Author Topic: Bastien Salabanzi | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 109  (Read 9760 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

ChiefSQueff

• Rep: -263
Re: Bastien Salabanzi | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 109
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:37:55 AM »
The guests have been lacking lately. Who wants to listen to bastien talk about himself for 2 hours? Fuck this

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:52:42 AM »
Fuck you. It was a good interview and there was some new Penny insight. Glad to hear he was able to recover from his kneweinjury.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 05:05:06 AM »
The guests have been lacking lately. Who wants to listen to bastien talk about himself for 2 hours? Fuck this

To each his own, but Bastien is a guy with a story to tell that hasn't been largely covered so far. I'm sure this is interesting to a lot people, myself included.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 05:36:29 AM »
yeah, it would be much more interesting having bastien talk about someone else who he has never met in his
life for like 2 hours. Queff, you are truely a genius. what an innovative podcast format that would be. amazing.

howtotictac

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:39:36 AM »
We're used to Crob blindly praising his guests opinons. But now he stated that Jart was a "great company". Please Mr Roberts, hypocrisy has its limits.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 06:09:19 AM »
This was a really good one. "Eight point two and a half" confuses me. I know what he's saying and I couldn't do a metric conversion on the fly but still.

augor

• Rep: -25
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 06:27:05 AM »
How can Chris be so embedded in not just skateboarding but living in skateboard central southern California and have no idea about skateboarding?

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
How can Chris be so embedded in not just skateboarding but living in skateboard central southern California and have no idea about skateboarding?

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »
I had always heard the rumor that after some skate comp he was seen with a crack pipe and thats the reasons he got kicked of all his sponnos, glad to hear that it was on his own accord wanting to go back to france!
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

shit_for_brains

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 09:36:37 AM »
I had always heard the rumor that after some skate comp he was seen with a crack pipe and thats the reasons he got kicked of all his sponnos, glad to hear that it was on his own accord wanting to go back to france!

Nobody gets kicked off anything for smoking crack.

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »

I was at that famous Prague contest in 2007 I think, where he really seemed to be off his rocker. That's where he allegedly did blow on top of the ramps and he got kicked off / quit his sponsors soon after that.

He was definitely acting strange, crazy ego-tripping on the course. Mid-run going to the crowd stands to borrow a skate key, talking to himself etc. If he wasn't fucked up, he put on a good show. People were tripping like what the fuck is he doing. He didn't seem well.

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah smoking crack definitely doesn't mean you lose your sponsors

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 12:27:19 PM »
I thought it was known that Flip made up a lot of rumors in an attempt to blackball him from the industry because he didn't wanna kf backlip el toro or whatever.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
I thought it was known that Flip made up a lot of rumors in an attempt to blackball him from the industry because he didn't wanna kf backlip el toro or whatever.

Expand Quote
[close]
bastien got fucked by a couple white boys w/ no vaseline.
they lied on him and w/held his video part for a decade or so til lots of people had caught up and he couldn't style on them hoes.
i'm glad they're letting him have a 2nd act.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 01:14:43 PM »
Only a few minutes in but I’m stoked he described European Handball. My lower back woes started from a high school game of this but whenever I mention it to anybody they’ve never heard of it. Apparently it only exists in Germany, France, and Saratoga Springs, NY.
SPB!

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 01:30:16 PM »

that's when he says in the jenkem inteview.  he also outright denies doing coke on the ramp.
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2011/10/06/squashing-rumors-with-bastien-salabanzi/

Only a few minutes in but I’m stoked he described European Handball. My lower back woes started from a high school game of this but whenever I mention it to anybody they’ve never heard of it. Apparently it only exists in Germany, France, and Saratoga Springs, NY.

i went to an overnight camp on the MA/NH border where a good euro play could turn a boy into a king.  game is unreal fun.  wish it caught on the states. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 01:47:32 PM »
so is trying to appeal to Americans why Jart graphics suck?

