Author Topic: Least talented pro skater  (Read 34677 times)

jomeara1

Re: Least talented pro skater
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2018, 08:51:48 AM »
Expand Quote

Reynolds did like every trick you could name in Baker 3.  He has also proven to everyone as of recently that he can skate low impact shit very well too. Even his battle commander had a lot of different variety in it.  Also, some of these basic tricks you’re referring to is down some of the gnarliest shit. Kickflip down Davis gap and full cab down Wilshire is nothing short of impressive.

Also your statement about his “filler tricks” makes no sense really.  How else is he going to show everyone that he can do other things other than the usual tricks he does?  His skating has aged like fine wine and he is better now than ever.
[close]

Reynolds did like every trick you could name in Baker 3.

Honestly, when comparing to MJ's Yeah Right and Fully Flared, and Daewon's Round 3, and Skate More parts, his Baker 3 part is not on par with NBD tricks, and progression. His This Is Skateboarding Part 1 and 2 parts are better.

He has also proven to everyone as of recently that he can skate low impact shit very well too. Even his battle commander had a lot of different variety in it.

This I can agree with you on. His Battle Commander is absolutely great.

Also, some of these basic tricks you’re referring to is down some of the gnarliest shit. Kickflip down Davis gap and full cab down Wilshire is nothing short of impressive.

Yes, I agree about Davis gap because it's not same old stuff. However, I got sick of Wilshire after nearly everyone kept going to it. It got too monotonous at times.

Your statement about his “filler tricks” makes no sense really.

Anyone who skate the same old spots over and over again is filler to me. That's why i love his TIS 2 part, there's was some variety. It wasn't meaningless, it was significant, it had emotion.

Once again, I love Reynolds. He's just has weaknesses.

Regardless of what each of us think of him, he definitely does not belong in the least talented pro thread. That’s just absurd.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2018, 09:10:12 AM »

Sir, this thread is "least talented pro skater" thread, not the "realistic acknowledgement of the specific limitations of a pro skater" thread.

decaf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »
Speaking of TK, why does he tag his wife in every post? (This may have already been discussed?)

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -40
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »
The fact that Reynolds somehow got brought up in this thread is fucking insane.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Even in his prime- Stevie Williams was a pro flat ground skater, with some ledge shit sprinkled in between.

Amazing style, but easily one of the least versatile street pro’s.
[close]

Maybe it’s more like lowest impact street pro... my bad

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2018, 01:05:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sir, this thread is "least talented pro skater" thread, not the "realistic acknowledgement of the specific limitations of a pro skater" thread.

HAHA! nailed it. fucking silly arguement for this specific thread. although a  "realistic acknowledgement of the specific limitations of a pro skater" thread might be fun. probably not though

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »
Expand Quote

Reynolds did like every trick you could name in Baker 3.  He has also proven to everyone as of recently that he can skate low impact shit very well too. Even his battle commander had a lot of different variety in it.  Also, some of these basic tricks you’re referring to is down some of the gnarliest shit. Kickflip down Davis gap and full cab down Wilshire is nothing short of impressive.

Also your statement about his “filler tricks” makes no sense really.  How else is he going to show everyone that he can do other things other than the usual tricks he does?  His skating has aged like fine wine and he is better now than ever.
[close]

Reynolds did like every trick you could name in Baker 3.

Honestly, when comparing to MJ's Yeah Right and Fully Flared, and Daewon's Round 3, and Skate More parts, his Baker 3 part is not on par with NBD tricks, and progression. His This Is Skateboarding Part 1 and 2 parts are better.

He has also proven to everyone as of recently that he can skate low impact shit very well too. Even his battle commander had a lot of different variety in it.

This I can agree with you on. His Battle Commander is absolutely great.

Also, some of these basic tricks you’re referring to is down some of the gnarliest shit. Kickflip down Davis gap and full cab down Wilshire is nothing short of impressive.

Yes, I agree about Davis gap because it's not same old stuff. However, I got sick of Wilshire after nearly everyone kept going to it. It got too monotonous at times.

