Author Topic: My Experiences in Skateboarding- Jenkem Article  (Read 20776 times)

TITANIUM NIPPLES

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: My Experiences in Skateboarding- Jenkem Article
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
as long as skateboarding is majority male, we have a problem.
[close]
jesus, this is the funniest thing ive read on slap in a while
[close]

Why is that funny?

Unless there's something biological that pushes women away from skateboarding, there's no acceptable reason for half of the population to be so poorly represented in our culture.
[close]

A) that's your problem not ours. i don't really care who does or does not skate.  if 3 million women started skateboarding tomorrow i would still skate with the same 2-6 people.  the only thing that would change is my spots would probably get blown out. I am cool with women skating but i don't see it as a "problem"  that they are underrepresented in what really boils down to an asinine hobby. its not like we are talking about impact professions.

b) risk tolerance and aversion are pretty well studied fields.  whether its biological or cultural or whatever there is a divide. there are outliers and counter arguments but there is a body of work that says men are generally risk tolerant and women are generally risk averse. so without a massive cultural shift-- its unlikely you would get balance in a high risk activity.

c) you  (and others) are getting so fucking far from the article.  maybe im being egocentric but its really more about men than women (i feel safe saying its not about women at all, its about how men treated one woman).   more representation is not going to solve the issue, it would probably exacerbate it. its the guys that have to fucking settle down and call each other out for being jackasses at best, fucking creeps at worst.

Exactly.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why is that funny?

Unless there's something biological that pushes women away from skateboarding, there's no acceptable reason for half of the population to be so poorly represented in our culture.
[close]

A) that's your problem not ours. i don't really care who does or does not skate.  if 3 million women started skateboarding tomorrow i would still skate with the same 2-6 people.  the only thing that would change is my spots would probably get blown out. I am cool with women skating but i don't see it as a "problem"  that they are underrepresented in what really boils down to an asinine hobby. its not like we are talking about impact professions.

b) risk tolerance and aversion are pretty well studied fields.  whether its biological or cultural or whatever there is a divide. there are outliers and counter arguments but there is a body of work that says men are generally risk tolerant and women are generally risk averse. so without a massive cultural shift-- its unlikely you would get balance in a high risk activity.

c) you  (and others) are getting so fucking far from the article.  maybe im being egocentric but its really more about men than women (i feel safe saying its not about women at all, its about how men treated one woman).   more representation is not going to solve the issue, it would probably exacerbate it. its the guys that have to fucking settle down and call each other out for being jackasses at best, fucking creeps at worst.

I met a colleague of mine son (13) one day whilst trying to get paid, and he was leaving with a skate, showed him some tricks and he calls me up to help progress his skating.   One day he asks to skate at the local park, some of his friends (the same age), had no filter.  It was fun correcting the shit out of his friend (also 13-14) everytime he spoke about girls, sex,  parents being at the park, etc.

I think the kid I was chilling with was glad someone put him in his place and he did shut up.

eraserheadfuckers

• Rep: 26
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why is that funny?

[close]

so without a massive cultural shift-- its unlikely you would get balance in a high risk activity.

that's what im saying tho, we need a massive cultural shift

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why is that funny?

[close]

so without a massive cultural shift-- its unlikely you would get balance in a high risk activity.

[close]

Why though? If anyone doesn't want to skate, we don't need to push them into it.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why is that funny?

[close]

[close]

honestly 90 percent of skateboarders are severely pussy deprived and its been that way from the beginning. the dude who's gets the most pussy is in a sense looked down upon, nyjah. skateboarding culture has suffered the worst case of blue balls of any sport out there. a cultural shift of this nature is completely impossible. perversion is a virus my friend and its not going away.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why is that funny?

[close]

[close]

[close]

Why though? If anyone doesn't want to skate, we don't need to push them into it.

Making a cultural shift so that more women feel comfortable skating and within skating isn't the same thing as pushing them to do it.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2018, 05:33:39 PM »
It goes beyond skating, and to raising gentlemen and non creeps. Pervs make the regular dude that can contain himself look bad,and we're all assholes in a female's eyes with that. I see skate crews with a token girl that's occasionally the girlfriend of one of the dudes and she is respected. It's a shame that it can't be the same respect by others at the park or spot.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

feedmeseymour

« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2018, 06:24:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Why is that funny?

[close]

[close]

Yes, this will surely be achieved by posting on slap.

DONKEYSAUCE

« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2018, 06:49:11 PM »
I’m gonna be honest. I don’t really care.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »

Now that's like being a bit sexualist then, innit.

