Author Topic: Bastien Salabanzi | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 109  (Read 9770 times)

Budgie Lasek

Re: Bastien Salabanzi | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 109
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »
Really great episode, such a chill humble guy. I'm sure the industry heads were listening waiting for something negative to be said about what happened to Bastien. Granted I wasn't expecting Nine Club to dive into it and sure enough they didn't. Here hoping for a Jenkem interview where it all gets put on the table. I felt like Bastien held back from saying things. In his weekend buzz he briefly mentioned about him and french Fred not getting along and the tension between them.

They did go into why he left Flip, and all his other sponsors in tow. He even said he was difficult to deal with at that time and basically sabotaged himself.

There's also been a Jenkem interview with a more Jenkem version of things.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 07:08:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Really great episode, such a chill humble guy. I'm sure the industry heads were listening waiting for something negative to be said about what happened to Bastien. Granted I wasn't expecting Nine Club to dive into it and sure enough they didn't. Here hoping for a Jenkem interview where it all gets put on the table. I felt like Bastien held back from saying things. In his weekend buzz he briefly mentioned about him and french Fred not getting along and the tension between them.
[close]

They did go into why he left Flip, and all his other sponsors in tow. He even said he was difficult to deal with at that time and basically sabotaged himself.

There's also been a Jenkem interview with a more Jenkem version of things.

Fuck me. Cant believe I missed this. Thanks

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2011/10/06/squashing-rumors-with-bastien-salabanzi/

straight fucking edge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »

there was a jenkem interview with him a while back
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
I remember a late 90s tour article (maybe it was Transworld) and little boy Bastien got a photo in there  doing a back smith on a fun box. Within a year or so he had his am check out and ads. I always thought that was some sick foreshadowing into his blowing up. He also had that 20 some odd page Thrasher interview that had some really sick shit in. Glad he's still out there at least.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In the Thrasher interview with him fakie flipping that brick 11 stair on the cover, it mentions that Flip dropped French Fred around the time Really Sorry was released after Fred cracked it at Bastien and choked him out in the van.

**This memory is from reading the mag 10+ years ago so may not be entirely perfect in recollection.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In the Thrasher interview with him fakie flipping that brick 11 stair on the cover, it mentions that Flip dropped French Fred around the time Really Sorry was released after Fred cracked it at Bastien and choked him out in the van.

**This memory is from reading the mag 10+ years ago so may not be entirely perfect in recollection.

Found it! Thanks for that!

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bastien+Salabanzi%3A+the+Thrasher+interview.-a0110458893

Tell the story about the time in Spain when Fred put you in the headlock--the Fredlock.

When he put my head in the seat? That was seriously right before his nervous breakdown. If Rune is not in the van, we're not allowed to even play with a lighter in front of Fred. He will brake in the freeway and kill us. I was just rolling a cigarette or something. We were not even rolling. we were waiting for you guys and I was rolling and he grabbed me by my neck. He slapped my hand and everything flew up by my face. I was like, "Why did you do that shit?" Then he went crazy and grabbed me by my neck.

Are you friends with him now?

I will never be really friends, but we try to, like, work together. You know?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bastien+Salabanzi%3A+the+Thrasher+interview.-a0110458893

Tell the story about the time in Spain when Fred put you in the headlock--the Fredlock.

When he put my head in the seat? That was seriously right before his nervous breakdown. If Rune is not in the van, we're not allowed to even play with a lighter in front of Fred. He will brake in the freeway and kill us. I was just rolling a cigarette or something. We were not even rolling. we were waiting for you guys and I was rolling and he grabbed me by my neck. He slapped my hand and everything flew up by my face. I was like, "Why did you do that shit?" Then he went crazy and grabbed me by my neck.

Still doesn't explain Fred's gay outfit

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -480
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 10:13:04 PM »
The guests have been lacking lately. Who wants to listen to bastien talk about himself for 2 hours? Fuck this

Seems right up your alley really. It’s all you do on here.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

froufroufox

• Rep: 31
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »
How can Chris be so embedded in not just skateboarding but living in skateboard central southern California and have no idea about skateboarding?