Your statement about his “filler tricks” makes no sense really.

Anyone who skate the same old spots over and over again is filler to me. That's why i love his TIS 2 part, there's was some variety. It wasn't meaningless, it was significant, it had emotion.

Why does progression only pertain to doing NBDs for you? Yes, that is a form of progression in skateboarding, but you can progress skating in other ways as well, such as pushing the limits of just how big you can go on gaps and stairs and what tricks can be done down what, and setting new standards and pushing the limits on gap/stair skating overall, which is something Reynolds played an integral role in doing. Him and a few others pretty much defined that whole era of skating. Doing "basic" tricks down huge shit that not too many people had the guts to step to before, despite what you might think, was and is progressive, just in a different way than doing NBDs.

Part of me thinks you weren't skating around that time (late 90s to the later part of the mid 00s) because almost everyone was fucking tripping on Reynolds at the time and the shit he was doing and knew just how heavy the shit he was putting out really was. It's easy to look back a decade later at his older parts and not understand the impact his skating had if you weren't skating at that time, especially with the Joslins of the world now putting out insane gap skating on Instagram everyday that probably desensitized a lot of younger dudes to just how gnarly and progressive Reynolds stuff was when it first came out. I hate to be one of those "you just had to have been around at that time to understand" douches, but you just had to have been around at that time to understand.

Surf-goth

• Rep: -676
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
Seriously reynolds? One of the baddest motherfuckers to ever ride a skateboard? Come one! He's skate royalty.
Rest in peace Dick Dale.

Backheels

• Rep: -160
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2018, 02:07:32 PM »
The fact that Reynolds somehow got brought up in this thread is fucking insane.

I hope the kook that posted it gets punched in the mouth,hes one of the best of all time.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2018, 02:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Reynolds. He's a small bag of tricks, and skate the same ol spots over and over again since after The End.
[close]

are you fucking kidding?! Reynolds has every trick in the book. go watch any of his parts and actually WATCH. dude is easily top 3 GOAT.
[close]

Sorry but imo, if Reynolds had produced so many distinguished tricks, please name a part where he ended it with a trick other than a basic trick down some stairs.

He can do other stuff, but if it isn't a frontside flip, backside flip, kickflip, or some kind of cab, it is filler that is put in more to show off his "variety" than actually to show something growth in skateboarding. Take away that, and he wouldn't have made it. With his formula, he's considered a legend.

Here are his enders:
The End: Frontside flip 14
Baker 2G: Frontside flip 15
This is Skateboarding: Frontside flip 16
Baker 3: Cab the same set he already frontside flipped at the end of 2G
Stay Gold: Kickflip

How come with every video part, he comes out with an ender that is the same? You'd think he would have some "variety", right? He doesn't, because although he can do a lot of tricks, he's only great at a few. Everybody on the list above can do a lot of tricks, but you see them go back to certain ones over and over again, just like Reynolds.

Reynolds has a nice flick and has great control over huge gaps, but trick selection isn't one of his best attributes. He just tends to use a specific group of tricks. Honestly, Moz was right recently when he had said,

"Most of them were limited in their skills. They would only do like 3 tricks and jump down stuff all the time. Most of it was fisheye too so all of the stuff they were jumping down wasn’t as big or long as it looked. You have to remember that the action heroes are less than 2%, and the rest are posers. Most people only have like 4 tricks and they call themselves professional skateboarders."

I love Reynolds. I think he's great at what he does, and I am a fan. However the question is, what has he brought into skating? His "progression" is purely mathematical. It is particularly bad because people like Koston, Guy, MJ, Daewon, and Marisa has brought some insane stuff to the table.

Koston and MJ genuinely can do anything. Every NBD they do becomes the new hot trick, has Reynolds ever even done a trick that hasn't been done yet? That puts them in their own league. Influential even.

I understand where you are coming from. I just respectfully disagree.
[close]

Reynolds has his staple tricks, but he isn't limited. He's not as versatile as someone like Koston, but he went bigger and has amazing style when skating big gaps.