DONKEYSAUCE

« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2018, 08:49:43 PM »
I thought about it some more.  I mean, I'd probably try to fuck her too.  I kind of like that there's not a ton of women in skateboarding, keeps me focused.  My office is like 50/50 men and women, and I've thought about fucking every one of those beasts.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2018, 03:20:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
asking if she actually skates and questioning how going out partying has anything to do with skating both seem like valid questions to me.
[close]

How is that even remotely relevant in context of the issue she is raising? However, she explicitly states that she loves skateboarding. I doubt anyone would even ask this question if the author was a dude. This is part of the problem. Female skateboarders have to face a ridiculous amount of doubt, suspicion, scorn, and worse. They do not have the privilege of experiencing skateboarding as a safe haven.
[close]
i've asked people on here if they skate. i heard a bunch of this lady's criticsims in real life recently but ya know what? she  didn't skate. she goes 'i don't wanna be treated like a girl but i don't wanna be treated like one of the guys'.
make up your mind.
she wants us to be flirty or some shit but not really? idk.

but she used my board and could barely push, damn sure wasn't in the realm of ripping.
if we treat her w/ respect then it's lowering the bar and anyone's a skater by putting on a thrasher shirt.
that said, i'd never disrespect anyone who's legit going for it. if you're trying, you're a skater.
if homegirl rips then her thesis has validity.

i think she meant "i don't wanna be treated like a girl" = don't hit on me or try to pick me up and "but i don't wanna be treated like one of the guys" = tone down the grossness and general misogyny, as some of us can tend to get when were around all dudes for too long, which happens a lot in skating.

i could be totally wrong, but i don't think "flirty or some shit but not really?" was what she was trying to convey with that one of the guys, but not totally statement.

Don't you lower the bar for your homies and other non-pros/ams/flowmen in general? as long as they do something thats sick for them, don't you get stoked on it? Also, if someone's that much of a novice to skating that theyre learning to push then its hard to tell how committed they'll end up being to skating and how "ripping" they'll become. I agree that you shouldn't be given special treatment to learn how to push in the middle of a crowded park or spot, but i don't think theres anything wrong with helping out or encouraging a grom, girl or guy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:22:40 PM by Zurg »

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2018, 04:31:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
asking if she actually skates and questioning how going out partying has anything to do with skating both seem like valid questions to me.
[close]

How is that even remotely relevant in context of the issue she is raising? However, she explicitly states that she loves skateboarding. I doubt anyone would even ask this question if the author was a dude. This is part of the problem. Female skateboarders have to face a ridiculous amount of doubt, suspicion, scorn, and worse. They do not have the privilege of experiencing skateboarding as a safe haven.
[close]
i've asked people on here if they skate. i heard a bunch of this lady's criticsims in real life recently but ya know what? she  didn't skate. she goes 'i don't wanna be treated like a girl but i don't wanna be treated like one of the guys'.
make up your mind.
she wants us to be flirty or some shit but not really? idk.

but she used my board and could barely push, damn sure wasn't in the realm of ripping.
if we treat her w/ respect then it's lowering the bar and anyone's a skater by putting on a thrasher shirt.
that said, i'd never disrespect anyone who's legit going for it. if you're trying, you're a skater.
if homegirl rips then her thesis has validity.
[close]

i think she meant "i don't wanna be treated like a girl" = don't hit on me or try to pick me up and "but i don't wanna be treated like one of the guys" = tone down the grossness and general misogyny, as some of us can tend to get when were around all dudes for too long, which happens a lot in skating.

i could be totally wrong, but i don't think "flirty or some shit but not really?" was what she was trying to convey with that one of the guys, but not totally statement.

Don't you lower the bar for your homies and other non-pros/ams/flowmen in general? as long as they do something thats sick for them, don't you get stoked on it? Also, if someone's that much of a novice to skating that theyre learning to push then its hard to tell how committed they'll end up being to skating and how "ripping" they'll become. I agree that you shouldn't be given special treatment to learn how to push in the middle of a crowded park or spot, but i don't think theres anything wrong with helping out or encouraging a grom, girl or guy.
i meant lowering the bar as in 'you're a skater because you bought a thrasher shirt' or something equally facile.
maybe you're right but she wasn't articulating herself, it was obnoxious. to me, it was jewish american princess throwing her weight around because she's used to people kowtowing to her. skating ain't like that, you gotta participate.
she sort of pushed around a bit on my board at the DIY. didn't try ollies, didn't try shove its. didn't push for very long. to me that's not enough to come to the table and speak.
if she could ollie moving or boardslide a curb, at the very least she'd put in the work and gotten the scabs and i'd respect her as a skater and by extension, her opinion.
idk the girl in the article so maybe i'm projecting but it was synchonicity how they both came out the same time.

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »
she definitely isnt trying to speak to shit head lost causes like you dude.

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2018, 07:26:12 PM »
That Enjoi tag is a joke, making fun of sexism. Similar to how they say faraway children make their clothing.

quadcuff

« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2018, 01:38:19 PM »
It's almost as if most skaters are piles of shit