Author Topic: Shenmue 1+2  (Read 1917 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Shenmue 1+2
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »
Was thinking about getting this, I missed it first time around even though I owned a Dreamcast at the time.  Anyone else as unbelievably nerdy as I am and going to buy this?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
Re: Shenmue 1+2
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:27:55 AM »
had the first one, amazing game, didn't exploit its full potential before exchanging it for another one

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
phenomenal games, definitely play them
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »
I have them on Dreamcast and enjoyed them a lot at the time.

I do wonder if they’ve stood the test of time. One of their biggest draws was how immersive and real the world felt compared to everything else at the time. They also appealed to my 20 yr old weeb self who thought it was really amazing to be able to walk around a boring Japanese town.

Playing them now they might seem a bit dated. Do you want to play a game that makes you get up, and go to work as a forklift driver over and over? You could probably skip part 1 where almost nothing happens.

I think the recent Yakuza games tread similar ground and might be more playable.

Edit:Just realized there is an updated version coming out so I guess we’ll have to see if anything is improved.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 05:50:19 AM »
I replayed the first one on dreamcast about two years ago... The game was so fucked that the only way I could play it was to turn my dreamcast upside down and wait like 15 minutes before it booted up (saw that method online). Never played the second one but I will definitely pick up a copy. It kinda concerns me that the third one was crowd funded tho...

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 06:42:56 AM »
I replayed the first one on dreamcast about two years ago... The game was so fucked that the only way I could play it was to turn my dreamcast upside down and wait like 15 minutes before it booted up (saw that method online). Never played the second one but I will definitely pick up a copy. It kinda concerns me that the third one was crowd funded tho...

The 2nd one actually has stuff happening. They were originally going to be one game but it was going way over budget and behind schedule so they split off the first act into its own game. The first game can accurately be summarized with "Something happens, you leave town".

I had the Japanese version but at the time had some ok Japanese skills. I probably couldn't play it now because I'm dumber than I used to be.

SWPhillyFloater

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 06:47:15 AM »
Loved Shenmue 1, played it a lot when I was in middle school.  This thread has me wanting to bring out the dreamcast and do another playthrough.  Never got to experience Shenmue 2 but i'm hoping to play it someday.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 12:57:28 PM »
Shenmue III is coming out in a few days.  Anyone planning on picking it up?

The fact that there is a review embargo that doesn’t lift until 2 days after release has me worried.  That tends to not be a great sign.  Hopefully the game is great though.

Edit:  Guess that’s a “no”.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:33:33 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.