Plus, I don't think what tricks people can't do really justify's who is the least talented. I mean, Ave has a very limited selection of flip tricks in his parts, he still skates in a way that is unreal due to how he charges at stuff, and can approach ledges anyway whether its regular, switch, nollie or fakie with speed.

crustynosepick

• Rep: -56
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »
Andrew Allen.The dude literally just skates curbs and banks.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2018, 03:12:47 PM »

go fuck yourself

crustynosepick

« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Since people keep berating Sean Pablo for "skating a six stair" for his ender, I assure you that rail is fucking tall and mellow as shit, not to mention stubby. Basically an over-waist-high flatbar set down some stairs. The fact that he back lipped that, and slid as much as he did, is impressive.

Hating on Sean Pablo has grown more annoying than Sean Pablo, himself. Is he the best? Of course not. Is he the worst? Also no.

Eye Sect Monster or whatever your name is, since you seem to have such a hard-on for anything that falls into "generic so-cal rail skating," care to comment on TK's trick down a seven-stair skatepark hubba in his Baker 3 part?

Also, how the fuck has no one said Neen Williams yet? Or did I miss that?
[close]

Lol neen varial heel flipped over a 16 stair handrail you fucking imbecile

Censored

• Rep: 5
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
Ah the old "Reynolds sucks he only does kickflips and frontside flips, look how many tricks Daewon Song can do he's way better" argument.

crustynosepick

« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

go fuck yourself

Triggered! I knew you fanboys would come out the woodwork.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »
Jason Dill.

crustynosepick

« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2018, 03:42:12 PM »
Can we please appriciate Andrew Allens total lack of skill and general weight problems.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »
Can we please appriciate Andrew Allens total lack of skill and general weight problems.

Can we all acknowledge how many lazy, boring, obvious trolls there are on this message board these days?
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

crustynosepick

« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2018, 04:15:19 PM »
I'm honestly not trolling, please give me reasons for him not being one of the least skilled 'active' pros currently?

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2018, 04:21:04 PM »
Expand Quote
i'm naming castillo, brophy and pfanner
[close]
You need to see Pfanner skate in person he does not belong here

I think the footage speaks for itself - what POWER. Must be crazy seeing him skate in person.

However, has anyone seen Pfanner skate switch? I don't think I've ever seen him pop nollie or switch in any clip.

Also, I stand corrected - that Carlos Young Supernaut part is amazing

MASTiF

« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »
jokes on you he skates curbs and banks switch and you probably couldn't tell

crustynosepick

« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
jokes on you he skates curbs and banks switch and you probably couldn't tell

You my friend are a lost cause.

HotnSpicyMcChicken

• Rep: -40
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2018, 05:28:02 PM »
I take it you kooks trashing AA just started skating within the last year or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipTM41ru0GE

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jordan Sanchez
[close]
The dude kickflip frontside wallriding dumpsters and boardsliding chains?
[close]

Yes, you’ve identified the correct person.

Also, I’ve never seen a Jim Gagne trick that wasn’t gross looking.
[close]
take it back!
that man's an institution.
[close]
He may have been able to do some gnarly transition tricks and oddly technical tricks, but it's undeniable that he looked god awful skating outside of a skatepark

You know how dudes like Ishod and Antwuan Dixon make everything they do look easy?  Jim is the exact opposite of that.

I do admire the enormous force of will he appears to summon to get his tricks.  It’s just hard to look at it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Issy

« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »

Why does progression only pertain to doing NBDs for you? Yes, that is a form of progression in skateboarding, but you can progress skating in other ways as well, such as pushing the limits of just how big you can go on gaps and stairs and what tricks can be done down what, and setting new standards and pushing the limits on gap/stair skating overall, which is something Reynolds played an integral role in doing. Him and a few others pretty much defined that whole era of skating. Doing "basic" tricks down huge shit that not too many people had the guts to step to before, despite what you might think, was and is progressive, just in a different way than doing NBDs.