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 01:54:38 PM »

That is too bad as Bastien is awesome and this episode had a ton of laughs and insight. Easily one of the best.

Thank Bastien and the Nine Club crew.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 01:57:52 PM »
haven't bastien been on before? like around the time he skated sls?

also way to not talk about "they don't give a fuck about us" when he mentioned it. classic

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
they lied on him and w/held his video part for a decade or so til lots of people had caught up and he couldn't style on them hoes.

Focus your account.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 02:14:13 PM »
"The mind is insane" Chris Roberts

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 02:14:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Although it's probably too controversial for their target audience, I wish they would have touched that. Seeing not just Bastien's career, but the culture as a whole (because Bastien really was in the process of writing history at the time) sabotaged by the industry just because of the sponsors' interests was one of the first things to ever really bum me out on it. Naive young me was really bummed nobody would somehow leak that bit of general progression.

I was pleasantly surprised by how articulate Bastien is now. He has come a long way since the wildness of his early days. Come to think of his old ego trips under the light shed by this episode on his upbringing, I understand them a lot better now. Always thought he was a showman. I never expected him to be that much of a skate nerd either, he seems really passionate and liked to go in-depth about tricks and mental processes. Loved that.

My brain is numb to hearing "the Sorry video" ever again.

Chris Roberts is picture perfect for the job, but way too much.

One of the best videos on the Internet needs a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s1PPgX9k6M
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:17:23 PM by silhouette »

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 02:33:49 PM »
Pretty nuts that he never did real rails until the Flip video then threw down hard. Doesn't really compute.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 02:58:46 PM »
"The mind is insane" Chris Roberts
lol he does a good job for the most part but he really is a dumbass

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was at that famous Prague contest in 2007 I think, where he really seemed to be off his rocker. That's where he allegedly did blow on top of the ramps and he got kicked off / quit his sponsors soon after that.

He was definitely acting strange, crazy ego-tripping on the course. Mid-run going to the crowd stands to borrow a skate key, talking to himself etc. If he wasn't fucked up, he put on a good show. People were tripping like what the fuck is he doing. He didn't seem well.
Here’s the video
Bastien killed the contest so they threw him off 😁
https://youtu.be/1YCbQjFpmow
ableSkateMag.com

getonkrooked

• Rep: -104
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Although it's probably too controversial for their target audience, I wish they would have touched that. Seeing not just Bastien's career, but the culture as a whole (because Bastien really was in the process of writing history at the time) sabotaged by the industry just because of the sponsors' interests was one of the first things to ever really bum me out on it. Naive young me was really bummed nobody would somehow leak that bit of general progression.

I was pleasantly surprised by how articulate Bastien is now. He has come a long way since the wildness of his early days. Come to think of his old ego trips under the light shed by this episode on his upbringing, I understand them a lot better now. Always thought he was a showman. I never expected him to be that much of a skate nerd either, he seems really passionate and liked to go in-depth about tricks and mental processes. Loved that.

My brain is numb to hearing "the Sorry video" ever again.

Chris Roberts is picture perfect for the job, but way too much.

One of the best videos on the Internet needs a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s1PPgX9k6M

The greatest contest run of all time.
About his antics at contests, just imagine how would you act with the adrenaline of landing every trick you can think of in front of an audience going batshit crazy for you (Prague especially). Bastien seems like an eccentric guy so boom... you have a show.

All in all this was a great episode and Bastien is a legend!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »
Good interview, although a lot of it was a repeat from the first Motivation movie

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 05:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

just ask Dill

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 06:34:29 PM »
Really great episode, such a chill humble guy. I'm sure the industry heads were listening waiting for something negative to be said about what happened to Bastien. Granted I wasn't expecting Nine Club to dive into it and sure enough they didn't. Here hoping for a Jenkem interview where it all gets put on the table. I felt like Bastien held back from saying things. In his weekend buzz he briefly mentioned about him and french Fred not getting along and the tension between them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:47:50 PM by Monkey_Mcpott »