as comfortable as possible, there are certian things abut a group of guys hanging out and there being 1 or 2 girls around that will never change, ever seen little giants? Having said that...

Her taking jabs at enjoi because of the tags on their shirt? that shit is funny. Those board graphics, they are what they are, the only reason it isn't marketed that way is because woman and men are different and if someone made boards glorifying female sexuality with dicks they wouldn't be purchased because its a male dominated sport and it wouldn't be a smart marketing move on their behalf to do that. But using the enjoi shirt as an example is no different than someone censoring a comedian because they thought a joke was poor taste.

FYI There is no "her" taking jabs at Enjoi. The images in the article were selected and inserted by Jenkem staff. My guess is they are supposed to be evidence for the second hand embarrassment we all should be feeling.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2018, 02:45:30 AM »
If a girl skates her ass off everyone will respect her. Fact. I wonder if the writer actually skates.