Part of me thinks you weren't skating around that time (late 90s to the later part of the mid 00s) because almost everyone was fucking tripping on Reynolds at the time and the shit he was doing and knew just how heavy the shit he was putting out really was. It's easy to look back a decade later at his older parts and not understand the impact his skating had if you weren't skating at that time, especially with the Joslins of the world now putting out insane gap skating on Instagram everyday that probably desensitized a lot of younger dudes to just how gnarly and progressive Reynolds stuff was when it first came out. I hate to be one of those "you just had to have been around at that time to understand" douches, but you just had to have been around at that time to understand.

You pushing the limits of just how big you can go on gaps and stairs and what tricks can be done down what, and setting new standards and pushing the limits on gap/stair skating overall, which is something Reynolds played an integral role in doing. Him and a few others pretty much defined that whole era of skating. Doing "basic" tricks down huge shit that not too many people had the guts to step to before, despite what you might think, was and is progressive, just in a different way than doing NBDs.

I understand where you are coming from. I just don't like when the "go big or go home" stuff is in nearly all of the videos. It's tiresome. One of my favorite parts that puts a spin on that is from Ragdoll in Blackout. That was a breath of fresh air. He's amazing to watch. He came at skating big stuff with a different approach and a loose style, and was immediately ripped off by everybody. He usually gets a bad rap because of his clothes.

Part of me thinks you weren't skating around that time (late 90s to the later part of the mid 00s) because almost everyone was fucking tripping on Reynolds at the time.

I was around that time, and the other contemporaries like Rowley, Saari, Appleyard, BA and McCrank, were more interesting.

Especially with the Joslins of the world now putting out insane gap skating on Instagram.

I don't use Instagram, and I am not the biggest Joslin fan. Where are you getting that from? I am more than a Mango or Stuckey fan.

Once more, I love it when skating has some emotion, and character. Different strokes for different folks.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »
noble experiment understands nothing of issy, nothing!

Issy

« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2018, 06:53:40 PM »
noble experiment understands nothing of issy, nothing!

Hey, Noble Experiment is one of few respectable SLAP posters from what i can tell.

I said that GBU quote stuff because about 90% percent of rest are vitriol assholes.

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2018, 08:11:55 PM »
I've realized recently that a lot of y'all are stupid as shit. and this thread is no exception.

I'm a big fan of AA. At least used to be, but I think the formula of Hockey putting out a 1 min Instagram promo every other month for a new graphic does him more harm than good. I think he's always been a "less is more" type of skater, but with how much footage he's been putting out in the last 2 years, its turned into "more is less." I loved that Prevent this Tragedy part when it came out and would love to see him actually save clips for something meaningful again.

Swan Pablo might be the most talented skater of our generation, but if he doesn't put the footage out to demonstrate that, why should those of us who don't live in LA or NYC care about the skating that he's put out? Isn't the point of putting out a video part to gain fans who'd buy your shit? If he doesn't want to go that mainstream route of actually putting out footage he might be proud of then he definitely shouldn't be pro because that method won't sell boards. If he wants to skate like he does just for fun then I have no problem with that, he should just stop taking up an FA paycheck.

Andrew Reynolds is one of the greatest skaters of all time. Just because he isn't pushing the NBD envelope doesn't mean he isn't pushing skateboarding.
That's why i love his TIS 2 part, there's was some variety. It wasn't meaningless, it was significant, it had emotion.
I wasn't aware they made a sequel.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:22:17 PM by pinkbananastatus »
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

JPeterman

• Rep: 4
  • It'll always be Myanmar to me
« Reply #178 on: August 26, 2018, 08:32:26 PM »
Why was Reynolds even mentioned in this thread. I'll say TK, Shane Heyl (granted he isn't pro anymore but still) and I'll probably get hate for this but Aidan Mackey.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
« Reply #179 on: August 26, 2018, 10:39:00 PM »
its definitely lizzie armanto :(

when she was on that stupid etn poker show she didn't even come close to landing a wallie and barely made a slappy after three tries. she can totally do inverts though, if thats enough to have your name on a board.

Well, she just did the loop, and did it better than most of the other pros that stepped to it (including a bunch that got taken out)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 10:51:29 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea