Author Topic: Least talented pro skater  (Read 34700 times)

LOU.502

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • rawr
Re: Least talented pro skater
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2018, 12:03:19 AM »
I've realized recently that a lot of y'all are stupid as shit. and this thread is no exception.

I'm a big fan of AA. At least used to be, but I think the formula of Hockey putting out a 1 min Instagram promo every other month for a new graphic does him more harm than good. I think he's always been a "less is more" type of skater, but with how much footage he's been putting out in the last 2 years, its turned into "more is less." I loved that Prevent this Tragedy part when it came out and would love to see him actually save clips for something meaningful again.

Swan Pablo might be the most talented skater of our generation, but if he doesn't put the footage out to demonstrate that, why should those of us who don't live in LA or NYC care about the skating that he's put out? Isn't the point of putting out a video part to gain fans who'd buy your shit? If he doesn't want to go that mainstream route of actually putting out footage he might be proud of then he definitely shouldn't be pro because that method won't sell boards. If he wants to skate like he does just for fun then I have no problem with that, he should just stop taking up an FA paycheck.

Andrew Reynolds is one of the greatest skaters of all time. Just because he isn't pushing the NBD envelope doesn't mean he isn't pushing skateboarding.
Expand Quote
That's why i love his TIS 2 part, there's was some variety. It wasn't meaningless, it was significant, it had emotion.
[close]
I wasn't aware they made a sequel.
It was a bonus feature on the TIS double dvd set. I’m sure it’s on YouTube, it’s truly quite delightful and has one of the weirdly sexiest sw bs heels ever done.

Edit:
http://youtu.be/_ReRUHlD96Y

im probably lying

brettpancake

• Rep: 2
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2018, 01:02:58 AM »
Can we please appriciate Andrew Allens total lack of skill and general weight problems.

No we cannot.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2018, 03:36:06 AM »
I'd argue it really depends on the company, Pablo probably got the pro pass with it being more of a homies/friends brand, very tight knit and he came up with all those dudes and it'd be bad on him not being turned pro when all the people he skates with 24/7 got their own boards etc. Is he on the same level as someone pro for say Zero? Not at all but the same could be applied to alot of people on Magenta and other brands but then it starts leading back to equating being pro to having to be jumping up on rails or down big shit for a board/shoes/etc when at the end of the day being pro is getting paid to skate and promoting the companies who back/promote you which Sean Pablo does fairly well; might not like him/his outfits/etc but he (objectively) has a good style, a decent bag of tricks (albeit rinsed on every spot) and a decent following whereas TK just gets roasted for posting mediocre skatepark kid shit and his most memorable footage is him talking shit.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #183 on: August 27, 2018, 05:10:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Reynolds. He's a small bag of tricks, and skate the same ol spots over and over again since after The End.
[close]

are you fucking kidding?! Reynolds has every trick in the book. go watch any of his parts and actually WATCH. dude is easily top 3 GOAT.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2018, 05:21:04 AM »
Andrew Allen.The dude literally just skates curbs and banks.
Watch his old parts. KOOK

feedmeseymour

« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2018, 05:27:37 AM »
Expand Quote

Why does progression only pertain to doing NBDs for you? Yes, that is a form of progression in skateboarding, but you can progress skating in other ways as well, such as pushing the limits of just how big you can go on gaps and stairs and what tricks can be done down what, and setting new standards and pushing the limits on gap/stair skating overall, which is something Reynolds played an integral role in doing. Him and a few others pretty much defined that whole era of skating. Doing "basic" tricks down huge shit that not too many people had the guts to step to before, despite what you might think, was and is progressive, just in a different way than doing NBDs.

Part of me thinks you weren't skating around that time (late 90s to the later part of the mid 00s) because almost everyone was fucking tripping on Reynolds at the time and the shit he was doing and knew just how heavy the shit he was putting out really was. It's easy to look back a decade later at his older parts and not understand the impact his skating had if you weren't skating at that time, especially with the Joslins of the world now putting out insane gap skating on Instagram everyday that probably desensitized a lot of younger dudes to just how gnarly and progressive Reynolds stuff was when it first came out. I hate to be one of those "you just had to have been around at that time to understand" douches, but you just had to have been around at that time to understand.
[close]

You pushing the limits of just how big you can go on gaps and stairs and what tricks can be done down what, and setting new standards and pushing the limits on gap/stair skating overall, which is something Reynolds played an integral role in doing. Him and a few others pretty much defined that whole era of skating. Doing "basic" tricks down huge shit that not too many people had the guts to step to before, despite what you might think, was and is progressive, just in a different way than doing NBDs.

