Author Topic: Skateboarding of big decks?  (Read 15001 times)

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skateboarding of big decks?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2018, 04:23:14 PM »
Why does anyone think shoe size has anything to do with board size?  Back in the 90’s and 00’s, tons of tall dudes with big feet ripped on boards well under 8” and tons of little dudes skate giant boards today.  I’m a size 12 and the best skating I ever did was in puffy shoes on 7.75 decks.  I skate slightly bigger boards now just because that’s what I set up after a long hiatus, but board size is based much more on personal preference and the type of skating someone is trying to do than it is on height and shoe size.

mr.macho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
  • Holla if ya hear me
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
Confirmed.
Creature used to be a "go-to" for 8.5+ decks, specifically 8.8's and it is slim pickens in their new fall releases. Lots of 8.25 and 8's though. ☹️

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »
You CAN get super tech with a wide board and high trucks but it's way fucking easier to do it on a 7.75 with lows and small wheels.

I think you'll see more smaller setups in the near future just because no complys are falling out of fashion again and people are going to figure out they don't need a weight belt in their setup while getting tech. (Full disclosure: I'll still be pretending like nothing past the 80's ever happened)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »
no complys are falling out of fashion again

How did you come to that conclusion?  I’m not saying you’re wrong.

I’ve got to believe wider boards are going to be around for a long time, because:

A)  They are more versatile.  Seems like there are less skaters that only skate transition or only skate street spots. 

B)  They really aren’t that hard to flip.  Unless you are trying to do an early 90s era triple kick flip to late shove off a loading dock, a smaller board just won’t help that much.

C) It’s more badass.  You are essentially saying “I don’t need any fucking help to flip my board.”  If you can do all your shit on a big board.  Who would want to drop down to ride a dainty 7.5 deck?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

JPeterman

• Rep: 4
  • It'll always be Myanmar to me
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 08:28:10 PM »
I've been skating 8.5's the past couple years up from an 8.25, before that it was an 8 and before that was 7.75. I've got size 12 feet so makes flicking feel a whole lot better.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 12:27:44 AM »
Skate whatever you like,have or feels right doesn’t matter I think but I’m not core
8.25 + is to big for me..

I like 7.75-8 but I suck and like flip tricks.
I was standing on 8.25 chocolate eldy board the other day and the tail felt huge

brandonhinge

• Rep: -9
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 03:06:01 AM »

thisisnotepic

• Rep: 88
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 03:56:52 AM »
Expand Quote
no complys are falling out of fashion again
[close]

How did you come to that conclusion?  I’m not saying you’re wrong.

I’ve got to believe wider boards are going to be around for a long time, because:

A)  They are more versatile.  Seems like there are less skaters that only skate transition or only skate street spots. 

B)  They really aren’t that hard to flip.  Unless you are trying to do an early 90s era triple kick flip to late shove off a loading dock, a smaller board just won’t help that much.

C) It’s more badass.  You are essentially saying “I don’t need any fucking help to flip my board.” If you can do all your shit on a big board.  Who would want to drop down to ride a dainty 7.5 deck?

One could argue that at the same time you're saying, "I need a bigger surface area to work with in order to land tricks because I'm not proficient enough to land proper." If you see older threads on this topic, plenty of people claim wide boards for the purposes of landing tricks easier. I feel being precise enough to land bolts on a thin board is pretty badass. Skaters like Wenning are definitely badass. In any case, I agree wide boards are sticking for a while.