He’s def more oblivious than some but I’m betting he acts like he doesn’t know about certain things to generate a discussion.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 01:39:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Still doesn't explain Fred's gay outfit

LOL
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:49:49 AM by Burt Ward »
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 05:32:33 AM »
Only a few minutes in but I’m stoked he described European Handball. My lower back woes started from a high school game of this but whenever I mention it to anybody they’ve never heard of it. Apparently it only exists in Germany, France, and Saratoga Springs, NY.

They play it in the olympics. It's pretty entertaining.

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 07:52:56 AM »
Expand Quote
How can Chris be so embedded in not just skateboarding but living in skateboard central southern California and have no idea about skateboarding?
[close]

He’s def more oblivious than some but I’m betting he acts like he doesn’t know about certain things to generate a discussion.

i think he's fucking terrified of having a public, critical opinion on any person or brand in skateboarding

during the mj interview you could tell marc wanted to go futher into leaving chocolate and lakai but chris kept trying to steer the interview away, i think chris genuinely wants to avoid criticizing anyone in the industry

i mean, probably a smart career move, just doesn't always make for a good interview

also the dude is basically a soundboard of 7 or 8 different replies at this point

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 09:56:04 AM »
I was really hoping they would go into the details of his lost part release. Oh well.

i used to skate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 10:15:19 AM »
I had always heard the rumor that after some skate comp he was seen with a crack pipe and thats the reasons he got kicked of all his sponnos, glad to hear that it was on his own accord wanting to go back to france!

idk, i think he's leaving something out of the story. in the interview he says that he left Flip BECAUSE he wanted to go back to France. but then he says he wanted to go back to France because he didnt want to skate with anyone else besides them (implying that they split before he made the decision to go back)

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2018, 10:58:29 AM »
good episode

they really gotta do something about that table though, every time someone puts their hand on it the whole shit starts wobbling

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »
his "lost" part is soooo heavy
hardly art, hardly starving

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 01:45:41 PM »
skated like a rollerblader

Get the strap

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »
Expand Quote
I had always heard the rumor that after some skate comp he was seen with a crack pipe and thats the reasons he got kicked of all his sponnos, glad to hear that it was on his own accord wanting to go back to france!
[close]

idk, i think he's leaving something out of the story. in the interview he says that he left Flip BECAUSE he wanted to go back to France. but then he says he wanted to go back to France because he didnt want to skate with anyone else besides them (implying that they split before he made the decision to go back)

I caught that too, he definitely re-told the story about 5 minutes apart a little differently...who knows...it doesn't really matter. I think it might have been just a language barrier that Bastien used the wrong tense or something...maybe Crob was asking before moving to France and quitting Flip did you want to ride for anyone else? And Bastien explained it in broken english.

ralf_

• Rep: -32
  • yo
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »
skated like a rollerblader

boom. on point. when i was "young" a guy i knew (older brother of a mongo pushing friend) sometimes skated with a sponsored skater who one time did skate with bastien. boy was that a trip! he was a full on super star and role model for a german kid from the countryside. all we ever watched skatewise was contest vhs tapes though, so...
fun fun fun

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »
his "lost" part is soooo heavy

watched that for the first time yesterday, super good

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »
When Kelly had a request for a trick he wanted to see for Bastien's upcoming thing for the Berrics I thought he was gonna say crook back lip followed by celebratory big up yourself fist pump.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 25
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
I'm sure Wu Welsh did a cab fakie manny?

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
I read in a magazine back in the day the kf  front board in SF was first try. LIES!
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1467
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2018, 02:42:46 AM »

yes, I remember that too, but can't remember which vid. kelly clarified he wants to see a cab flip sw nosemanny

Plop

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2018, 09:00:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yes, I remember that too, but can't remember which vid. kelly clarified he wants to see a cab flip sw nosemanny

fully flared

noninjasinstreetfighter

• Rep: 19
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2018, 11:47:13 AM »
It’s sick that Prod and Bastien are on the same team. If only Evan Hernandez kept skating...