I understand where you are coming from. I just don't like when the "go big or go home" stuff is in nearly all of the videos. It's tiresome. One of my favorite parts that puts a spin on that is from Ragdoll in Blackout. That was a breath of fresh air. He's amazing to watch. He came at skating big stuff with a different approach and a loose style, and was immediately ripped off by everybody. He usually gets a bad rap because of his clothes.

Part of me thinks you weren't skating around that time (late 90s to the later part of the mid 00s) because almost everyone was fucking tripping on Reynolds at the time.

I was around that time, and the other contemporaries like Rowley, Saari, Appleyard, BA and McCrank, were more interesting.

Especially with the Joslins of the world now putting out insane gap skating on Instagram.

I don't use Instagram, and I am not the biggest Joslin fan. Where are you getting that from? I am more than a Mango or Stuckey fan.

Once more, I love it when skating has some emotion, and character. Different strokes for different folks.

look at you forming sentences and coherent thoughts without having to acting like an annoying kid trying to learn how to troll. proud of you issy.

cynical cow

• Rep: 27
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »
Expand Quote
its definitely lizzie armanto :(

when she was on that stupid etn poker show she didn't even come close to landing a wallie and barely made a slappy after three tries. she can totally do inverts though, if thats enough to have your name on a board.
[close]

Well, she just did the loop, and did it better than most of the other pros that stepped to it (including a bunch that got taken out)
So smooth too.

Dermbot

« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »
Since people keep berating Sean Pablo for "skating a six stair" for his ender, I assure you that rail is fucking tall and mellow as shit, not to mention stubby. Basically an over-waist-high flatbar set down some stairs. The fact that he back lipped that, and slid as much as he did, is impressive.

Hating on Sean Pablo has grown more annoying than Sean Pablo, himself. Is he the best? Of course not. Is he the worst? Also no.

Eye Sect Monster or whatever your name is, since you seem to have such a hard-on for anything that falls into "generic so-cal rail skating," care to comment on TK's trick down a seven-stair skatepark hubba in his Baker 3 part?

Also, how the fuck has no one said Neen Williams yet? Or did I miss that?

Never said TK was the best at all. Just said SP was worse than him. And its not just So-Cal rail skating. It would be dope if SP was putting lines together like Brian Wenning but front blunt flat ledge then backtail shuv next ledge is just not professional rank skating; which is the topic. You should still have to be actually good at skating and not just wearing clothes. TK looks like shit when he skates, but he has variety in tricks and spots and skates more than just regular. like fakie or switch or nollie. you know, things that involve some kind of talent. again, the topic of conversation.

MisterX

• Rep: 50
« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
Chris Gregson is someone I have always seen as a bit of a 3-trick pony.  In his defense I have never seen him skate in person, and  I do appreciate his filming.

Like others have stated, I cannot believe Reynolds name was even brought up in here.  My theory has always been the reason we see so much coverage of FS Flips from him is simply because who wouldn't want to shoot him doing one?  He's also just giving us all what we really want.

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
Expand Quote

when she was on that stupid etn poker show she didn't even come close to landing a wallie and barely made a slappy after three tries. she can totally do inverts though, if thats enough to have your name on a board.
[close]

Well, she just did the loop, and did it better than most of the other pros that stepped to it (including a bunch that got taken out)

She did the loop, but Burnquist did the loop switch with a gap in it like 10 years ago or more. Alot less impressive.

Dermbot

« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
Expand Quote

Are you actually serious?

Also, Baker 2g ender was kickflip noseslide UCI hubba.
[close]

Yes, I am serious. Again, Reynolds is great, and I am a fan of his. It's just he doesn't have that much variety in tricks. I critique my favorites all the time when they do something underwhelming, I am not a blind fanboy. He also did do a kickflip backside noseslide down a UCI hubba in the End, which was better.

Wow.

His "filler tricks" between his ender fs flip and kickflips are switch back heel down carlsbad gap and back 3 down 13s. fakie 360 flips 11s. does good ledge and table work. puts together some of the best lines as far as trick flow. for ever. and has style. He nollie nose manualed courthouse back when we were all learning how to ollie over 4 boards stacked primo.... you are off the richter. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:59:07 AM by Sect Eye Monster »

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2018, 11:46:41 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Jamie Thomas. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who was ever naturally gifted at skateboarding so much as being someone who grinds his way to proficiency at stuff through working really hard. And this isn't hating on him at all, I find that admirable. He just doesn't seem like an Antwuan Dixon type who did a kickflip the first time he tried.