Anyway, separate thought: Like others are saying, it's all preference. I think creating factions over which is better/more badass/whatever is useless considering skaters are the most obsessive compulsive people and will (or at least should) always stick to whatever little particular thing works best for them personally. I can say that I was able to do everything on an 8.125" that I could do on an 8" or lower, but the fraction of a difference drove me fucking nuts the entire time I had the board. I adapted, but there was no truly getting used to it.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 04:18:20 AM »
I just got my first 10er since 87, and I gotta say, it’s fucking fun.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 05:31:07 AM »
Never went bigger then a 7.75 in over 20 years. I'm impressed with kids Tre Flipping 9's

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 05:53:06 AM »
One of my earliest boards was a superwide board with a nose, it was better than the noseless old skool board, but I was sure thankful to get a real board shortly after-streamlined symmetrical etc. Are we going back to the big boards because the established paradigm is becoming exhausted and taking on a handicap is the only way to keep it interesting? It seems that way to me...

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »
Over the last couple years I worked up from 7.87 to 8.25 and I’m really liking that size now. I prefer super deep concaves with steep tail/nose and it seems easier to find those as the width goes up. It also seems to work out that the combination of shapes and graphics I like always happen to be 8.25 whereas when I was riding 8 or smaller I always found myself saying “fuck, I wish they made that in an 8”

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
Which (good) brands even currently put out <8.0"s?
Polar, Pass-Port, Krooked and Magenta do.

I have two setups with shaped boards that are 8.125s but I'll stick to a 7.875 for my regular setup. Kids think I'm weird especially as I have big feet (11.5) but it's what works for me (with 139s and 52s).

Lots of pros skate small boards: Daewon, Barletta, Kelly Hart and PJ for example. There are many more though. It's just not something you hear about much as big boards are what the cool thing these days.

berries and a twig

• Rep: -7
  • fucking steak
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
7.75 and the smallest ventures .... cause i have a tiny wiener.. and baggy pants.

seriously though... to all of those things.

Honestly just the most comfortable to me bigger boards just feel like a brick to flick... maybe my ankles are just weak... weak ankles and a tiny dink thats me.
Shouldn’t it be “Cory Kennedy off Nike”?  Pretty sure there’s a way to edit titles of threads.

ohmygodbees

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »
my experience with decks smaller than 8" is a lot of rolled ankles.  Might have been ill fitting footwear but I don't have this problem anymore with 8.25".  I can flip them fine with hollow Indys

Same here... spent the extra dough on hollow Indy trucks. Super durable.   My big ass breaks and thrashes trucks waaaaay too easy(im 6'5" 220lbs) but they don't seem much lighter than other Indy's. Weight to me seems to be a bigger factor in flipping more so than deck size.

Sidewalk Funk.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »
Nothing feels better to me than a 7.875. Skated 8.0s and 8.125s for a full year to give it a shot, but something about a 7.875 just feels the most right and works the best for me.

daditude adjustment

• Rep: 21
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »
I'm 6'4" and wear size 13 shoes. I love that big boards have become a thing, but I feel bad for people who want skinnier boards and can't find them, I've read that book before. I remember searching for 8.25s at shops in the early 2000s, and now I can find 8.75 at most shops, It's amazing.
I hope that since the new norm is everyone will have their own board company, different companies will carry different sizes so everyone will be covered.

Not Local

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 08:19:48 PM »
Why does anyone think shoe size has anything to do with board size?  Back in the 90’s and 00’s, tons of tall dudes with big feet ripped on boards well under 8” and tons of little dudes skate giant boards today.  I’m a size 12 and the best skating I ever did was in puffy shoes on 7.75 decks.  I skate slightly bigger boards now just because that’s what I set up after a long hiatus, but board size is based much more on personal preference and the type of skating someone is trying to do than it is on height and shoe size.

Yeah, I was also one of those dudes with size 12 feel trying to skate 7.5" decks and it did not work for me at all. I understand it works for some but I look at photos/ video of that era and I look off. And the amount of boards I broke was ridiculous. Wider boards really helped my skateboarding and I think toe and heel overlap had something to do with that. I could go as low as 8.25" again but I like 8.5" or slightly wider these days. Funny you mention puffy shoes also... they also fucked me up... last pair I had were some Savier BAs. Sick shoes but I prefer broken toes and heel bruises over not being able to feel my board.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 08:30:53 PM »
do you guys live in the midwest or something?

