Author Topic: M*A*S*H Theme Song is Scary  (Read 1174 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
M*A*S*H Theme Song is Scary
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:36:54 AM »
Here’s an important and timely topic: Does the MASH theme song creep anyone else out?  It creeped me out even more when I heard it was called “Suicide is Painless”.

I think I remember a story about one of the producers or something for the show asking his kid for song ideas for the sitcom he was working on and he came back with a song named “Suicide is Painless”.

This is strange for two reasons:
1.  Wouldn’t you be alarmed if your child told you his new song is “Suicide is Painless”?  Maybe it’s the over-clinical society we live in, but I’d think about some sort of counseling.

2.  Why was this dude passing off his work to his kid in the first place?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkxcC79LA8&feature=share
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

snickers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • do you think this is a game?
Re: M*A*S*H Theme Song is Scary
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
wot
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:03:58 PM »
Here’s an important and timely topic: Does the MASH theme song creep anyone else out?  It creeped me out even more when I heard it was called “Suicide is Painless”.

I think I remember a story about one of the producers or something for the show asking his kid for song ideas for the sitcom he was working on and he came back with a song named “Suicide is Painless”.

This is strange for two reasons:
1.  Wouldn’t you be alarmed if your child told you his new song is “Suicide is Painless”?  Maybe it’s the over-clinical society we live in, but I’d think about some sort of counseling.

2.  Why was this dude passing off his work to his kid in the first place?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkxcC79LA8&feature=share

www.neatorama.com/2015/07/28/MASH-Notes-The-Story-Behind-Suicide-is-Painless/

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 06:33:22 AM »
^. Wow, I had the story half right, half completely wrong.  Pretty fascinating how the kid became a millionaire for writing something naively, earnestly and obliviously stupid.  Kind of gives me hope in finding my pot at the end of the rainbow someday.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
It has that 70s singer-song writer melancholy vibe that was SO prevelant at that time.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"