Again, not hating. Also, this all depends on how you view the notion of talent.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2018, 11:55:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

She did the loop, but Burnquist did the loop switch with a gap in it like 10 years ago or more. Alot less impressive.

I know you're trolling and being an asshole, but Vov skating vert/mega/stunt shit is like Daewon on tech skating. It's still impressive if you do something close to what they did a decade ago.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »
Breaks my heart to come on here seeing people talking shit on AA. As someone else once wisely stated “AA is a national tresure and should be preserved.”

Style for days and has killed it for so damn long. Should be on most talented skater list.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

crustynosepick

• Rep: -56
« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »
Breaks my heart to come on here seeing people talking shit on AA. As someone else once wisely stated “AA is a national tresure and should be preserved.”

Style for days and has killed it for so damn long. Should be on most talented skater list.

You might want some lube next time you try to ride his dick.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You might want some lube next time you try to ride his dick.

No vasaline.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

ballintoohard

« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »
I'll get so much shit but Puleo and Penny.

Penny did a few cool tricks in 1996 then never followed it up. His "style" was non-existant by the Es video and his same tricks got worse and worse.

Puleo just sounds bitter and has skated what seems to be the same 5 lines on cellar doors for about 15 years.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2018, 01:50:25 PM »

Penny did a few cool tricks in 1996 then never followed it up. His "style" was non-existant by the Es video and his same tricks got worse and worse.

Puleo just sounds bitter and has skated what seems to be the same 5 lines on cellar doors for about 15 years.
Yeah I'll be the first person to give you shit. Penny is basically the epitome of talent. Effortless style and ability, everything first try. The fact that he was lazy and got into drugs doesn't mean he wasn't a generational talent.

Puleo was talented too. It seems like you're just not a fan of either of these guys, but that doesn't mean they aren't talented.

Dermbot

« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah I'll be the first person to give you shit. Penny is basically the epitome of talent. Effortless style and ability, everything first try.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2018, 03:33:46 PM »
Every YouTube "professional" skater is the correct answer.

There are some fucked up ideas of a least talented skater in here though.. ..Penny, Reynolds, AA.. ...

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »

There are some fucked up ideas of a least talented skater in here though.. ..Penny, Reynolds, AA.. ...

surprised nobody mentioned good old andy shrock and the revive ? team (had to think about that one for a second) but yeah they're pretty bad too.

ballintoohard

« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2018, 05:09:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yeah I'll be the first person to give you shit. Penny is basically the epitome of talent. Effortless style and ability, everything first try. The fact that he was lazy and got into drugs doesn't mean he wasn't a generational talent.

Puleo was talented too. It seems like you're just not a fan of either of these guys, but that doesn't mean they aren't talented.

I see your point. And I loved Penny- when I was 13 I made a fanpage on Angelfire or something. I think I was most bummed that he wasted the talent and the correct term would be "Never fully made use of talent".

Not Puleo though. He had a few OK lines in the Static parts and I liked his BS Nosegrinds, but damn did it get super repetitive and we're in a thread where people are going on for pages about a current pro not being good because he only does the same tricks. In a way you can say the same about Penny.

Pigeon

« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2018, 10:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

surprised nobody mentioned good old andy shrock and the revive ? team (had to think about that one for a second) but yeah they're pretty bad too.
They aren’t real pros, so they don’t count.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2018, 12:12:39 AM »
fucking hell, people are mentioning the boss, penny and puleo in this thread?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

sweatin

« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2018, 12:14:13 AM »
andy roy?

JPeterman

• Rep: 4
  • It'll always be Myanmar to me
« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2018, 12:55:59 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Jamie Thomas. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who was ever naturally gifted at skateboarding so much as being someone who grinds his way to proficiency at stuff through working really hard. And this isn't hating on him at all, I find that admirable. He just doesn't seem like an Antwuan Dixon type who did a kickflip the first time he tried.

Again, not hating. Also, this all depends on how you view the notion of talent.

Anyone who can front feeble ledges properly is talented in my books. Regardless, the fact that Antwaun did a kickflip the first time he tried doesn't necessarily mean that every trick he did afterwards came just as easily.

ralf_

• Rep: -32
  • yo
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2018, 01:49:51 AM »
fun fun fun

Issy

« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2018, 02:08:52 AM »

He just doesn't seem like an Antwuan Dixon type who did a kickflip the first time he tried.

Huh?

https://youtu.be/l8qtNXFe3jI
https://youtu.be/dFv8z6F-4uQ
https://youtu.be/NdDAQiSwKJo

notcool

« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2018, 05:31:55 PM »
If AA wore normal clothes would be just a random guy at skatepark.