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2018, 07:43:44 AM »
It would be fun if boards widened more...like to 13 inches or something. It would basically be like a flying carpet.
Also, if the accompanying trend was to go with as thin of trucks as you could find, so it's like a flying carpet on an inline blade. I think this would push skateboarding to new places it's never been done seen befo.

Putaslocas

• Rep: -291
  • EAT SHIT AND DIE
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
I think the fact that theres so many different shapes and sizes that people are open to skating that nothing is gonna have a real “come back”. Everything is just in and might/will likely stay in. People with a size 8 shoe skate 8.5+ decks. Some have giant feet and still prefer a small board. I think people like that there are options to explore and will continue searching till the find what works or search if they feel they need a change.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2018, 08:52:35 AM »
if a girl can wear high heels and walk, I can skate a 7.5 deck.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
I remember having to search shop to shop and online for 8.25s in the mid 2000s. I'm so glad it's easier now. I can even be sure that anywhere I go will have my preferred size of 8.375, but I'm down with anything in the range of 8.25-8.5. Bastien Salabanzi was skating 8.25s a 14 year old in the Sorry days and he had no problem getting the board around. If you have trouble flipping over an 8, it's because your flick is weak. Get your shit together.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2018, 07:50:31 PM »
I remember having to search shop to shop and online for 8.25s in the mid 2000s. I'm so glad it's easier now. I can even be sure that anywhere I go will have my preferred size of 8.375, but I'm down with anything in the range of 8.25-8.5. Bastien Salabanzi was skating 8.25s a 14 year old in the Sorry days and he had no problem getting the board around. If you have trouble flipping over an 8, it's because your flick is weak. Get your shit together.

Seriously. Look at what they are doing to Kader...8.47", 159s, big ass wheels, he's going to be a powerhouse when he gets bigger.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2018, 09:15:28 AM »
I wear a size 11 shoe and skate 8.5’s. It’s not even skating a “big” board for me, it’s more skating a board I can actually stand on. I recall in the early 2000’s having to drive from shop to shop just to see if they had an 8.0 deck... I remember when Yeah Right came out, Girl and Chocolate only made 7.5’s and 7.625’s... maybe a rare 7.75. Trust me, I’m really glad times changed.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

MarmaladeCoyote

• Rep: -2
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2018, 10:20:22 AM »
I'm 33, 6'6'' and wear size 13 shoes.  I like a good 9.25.  Also love the weird shapes coming out...Winkowski's stuff is great.  Also the BA shaped deck from Anti Hero...love them.  I saw on Chief's instagram the other day Zero is about release a shaped 9.25.  Can't wait for that.  Will be the first Zero deck I purchase since 2001.  I'm old, I don't flip my board much these days so the larger decks are great for me. 

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2018, 11:24:23 AM »
 I've found that I snap boards easier if they are under 8  :'(

IHOP

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2018, 11:34:16 AM »
I dont know if there is a solid trend line anymore, initially I was going to say "yes people are going smaller" because Ive noticed pros and skaters around me going down to smaller boards, but then i remembered the polar video and since that will be video of the year, you will definitely see more soft wheels and giant boards.  Theres a lot more room for everything these days not just what the mags show.

SkateChimney

• Rep: -29
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
I'm 6'4" and wear size 13 shoes. I love that big boards have become a thing, but I feel bad for people who want skinnier boards and can't find them, I've read that book before. I remember searching for 8.25s at shops in the early 2000s, and now I can find 8.75 at most shops, It's amazing.
I hope that since the new norm is everyone will have their own board company, different companies will carry different sizes so everyone will be covered.

this is a really nice comment, we dont deserve you

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
It’s funny how people say they ride bigger boards coz they are old
I ride smaller boards because I’m old and that’s what I grew up skating so it feels right

Preference is interesting but you really can’t be faulted on it